Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Liverpool A Post Match Thread

4 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

The problem is that, invariably, Rodgers outsmarts himself in an attempt to show he's smarter than everybody else.  That's always going to keep him from being what he desperately wants to be, a true elite manager.  He's too old a dog to learn a new trick that fundamental at this point - he is what he is.

That lineup today - my goodness.  What a classic BR moment.

Did you see the lineup we played against Man City, Arsenal and Leeds in three consecutive away victories? What were you expecting?

Edited by theessexfox
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

Did you see the lineup we played against Man City, Arsenal and Leeds in three consecutive away victories? What were you expecting?

Having Fuchs and Albrighton in the lineup against this opponent in this situation is inexcusable.

On the right, you could start Under - taking the approach that you'd try and victimize Liverpool's makeshift back four.  That would move Praet into the middle, at Maddison's expense.  Or you could start Praet as an inverted winger, which is where we've had most of our best results this season.  What he ended up running out there was a joke.

The larger question of his newfound stiffy for the back 5 is another matter, but that's a longer-term problem.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

The problem is that, invariably, Rodgers outsmarts himself in an attempt to show he's smarter than everybody else.  That's always going to keep him from being what he desperately wants to be, a true elite manager.  He's too old a dog to learn a new trick that fundamental at this point - he is what he is.

That lineup today - my goodness.  What a classic BR moment.

I'd say its just him actively trying to always show off how much of a genius he is. 

The Man City and Arsenal games were his wet dream. Both could quite easily have gone like today, but when they come off all the attention is on him. Just how he likes it.

I think he is a great manager, especially his man management but the ego and need for attention on himself has been such a hindrance to us at times. 

My thoughts:

1. Truly nauseated by the w@nkfest commentary for Liverpool on the channel I was watching (BeIN) - “oozing class”, “purring along”, mentioning their desparate injury situation every three minutes. OK, I get it - no VVD but slotting Milner and Fabinho in with Roberston and Matip is hardly a crisis. Imagine your defence included a 19yo new signing, another youngster who was playing at Luton a year ago, a 34yo left back playing in the middle and another 30+ winger playing right-back. 

2. We weren’t that bad in the early containment phase and even after the own goal there wasn’t an immediate collapse (although it looked rickety). Albrighton’s rush out for the second goal was schoolboy stuff - that would simply not have happened if Ricardo, Castagne or even Justin was there. That second then probably made it too difficult, we had to attack but we were very cautious about getting caught again. No real surprise they got another. 

3. It could have been worse, so keeping it to 3 against the Champions away on a bad night gets that over with. Europa League is proving a reset this season, hopefully it helps us find rhythm again and onto Sheff U, Brighton and Everton before a tough Christmas. 

4. We have done exceptionally well to this point with a makeshift team, we have four players to phase back in who will bring real quality and an upgrade on what we’ve been playing so far. We are top four on merit at the moment, I look down below us and I don’t see a single team that I think deserves (or threatens) to be above us based on what the season has shown so far. 

• Like 4

Upon seeing the team news, the inclusion of Barnes over Praet was the obvious stand out eye brow raiser. 

The recent system had become easier to understand, but with picking Barnes over Praet, this was the standout decision from Rodgers that looked out of sorts.

Including Barnes, was a positive choice, but in hindsight, having Praet in the front 3'ish, could have been a difference from the start.

In reality, Liverpool played an almighty game. If they can sustain that level of intensity for the rest of the season, then they deserve everything. 

My favourite part about the game was Fofana in the 12th minute finding himself in acres of space and tearing down on Liverpool's goal, he was unconventional last night, but still looks so promising. 

The "Liverpool Injury Crisis" narrative was the biggest bore

I don't even think it's a bias, It's just a story the pundits and reporters feel they need to continue recycling because they heard the last reporter talk about it.

It's a dull vicious circle and all the more boring once it's so obvious to see. 

We played poorly and they played well, no shame in losing to by far the best team in England.

With regards to the handball, seen a lot worse given (especially under current guidelines). If we were Utd it would have been given.

my only real gripe against BR is that Praet should have started for Barnes. Would have made us more solid and given us a chance to bring Barnes on against tired legs 

onwards and upwards. Despite the result we’ve had a fantastic start to the season both domestically and in Europe 👍

I really like the way Liverpool play football. They also have a lot of quality all over the park.

Our tactics were not right today, if you are going to cut out the midfield, then you need to adjust the players you are putting in there.

Still happy to be a City supporter, still believe we have a bright future with young players and a youngish manager who is still trying and learning.

Top 4 :)

7 hours ago, shen said:

Do we though? We seemed utterly unable to cope defensively. At one point second half, Robertson DRIBBLES past three players before getting fouled. We couldn't lay a hand on Jota or Mané- And Milner made pass after pass into the channels.

