Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Oxfordfox83

MOTD Thread 2020/21

On 17/03/2021 at 04:02, Carl the Llama said:

Somebody needs to tell this country's commentators that Tielemans is not a French name so they can stop trying that silly "on" sound at the end of his name like he's a 24h race track.

13 minutes ago, PhillippaT said:

Actually, I checked this, and it's in French that they'd pronounce it "mans", whereas in Flemish they'd pronounce it "mons" so there :P :D 

EDIT: Well what do you know - there's a site here that speaks it for you:  https://forvo.com/word/tielemans/

Eagerly awaiting the reply from the man who speaks French and lived in Belgium...

giphy.gif

33 minutes ago, PhillippaT said:

Actually, I checked this, and it's in French that they'd pronounce it "mans", whereas in Flemish they'd pronounce it "mons" so there :P :D 

EDIT: Well what do you know - there's a site here that speaks it for you:  https://forvo.com/word/tielemans/

I was talking about the dropped s.  Notice how the Dutch pronunciations emphasise it if anything.

Do any of the commentators put on a Northern Irish accent when pronouncing Brendan Rodgers? I appreciate some people think they're being polite, but there's a touch of pretentiousness about it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Do any of the commentators put on a Northern Irish accent when pronouncing Brendan Rodgers? I appreciate some people think they're being polite, but there's a touch of pretentiousness about it. 

I’m now imagining them dropping into a Brummie accent for “Grealish”

3 hours ago, PhillippaT said:

French is a messy language and pronunciation of foreign names in French is a minefield.

Having grown up in Brussels, I can vouch that the French-speaking AND Flemish-speaking Belgians would pronounce the ending "mans". Probably the OHL contingent on here can confirm @KlaaZ@Bonanza.

Maybe proper Frenchies in France would pronounce it "moonz" or something messed up like it. 

Still makes me smirk whenever I see videos with Stringer saying "Nockart" with a silent 'k'.
I don't really mind when names are being anglicized/pronounced as a local name, as long as it's done consistently - like when NFP insisted he'd call Wasilewski "Martin" and not "Marsin/Marzin"

17 minutes ago, shen said:

French is a messy language and pronunciation of foreign names in French is a minefield.

Having grown up in Brussels, I can vouch that the French-speaking AND Flemish-speaking Belgians would pronounce the ending "mans". Probably the OHL contingent on here can confirm @KlaaZ@Bonanza.

Maybe proper Frenchies in France would pronounce it "moonz" or something messed up like it. 

Still makes me smirk whenever I see videos with Stringer saying "Nockart" with a silent 'k'.
I don't really mind when names are being anglicized/pronounced as a local name, as long as it's done consistently - like when NFP insisted he'd call Wasilewski "Martin" and not "Marsin/Marzin"

I think Stringer used to say 'kernockaert,' didn't he? I think he said he'd asked him how it's pronounced.

5 hours ago, Webbo said:

I always say Shola Ameobi in full on Geordie

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Webbo said:

They're just showing great character if they do.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Wanted to just put on record Ashley Williams and his attempt to say 'yannow' a thousand times on MOTD tonight.

Having watched MOTD this morning, I just came in here to post this sentiment.

I couldn't concentrate on whatever it was he was saying, I was just waiting for the next "You know".

If you can't speak without a verbal tic like that, maybe you shouldn't be in broadcast media. :dunno:

3 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Having watched MOTD this morning, I just came in here to post this sentiment.

I couldn't concentrate on whatever it was he was saying, I was just waiting for the next "You know".

If you can't speak without a verbal tic like that, maybe you shouldn't be in broadcast media. :dunno:

At least Williams is a rarely used pundit. Joe Cole on the other hand struggles to put a sentence together, speaks far too quickly and gets ahead of himself and starts stumbling over his words, yet BT have for some reason decided he's their number 1 pundit and he's on every week.

Edited by Facecloth

A lot of pundits are poor.  Decent footballers often make poor public broadcasters.

I propose a reversal of policy.  Good broadcasters should spend  time as crap footballers before being unleashed as decent pundits.

This would allow teams like Coventry, if they recruited people who could speak as well as play poorly, to look forward to watching a pundit who once played for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Don't know about anyone else but given they only has 2 games to do today, I expected a bit more analysis for both sides, more so us given we won the game. There was a bit about Utd's press failing, and some great stuff about Youri, but nothing for Kelechi or Fofana/Soyuncu which they could have added :dunno:

2 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Great, the footballing world may at long last start to sit up and see just what is happening at Leicester City and finally give the Club, their manager and players the recognition they so fully deserve.

Looking at the comments in response I wouldn’t think so yet lol