Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Kasper Schmeichel

3 hours ago, moseeds said:

Schmeicel is a world class goalkeeper. The only reason he's not considered so is because he wasn't bought for £72 million like Kepa Arrizabalaga or Allison were. Would any team in the world take Kepa over Schmeicel?

No they wouldn't, you're quite right after his poor performances. However, how many of the supposed big teams like Barcelona, Madrid, Juventus, PSG, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, Manchester City or United and several others want to replace their current keepers with Schmeichel?

He has been and remains a great servant for us and is a very good club goalkeeper and perhaps a bit more. But world class is precisely that and he has too many flaws in his game to be considered in that rare bracket. That's no insult to him or in any way unappreciative and I'd be surprised if he even considered himself to be either.

2 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

No they wouldn't, you're quite right after his poor performances. However, how many of the supposed big teams like Barcelona, Madrid, Juventus, PSG, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, Manchester City or United and several others want to replace their current keepers with Schmeichel?

If you look at it in reverse, would we want to replace Kasper with the keepers of those sides you mention? Not all of them IMO and certainly not with the keepers of Chelsea, Arsenal or Tottenham.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

He has been and remains a great servant for us and is a very good club goalkeeper and perhaps a bit more. But world class is precisely that and he has too many flaws in his game to be considered in that rare bracket. That's no insult to him or in any way unappreciative and I'd be surprised if he even considered himself to be either.

Great shot stopper  but suspect with crosses / corners etc, I'm  old enough to have watched Gordan Banks now he was world class.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

If you look at it in reverse, would we want to replace Kasper with the keepers of those sides you mention? Not all of them IMO and certainly not with the keepers of Chelsea, Arsenal or Tottenham.

Notably I didn't mention those latter three clubs but I would quite a few of them. Sometimes there's a bigger picture for example Buffon at Juventus is on a 1yr contract and has been a world class goalkeeper for most of his career, Schmeichel wouldn't come close, however, at 42yrs of age you'd hardly swap. Likewise I would suppose quite a number of those clubs in fairness may be wary of Schmeichels age now.

8 minutes ago, jerry said:

Great shot stopper  but suspect with crosses / corners etc, I'm  old enough to have watched Gordan Banks now he was world class.

Yes and Shilton, both in a completely different class but that's no disrespect to Caspar. Caspar is close to everyone's hearts for a number of very good reasons and will never be forgotten because he's one of the immortals. However, sentiment can sometimes cloud true judgement. 

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

His distribution is above average at best but as a shot stopper I'd probably say he's in the top 10 keepers in the world so if you combine it all then we have a superb goalkeeper and a born winner. I think he will be a huge loss when he retires or leaves us in the next however many years.

Distribution is important as a keeper but shot stopping wins you more points and he's done that time and time again for us.

could see Kasper as a coach or a manager, he has the confidence and drive for it

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The man makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, absolutely love the bloke. A humongous legend, has got us over the line in so many games over the years and I dread the day we no longer have him. The best keeper of a generation for us and we've had some bloody good ones.

I honestly can't believe Leeds sold him so quickly and cheaply. You could tell within a few games we'd got a really good keeper.

He has his limitations and issues but you never tire of him pulling off blinding saves. As a shot stopper he's been unbelievable.

• Like 2

He will make his 400th appearance for us soon. Additionally in line to be our 7th highest appearance maker in the clubs history by end of the season. Every chance he could come 3rd highest by the time his career is done here 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

Lol you lot are mental, can’t believe anyone criticises KS at all

Absolute Leicester legend, achieved so much at club like Wes & Vardy should be immune from sort of nonsense of this thread. Put some respect of his name for Christ sake

World class keeper, fans are stupidly harsh on their own keepers cos you watch all their imperfections every week.

I have played in goal all my life; and was brought up idolising Banks, Shilton & Flowers cos the keepers we had were so poor (rab Douglas 😂) In same way I was brought up with the mythology of Shiltom; my kids will talk about Kasper Schmeichel

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

He will make his 400th appearance for us soon. Additionally in line to be our 7th highest appearance maker in the clubs history by end of the season. Every chance we could come 3rd highest by the time his career is done here 

On 389 now. Depending on European games and not having to self-isolate, he could reach 400 by the end of 2020 at Crystal Palace. We've got 8 league games and 3 Europa League.