In my opinion it’s a mentality thing we can press, we can defend like our lives depend on it, we can create against the better sides - but just not against Liverpool since BR took over. Other teams manage to give Liverpool a game even if they still lose. It seems to me that we’re beaten before we put a foot on the pitch in this fixture recently 

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue

A bad day at the office, it happens to be 2 points of the top with the injuries we have is miraculous. I was more embarrassed reading the game thread than by our performance. We were beaten by the champions at their own ground , we simply didn't play well it happens, liverpool 7 at villa, man city 5 against us, man utd against spurs shit happens deal with it.

We can't handle anyone that is direct and pressure us into giving the ball away. 

With the success we've had recently the back 5 was always going to happen and it picked itself, I don't how anyone can question that. The only debate was was who played in the attacking roles and Rodgers obviously thought Barnes and Maddison would be a bigger threat on their "makeshift" back 4, and there was a couple of potential moments but we couldn't do it enough. 

They were all over us. Mane on Fofana, Firmino on Evans, Jota on Fuchs, Robertson on Albrighton, Keita/Wijnaldum/Jones were allover Tielemans and Mendy. Justin managed ok because he was up against a less attacking Milner.

Barnes and Maddison were key but we couldn't get through the press and get the ball to them, Kasper ends up launching it to them and Vardy. We're not good enough on the ball under pressure. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

We can't handle anyone that is direct and pressure us into giving the ball away. 

With the success we've had recently the back 5 was always going to happen and it picked itself, I don't how anyone can question that. The only debate was was who played in the attacking roles and Rodgers obviously thought Barnes and Maddison would be a bigger threat on their "makeshift" back 4, and there was a couple of potential moments but we couldn't do it enough. 

They were all over us. Mane on Fofana, Firmino on Evans, Jota on Fuchs, Robertson on Albrighton, Keita/Wijnaldum/Jones were allover Tielemans and Mendy. Justin managed ok because he was up against a less attacking Milner.

Barnes and Maddison were key but we couldn't get through the press and get the ball to them, Kasper ends up launching it to them and Vardy. We're not good enough on the ball under pressure. 

All of this, and it shows we were up a against a great team. And the reason they were champions. 

3 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

No more rep to give sorry. But this. Thinking back on the game now more, it was clear that the Liverpool midfield 3 simply pressed and harassed and cut off any real ball or time for Mendy and Tielemans knowing our play had to come through them. Then as you say, they focused too on being direct on Fuchs and Fofana which prevented any other forward ball distribution. We couldn't match that direct, urgent pressing and Klopp ensured his defence was protected and never really tested. We need to change our midfield and formation certainly after the second, but Rodgers was far too slow to react.

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd

35 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

All of this, and it shows we were up a against a great team. And the reason they were champions. 

No problem losing to them, they are top draw team. It's the fact we never even lay a glove on them or even seemingly make them work for it is what's frustrating. We all know we're better than what we show against them. 

7 hours ago, HitchinFox said:

I don't buy this losing to a "far superior" team. Liverpool weren't great tonight and this is the club that shipped 7 against Villa this season. They were there for the taking. I saw nothing from them that screamed "world beaters". 

We were poor and deserved nothing, however. Albrighton should not have started and Evans cost us two goals. Jonny was great last season, but I feel that he needs Cags beside him to warrant a place in the side now. 

As for Tielemans and Madders - that needs sorting. 

Really? They were better than us in every department. That villa game was clearly an anomaly and their standards can't be based just on one freak game when you consider their home record (64 games unbeaten!!) 

The overreaction to our midfield is silly too. Needs sorting? Nothing was being said when they were clicking together in other games where we've done well and bagged 3 points recently. 

We were beaten by a better team and I'm not sure Liverpool were there for the taking. There were a couple of opportunities and openings but I'm not sure they played bad so that we could have taken advantage of anything. 

They may not have played like world-beaters but they were still better than us, more composed than us and hungrier than us to win. They seemed sharper and quicker both on the ball and in the head. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

We handled Leeds and Man City pretty damn well when they tried to pressure us into giving the ball away. Liverpool are just far far better than both of them even when missing Salah and a few defensive players. In fact in world football theres probably only Bayern who youd be confident would be able to beat Liverpool right now. Luckily our realistic future prospects and goals are not dependent on being able to match up to perhaps the worlds best current side.

Not good enough on the night and although pre-match I backed City to win given our current form there is an underlying niggle that some of our players are overawed by the occasion and the Anfield Stadium. Fortunately no-one is running away with the league this season and it will be a very tight race.

9 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

We handled Leeds and Man City pretty damn well when they tried to pressure us into giving the ball away. Liverpool are just far far better than both of them even when missing Salah and a few defensive players. In fact in world football theres probably only Bayern who youd be confident would be able to beat Liverpool right now. Luckily our realistic future prospects and goals are not dependent on being able to match up to perhaps the worlds best current side.

True to an extent but as you say Liverpool are a different level and are relentless.