Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Liverpool A Post Match Thread

Just didn't turn up last night. It was back to the passive, tame, sloppy performances of the second half of last season.

Incredible how Liverpool manage to tear us to pieces so effectively, especially when we are trying to park the bus. Rodgers just doesn't know how to deal with them.

Still, at least it'll put a stop to the ridiculous title challenge talk. I think the returns in the next three matches against Fulham, Sheff Utd and Brighton will be a truer test of where we are at than last night.

9 hours ago, Nod.E said:

At one point Under was in space on the overlap and Albrighton crossed it into an empty box. Under looked at him as if to say 'wtf'.

He's one of our league winners and always puts in such a shift. He's also a bit thick.

I think that him being a bit simple played a lot to our advantage in the past, he either lobs/passes it through to vardy or crosses it in the box which can be super effective compared to someone like demarai gray or barnes who try to overcomplicate things. Nowadays he's a bit hit and miss though.

What's really disheartening is that they so thoroughly outclassed us while missing their three best players.  Admittedly our best player (Ricardo) was out too, and one of our best (Praet) was inexplicably left off the team sheet.  Still, very impressive from them and very indifferent from us.

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

True, but nobody else to blame than ourselves. We need to wise up and do the same. Talent and skill is one thing but sometimes you need a nasty horrible older wind up bastard in midfield. One that is prepared to be vocal and nasty to his own team-mates also if they have to and fire them up. Whilst I would never have called Cambiasso a nasty individual he definitely had a presence about him and demanded certain standards of his fellow players and was extremely vocal. I think our younger players in particular need that. I don't think a forward or goalkeeper are necessarily best positioned for it and however experienced Evans is, he doesn't fit that bill. Cambiasso was a manager on the pitch, anyone know of such an individual currently? I felt a bit sorry for Mendy yesterday as he seemed on his own in midfield as Tielemans was wandering round like a limp dick. Possibly too much football, possibly poor tactics and team selection for the formation. It didn't take a lot for Klopp to out think Rodgers yesterday it has to be said and his lack of response in changing things yet again was woeful and there for all to see.

I'm in agreement. It was noticeable last season and again yesterday. Ultimately, when it came to the fight, we didn't compete.

Agree too with the substitutions, it was frustrating he left it so late to change tactics and players, when we clearly weren't at the races.

They were clearly the better side yesterday. It's just frustrating we don't do ourselves justice and really compete when we play them.

• Like 1

One of the most frustrating things I find about this team is the lack of nouse and intelligence at times. 

Liverpool all over us, overrunning us in midfield, getting in behind easily etc etc. 

What do we do? Help them do it. 

Kasper just kept kicking the ball out of play or trying quick goalkicks, both just ended up in losing the ball and them coming straight back at us. 

Our midfield couldnt keep hold of it y’day for some reason, maybe the Liverpool press I don’t know. Was screaming at Mendy Maddison and Tielemans just to drop in and get hold of it for 5 mins whilst we were under pressure. Never came. 

9 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

One of the most frustrating things I find about this team is the lack of nouse and intelligence at times. 

Liverpool all over us, overrunning us in midfield, getting in behind easily etc etc. 

Kasper just kept kicking the ball out of play or trying quick goalkicks, both just ended up in losing the ball and them coming straight back at us. 

Our midfield couldnt keep hold of it y’day for some reason, maybe the Liverpool press I don’t know. Was screaming at Mendy Maddison and Tielemans just to drop in and get hold of it for 5 mins whilst we were under pressure. Never came. 

The fact that they had 3 in CM against our 2 meant we simply got overwhelmed in there, especially given their intense running and pressing. We were boxed into our own half with limited passing options available. In fact, the main out balls were to our 2 wing backs on the day, Albrighton and Justin, who are probably amongst our least technical players. With Ric and Timmy playing we might still have done okay, despite the CM problem. Without them, the overload in CM was too much to overcome. To make it even worse they clearly targeted our 4th choice RWB with overloads and put Jota up against our slowest defender in Fuchs. It was a recipe for the total surrender that followed. 