• Like 1

Don't think he's got enough years to reach Graham or Adam Black, but I could easily see him being #3 on our all-time top appearance makers by the time he leaves.

He's currently #10 on our all-time top appearance makers and could easily still make 100-200 more appearances.

Edited by Sampson

That's a good point about him not being affected too much by mistakes, similar to how Vardy doesn't seem perturbed by missing chances. I can recall how Ian Walker who, for his first two years with us, even in a shocking team, barely put a foot wrong then had a nightmare month of costly errors (and idiots running on the pitch to confront him). You never feel Schmeichel will have a run of games where he's making consistent errors.

Was surprised to see kasper didnt feature much in the legends of the club thread, with a few people citing his distrubution and authority on set peices as why they dont see him as a legend. Imo he should be considered in the conversation for the club's greatest ever players, only him and vardy are still starters from the championship and 15/16, he was a very important part of winning the league and getting to the CL quarter finals, his list of achievements is as high as anyone else has gotten in a lei shirt.

• Like 3

Absolutely love Kasper; makes the odd mistake but who doesn’t? Keepers are the worst position in the pitch where mistakes are amplified

Not only did he help win us the title but in our champions league campaign Kasper almost single handedly dragged us over the line against Sevilla!! He’s been consistent for years

Then you have to factor in the off the pitch leadership and motivation, you can tell he leads and whenever he makes a mistake he comes out and takes full responsibility for it (eg. Bournemouth). Have no doubt his voice is one of the key reasons for our team culture and continual improvement

As far as I'm concerned Kasper is our greatest ever goalkeeper. We used to be known as club which had great goalies on the basis on Banks, Shilton and then Wallington who was also pretty good. After them we lost that reputation, mainly because the goalies weren't very good. Between Mark Wallington and Kasper, I would choose Kevin Poole as the best by far. He cost next to nothing and put in a really good shift for 5 or 6 seasons.

But what Kasper has done for us eclipses anything that his predecessors achieved. The save towards the end of the game today was astonishing. And he's still there along with Fuchs, Morgan, Albrighton, King and Vardy. All club legends who were signed for tuppence hapenny and they haven't finished yet.

i know fifa not great barometer but good for showing you who top keepers are in the world, of that list i have him 9th 

9th best player in their position in the world - does that class as world class not sure; but very rarely in leicester's history do we have top 10 players in the world in their position  

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/fifa/fifa-21/news/fifa-21-player-ratings-best-goalkeepers-gks

If you need elite level distribution to be considered a world class keeper, more so than shot stopping, agility and reflexes that prevent goals then does that mean you need to be able to hold the ball up and drop deep as a striker to be considered world class? No wonder Vardy is still disrespected by opposition fans and certain parts of the media. 

• Like 2

Kind of a classic Kasper moment - an absolutely incredible stop, then moments later a goal kick straight off the pitch.  Fortunately the first was a lot more important than the second, and maybe the save of the season.

But world class?  I guess it depends on how you define it.  He certainly wouldn't be first-choice keeper for any of the power clubs, and that's probably the most realistic definition.  His distribution is obviously comical but a bigger concern for me is how much extra work his defenders have to do because he doesn't control his area.  It's not coincidental we've given up the most from set pieces of any team in the PL this season.

Kasper is what he is, and you know what you're getting.  As a shot-stopper there's no question he's the nuts most of the time, but the rest of his game is average at best.

Edited by Deeg67

14 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Kind of a classic Kasper moment - an absolutely incredible stop, then moments later a goal kick straight off the pitch.  Fortunately the first was a lot more important than the second, and maybe the save of the season.

Bur world class?  I guess it depends on how you define it.  He certainly wouldn't be first-choice keeper for any of the power clubs, and that's probably the most realistic definition.  His distribution is obviously comical but a bigger concern for me is how much extra work his defenders have to do because he doesn't control his area.  It's not coincidental we've given up the most from set pieces of any team in the PL this season.

Kasper is what he is, and you know what you're getting.  As a shot-stopper there's no question he's the nuts most of the time, but the rest of his game is average at best.

is a better keeper than both juventus & psg's starting goalkeepers