Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Since 26th Feb 2019, when he officially joined, this is the table:

image.thumb.png.a14b739ca796fc26f36348a097022e6f.png

Incredible when you consider what other teams have spent, especially the top 2 who have been in imperious form for the best part of 3-4 years anyway.

Maybe it's Pearson and Ranieri who built the foundations, but Rodgers is establishing us as a top 4/6 side. Or in the process of. 

Not just what they spend on transfers but our wage bill is pretty modest compared to the bigger clubs. It tends to be playing staff gross salaries that has the biggest impact on the league table - as transfer expenditure is so high risk and the results are pretty volatile. Agains this metric Rodgers has taken a mid table budget and outperformed consistently - huge credit to him and his staff. I also think the way the club is run helps enormously.

A massive result for two reasons. There was, and still probably is, a perception that he's intimidated by Liverpool and Klopp so to beat them puts a temporary stop to that.

Secondly, winning in a poor performance which we've not tended to do.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AjcW said:

What a brilliant brilliant tactical switch from Brendan.

When Perez came on he told Barnes to go up top and run at the defence. **** me we haven’t half executed that to perfection! 

Worked even better when we equalised and their full-backs started to play as wide midfielders. 

• Like 1

I'm hoping this was a pivotal point in the evolution of Rodgers. He's got the Liverpool monkey off his back and will hopefully now accept that we're as good as them. 

Free your mind and the rest will follow... to quote En Vogue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Very interesting game. Despite the result I think Rodgers deep down won't be that happy with the game. I think tactically he might be happy, but not happy with the execution.

We started off in a 4231 with Riccy P at Left Back. Actually I think this was OK, Ricardo did well and was clearly selected to deal with Salah. No doubt the original plan was to have JJ and Riccy P deal with Mane and Salah, with Salah taking precedent. Salah's goal was down to bad play from Tielemans so I think tactically the setup worked well. Amartey was selected for his physicality to deal with Mane and though Mane had him on toast a few times, overall I'd give Amartey a 7/10 and was solid.

For the first 75 minutes our biggest issue was not being able to play out of the first press, losing the ball over and over again. Tactically we made chances against Liverpool and should have taken the lead with Vardy, so I feel Rodgers got the tactical gameplan right, but the team didn't execute. Perhaps Maddison was playing a bit too high up the pitch against a team as good as Liverpool.

Second half Rodgers deserves respect for going for it. It felt like Perez was brought on to work hard so Barnes could have his shackles removed, and boy did he get going!

So does that mean next time we play that we go to attack Liverpool? For me that's still a no because our pressing game is not as good as Man City's or Liverpool's. For me the best thing Rodgers has done this season is not try to match up with those teams but give them a different problem to solve, and that's why we have 6 points out of 9 against the too.

Not really. Any meaningful attempts that Mane did today, were made through the middle. In fact it was the other way around, Mane had trouble dealing with Amartey, and clearly needed the help of Robertson.

Edited by BlackFox
Grammar mistakes
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FoxTrott said:

If Spurs are to sack Mourinho, should we worry about them going after King Brendan?

Doesn’t he have a £20m release clause? + Spurs aren’t any better than us anyway & that’s with two world class footballers in Kane & Son who really should leave and join a big club if they want to win trophies.

Edited by OhYesNdidi

39 minutes ago, FoxTrott said:

If Spurs are to sack Mourinho, should we worry about them going after King Brendan?

Why on earth would he vaguely consider going there? We've far more potential with better owners. He knows which side his breads buttered. He'll only ever leave for a BIG club. 

4 hours ago, David Hankey said:

What a lengthy diatribe. Rodgers deserves all the respect, end of!! Remember, we've just beaten the current Chumpions.

What a load of tosh ! 

Do you know what diatribe means ? 

You’re going to google it now aren’t you :D

@StriderHiryuposts the best tactical analysis on this forum - end of ! 

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FoxTrott said:

He'll only go elsewhere if he feels he's taken us as far as he can take us. He's going to have a UCL season at least with us so no need to worry yet.

He's clearly the real deal to turn it around again after the end of last season.