• Like 2

A mirror image of the game on Boxing Day last season.

Liverpool hounded our midfield at every opportunity and we looked a bit punch drunk. Klopp got the message through to his players that we were a possible contender and needed to be cut down to size. Vardy was completely ineffective as a consequence.

Its frustrating given the manner of the Anfield defeat there last season that we haven't laid a glove on them since.

You'd hope that we take our frustrations out on the next few teams we face.

Overall though it's been a very decent start you'd have to say. Just hope we don't crumble like we did in the early part of 2020. If we can get past Thursday it would help enormously. The amount of injuries we have is unsustaniable to stay around the top 6.

• Like 1

I personally think that the international break has had a massive impact here. We had built momentum and playing very, very well. We seem to perform better playing 2 games a week. I'm very optimistic going into this "busier" period now. Games coming thick and fast again and hopefully we can build that momentum back.

47 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

It was definitely the Liverpool press that stopped the midfield keeping hold of the ball. You get around a second before a liverpool player is breathing down your neck. They are the best in the world at it. Tielemans etc couldn't get hold of the ball cos they werent allowed. Basically our one touch passing had to be bang on and it wasnt. I'm pretty sure kasper going long was a reaction to this and the home game last season where our attempts to play out from the back was castrated by Liverpool's press. Unfortunately Kaspers distribution is dodgy, the long balls were largely out wide meaning one of the players he was aiming for was Albrighton who is well out of his depth at this level and hoofing long is just a crap tactic anyway. I genuinely dont know how we could have done a great deal better given the players we had available. I dont think starting praet ahead of Maddison would have made much difference.

• Like 1

Frustrating! we are better than we showed yesterday.
The set up was wrong for yesterday’s game.
What I struggle to understand how we could possibly win the game from 2-0 down playing so deep. 

We lacked ambition and looked afraid to attack as a unit. 
Liverpool can make a lot of teams look average but they do give chances away. We offered very little. 

2 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

The fact that they had 3 in CM against our 2 meant we simply got overwhelmed in there, especially given their intense running and pressing. We were boxed into our own half with limited passing options available. In fact, the main out balls were to our 2 wing backs on the day, Albrighton and Justin, who are probably amongst our least technical players. With Ric and Timmy playing we might still have done okay, despite the CM problem. Without them, the overload in CM was too much to overcome. To make it even worse they clearly targeted our 4th choice RWB with overloads and put Jota up against our slowest defender in Fuchs. It was a recipe for the total surrender that followed. 

The game was won in the midfield

I say again, the middle of the park is usually where games are controlled.

Liverpool just shut us out last night and completely dominated the centre ground.

We had no reply. 
Tielemans was the usual Tielemans when playing against sides who do this. Give him time he’ll run the show. Stamp on him, he’ll wither like a 10 yr old.

Mendy had no answer either. Last night he was lost 

Klopp 3, Rodgers 0 last night I’m afraid. And it could easily have been 6 or 7. 
It was a right thrashing 

IMO Liverpool just did us a favor. They reminded us that we have a lot to work on, they exposed literally every weakness we had. There is a lot‪ to learn from this match and I'm sure Rodgers will do what is necessary to put us back on winning form. Despite how we looked last night, I trust Rodgers and the players and I believe we're going to have a great season. 

• Like 1

I can accept loosing to a top team. I can accept that some of our players had a mare. 

What i cant accept, is that our manager was saying we need 5 subs but only used 2, in a game we’re loosing 3-0 

WTH

Edited by Lambert09

16 hours ago, StanSP said:

I don't think today was anything about physical presence. Liverpool, off the ball, pressed centrally which is where Mendy & Tielemans & Maddison flourish. They won the ball back as a result. If teams want to capitalise against us then that is one efficient way of doing it. In some games this season we've played teams off the park because the midfield have succeeded in quick passing and quick 1-2s as we move up the pitch. Today that couldn't be done because you had a combination of Jones, Keita, Wijnaldum all pressing in the right areas, and at times one of their front 3 would help out too. 

