Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Liverpool A Post Match Thread

6 minutes ago, jaqo88 said:

One of those ones that would hate to see given really but considering the handball rules this season shouldn't this have been given? I thought any handballs were just given now?

Nope, never. Rules as bonkers as they are at times cannot allow for a penalty whereby both players are less than 2 feet apart and a pass has deflected at speed on to his hand that is trailing and not seeking to block. 

Plus this is a "still", doesnt justify the realtime motion. 

Edited by Blanchflower78

27 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Agreed. That said, I did think they had a tactic to foul Mendy as often as possible and they were allowed to get away with it. Don't get me wrong, they were miles better than us and it probably would have made little difference to the scoreline but Mendy has been great at controlling things from deep for us and they rough-housed him time and again and were allowed to do so.

You're right, they targeted him all game long, and it worked! Disrupted our play.

The Hide Mendy thread didn't work as well as was planned!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Anyone who thinks that's a legit pen has no right to ever use the phrase "games gone" - ever.....

It would have been very harsh to give it but you can bet that had it been down the other end they would have shown it over and over and then discussed it in depth at HT. 

Although we were poor today, there’s no shame loosing to Liverpool they are a fantastic team. We just have to dust ourselves down and go again. 

Liverpool are top of the league and got spanked 7-2 with their strongest team out. 

Quite a few players seemed to be way off  the pace today.  Maybe rest the international players midweek, and play some of the others into form.🤞

13 minutes ago, jaqo88 said:

One of those ones that would hate to see given really but considering the handball rules this season shouldn't this have been given? I thought any handballs were just given now?

People have opinions but nobody understands the rule anymore and VAR hasn't made it any clearer. 

Farcical. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

You're right, they targeted him all game long, and it worked! Disrupted our play.

The Hide Mendy thread didn't work as well as was planned!

Agree with you both, Mendy did get closed down quick, he managed a few little bits of nice play but they obviously had identified him as one of our cogs. Was won in the midfield in the first half imo

Was anyone else bemused why we were sitting so deep and just letting them have easy possession for the first 15 minutes of the second half when we were 2-0 down. Genuinely, could not see what we hoped to achieve. Playing that way when 2 down cannot ever make sense, can it? It was almost like the height of our ambition was to keep the score down. 

• Like 2

Miles off the pace tonight and thumped by the better side. We were slightly unfortunate with the own goal but equally had a few goal mouth scramble moments which could easily been a Liverpool goal. Bar a couple of half chances our attacking players offered next to nothing - when none of Tielemans, Maddison or Barnes turn it on, we will struggle to beat anybody, never mind a team of Liverpool's quality.

It's not the defeat that's disappointing - I am okay with the fact we've been beaten at Anfield - it's the manner of it. The same as Boxing Day 2019. Touted up, fresh off the back of a good run of results and we get taken to pieces again. It shouldn't detract from what we've achieved this season though - a bump in the road hopefully - and we move onto a winnable game next week versus Fulham. Wrapping up qualification in Europe on Thursday, and 3 points next weekend and we'll be on our way again. We need to be miles better than that and I'm sure we'll see a response over the coming games.

I tell you what, if any of you saw Klopps pre-match interview you would have seen this coming. He actually clearly knew exactly how we would approach this game and explained how they were going to stop us. I was quite impressed as usually I think teams just brush us off, he’s clearly been working with his team to set up to stop us releasing Vardy and they were very successful at it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dandy king said:

To some extent I agree, but you are talking about a team that beat man city 5-2 recently, as well as other good teams. Last season I would say this was the case, but expected a little more tonight. Thought praet should have started but we otherwise thought the starting line up was ok, but was painfully obvious something needed changing at half time. One way traffic. We got spanked tonight but I still think we have players that can compete against anyone. 

Just not with Liverpool 

...we can compete with Liverpool, other teams have and they have time and time again scraped a penalty to win the game!!!

Rodgers got it wrong, the formation might have been right but the attitude was all wrong as if we had no idea what to do when turning over the ball. Slow in every department and should have started with Praet instead of Maddison, if we had committed to a counter attacking game.

Once again he has made this team look like young pretenders giving the impression of a massive gulf between the two teams and irrespective of our injury list we should have shown more against a Liverpool team not at full strength.

1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

It’s as if we have a massive inferiority complex against Liverpool atm and think we are just there to make up the numbers

We have the ability but not the mentality to give them a decent game 

Do we though? We seemed utterly unable to cope defensively. At one point second half, Robertson DRIBBLES past three players before getting fouled. We couldn't lay a hand on Jota or Mané- And Milner made pass after pass into the channels.

1 hour ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Well we have had penalties against us for a lot less...

1 hour ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Well we have had penalties against us for a lot less...

Wes Morgan's face being given as a hand ball in the same fixture a couple of years back springs to mind!

14 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Youri really disappointed me, considering how well he'd played for Belgium the last few weeks. Never got going. 

Hardly surprising I'd say. He's played a stupid amount of football recently. If Brendan knew we weren't really coming to play he should've rested him

• Like 1

I don't buy this losing to a "far superior" team. Liverpool weren't great tonight and this is the club that shipped 7 against Villa this season. They were there for the taking. I saw nothing from them that screamed "world beaters". 

We were poor and deserved nothing, however. Albrighton should not have started and Evans cost us two goals. Jonny was great last season, but I feel that he needs Cags beside him to warrant a place in the side now. 

As for Tielemans and Madders - that needs sorting. 

2 hours ago, Mawuli said:

I never actually want to see albrighton in another premier league game ever again ,I swear crosses with absolutely nobody in the box

At one point Under was in space on the overlap and Albrighton crossed it into an empty box. Under looked at him as if to say 'wtf'.

He's one of our league winners and always puts in such a shift. He's also a bit thick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem is that, invariably, Rodgers outsmarts himself in an attempt to show he's smarter than everybody else.  That's always going to keep him from being what he desperately wants to be, a true elite manager.  He's too old a dog to learn a new trick that fundamental at this point - he is what he is.

That lineup today - my goodness.  What a classic BR moment.