What you say is correct but the fact we don't have either pace or a Physical presence in midfield is the very reason we got over run.None of ours 3 are particularly quick but all very good when the opposition gives them time on the Ball. That didn't happen last night because we had no one to compete in the middle especially with NDiddi out. That's our Achilles heel and it's been like that for a while which is why I thought we should have signed Dacoure in the Summer.  You stop teams as far away from your goal as possible. We let teams get to our Penalty area having retreated to the Box.

Maddison or Tielemans are never going to be the answer against strong physical players like Liverpool have especially when they get in front.

You also need everyone on their game and we didn't have that and had too many mistakes.

However it's just one game and hard to be too critical with all that's going on in the world. It a learning curve for many of our young players. It took Kloop 3-4 seasons to build his team. 

Our team is improving but still have a bit to go and we need a few more windows. We move on to the next game and hope for better.

17 hours ago, Lcfc-1992 said:

Liverpool weren’t to good? lol they could of easily had a few more. We played so poor because of the intensity they play at and we couldn’t handle it. Sometimes you just have to accept that we were beaten by the better team.

As for the second part of your reply, I’ll give that a miss :thumbup:

You really need to get your head out your arse Liverpool are not has good has last season and we're there for the taken   if we did anything like we did against man City had for my second point we bottled it and you could see that from kick they looked sluggish and not up for it. Know come back to me when you have watched had much football had I have. If you don't like this reply go to mark the administrator and put a complaint in goodbye

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, BlackFox said:

IMO Liverpool just did us a favor. They reminded us that we have a lot to work on, they exposed literally every weakness we had. There is a lot‪ to learn from this match and I'm sure Rodgers will do what is necessary to put us back on winning form. Despite how we looked last night, I trust Rodgers and the players and I believe we're going to have a great season. 

Exactly this. I can't believe so few of us are reading it this way. A thorough humbling is an occasional necessity to improve. Ask Southampton. 

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

3 hours ago, Gubbins said:

It was definitely the Liverpool press that stopped the midfield keeping hold of the ball. You get around a second before a liverpool player is breathing down your neck. They are the best in the world at it. Tielemans etc couldn't get hold of the ball cos they werent allowed. Basically our one touch passing had to be bang on and it wasnt. I'm pretty sure kasper going long was a reaction to this and the home game last season where our attempts to play out from the back was castrated by Liverpool's press. Unfortunately Kaspers distribution is dodgy, the long balls were largely out wide meaning one of the players he was aiming for was Albrighton who is well out of his depth at this level and hoofing long is just a crap tactic anyway. I genuinely dont know how we could have done a great deal better given the players we had available. I dont think starting praet ahead of Maddison would have made much difference.

When we didn’t have the ball it was 2 v 3 centrally yes but when we had the ball we matched them centrally 3 v 3 and occasionally 4 v 3 with Barnes coming inside so that isn’t a valid excuse. 541 off the ball 3421 (ish) on the ball. First half I agree we were boxed in, but that was always going to happen v a Klopp team. Needed to just hit channels and play % football first half then wait for the gaps to open second half so we could play our football. The gaps second half did appear but Tielemans and Mendy were just awful. Guess a game plan like that goes out the window when you come in 2 down at the break.

46 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I can accept loosing to a top team. I can accept that some of our players had a mare. 

What i cant accept, is that our manager was saying we need 5 subs but only used 2, in a game we’re loosing 3-0 

WTH

Maybe

• Its happening whatever Brendan or others think, may as well save a little bit of face
  • Top, need more quality off the bench, its 5 players we can use now

Edited by Dahnsouff

1 hour ago, lcfc cowboys said:

You really need to get your head out your arse Liverpool are not has good has last season and we're there for the taken   if we did anything like we did against man City had for my second point we bottled it and you could see that from kick they looked sluggish and not up for it. Know come back to me when you have watched had much football had I have. If you don't like this reply go to mark the administrator and put a complaint in goodbye

We were made to believe they were there for the taking with the injuries they had. They’ve got players capable of coming in and doing a job to cover.

If I was you I would go and watch some more football so you have a better idea of why we struggled yesterday. 

I might take your advice and put a complaint in because that was painful to read.