Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Liverpool A Post Match Thread

9 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Agreed. That said, I did think they had a tactic to foul Mendy as often as possible and they were allowed to get away with it. Don't get me wrong, they were miles better than us and it probably would have made little difference to the scoreline but Mendy has been great at controlling things from deep for us and they rough-housed him time and again and were allowed to do so.

They did it to our midfield, and we let them. Yes, they pressed and suffocated us, but those little fouls, contact from behind, just enough to stop our quick passing and counter. Not the first time either is it? And not just by Liverpool.

We should either be stronger and compete better, or be in the ref's ear until they are penalised or carded. The foul count was something like 15-6? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

We handled Leeds and Man City pretty damn well when they tried to pressure us into giving the ball away. Liverpool are just far far better than both of them even when missing Salah and a few defensive players. In fact in world football theres probably only Bayern who youd be confident would be able to beat Liverpool right now. Luckily our realistic future prospects and goals are not dependent on being able to match up to perhaps the worlds best current side.

In fairness you have to have the ball to give it away we didnt, and Villa did pretty well against Liverpool, any team can be beaten with the right attitude and belief, the team has that, just didn't display it. 

4 minutes ago, Vazman said:

In fairness you have to have the ball to give it away we didnt, and Villa did pretty well against Liverpool, any team can be beaten with the right attitude and belief, the team has that, just didn't display it. 

Any team can be beaten with the right attitude and belief but that's rarely happened to Liverpool over the past 2 and a bit seasons has it. They made us look as bad as we did and the return fixture is the only time we will face anyone as good again this season. And although people keep bringing it up the Villa game really was a freak event. I've never seen a team concede 4 goals due to absolutely huge deflections in one game before.

2 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

In my opinion it’s a mentality thing we can press, we can defend like our lives depend on it, we can create against the better sides - but just not against Liverpool since BR took over. Other teams manage to give Liverpool a game even if they still lose. It seems to me that we’re beaten before we put a foot on the pitch in this fixture recently 

It's really just been this game and the last one where we've been comprehensively beaten. The one before that was when we lost to that ultra dodgy penalty in added time. The game before that we drew. So I don't think there's much of a trend here.

15 minutes ago, Plastik Man said:

They did it to our midfield, and we let them. Yes, they pressed and suffocated us, but those little fouls, contact from behind, just enough to stop our quick passing and counter. Not the first time either is it? And not just by Liverpool.

We should either be stronger and compete better, or be in the ref's ear until they are penalised or carded. The foul count was something like 15-6? 

True, but nobody else to blame than ourselves. We need to wise up and do the same. Talent and skill is one thing but sometimes you need a nasty horrible older wind up bastard in midfield. One that is prepared to be vocal and nasty to his own team-mates also if they have to and fire them up. Whilst I would never have called Cambiasso a nasty individual he definitely had a presence about him and demanded certain standards of his fellow players and was extremely vocal. I think our younger players in particular need that. I don't think a forward or goalkeeper are necessarily best positioned for it and however experienced Evans is, he doesn't fit that bill. Cambiasso was a manager on the pitch, anyone know of such an individual currently? I felt a bit sorry for Mendy yesterday as he seemed on his own in midfield as Tielemans was wandering round like a limp dick. Possibly too much football, possibly poor tactics and team selection for the formation. It didn't take a lot for Klopp to out think Rodgers yesterday it has to be said and his lack of response in changing things yet again was woeful and there for all to see.

56 minutes ago, Babylon said:

No problem losing to them, they are top draw team. It's the fact we never even lay a glove on them or even seemingly make them work for it is what's frustrating. We all know we're better than what we show against them. 

I do agree with you Babs, it is infuriating that we turn up like a wet flannel and roll over, particularly against a side as unbearable as that bunch of hyperactive bellends... But having said that they completely stifled us at source, so we were unable to really get into our stride, lets be fair Kevin is alright against Real Leeds Madrid, but against Liverpool he really shouldn't be playing that position. They suffocated us, and slapped us about for a bit and we seemed to suddenly lose all faith in ourselves. It is as if they go onto the pitch thinking "yea we've got these today" and then realise that actually they are no push overs, and then before you know it you're two nil down and don't even know your own name anymore. It was majorly disappointing, and after thinking we had cracked that soft underbelly of ours we go and prove me haven't. The worse thing to happen this season was them losing like they did to Villa, because it installs false confidence in some teams going to play them, a but like us yesterday. 

We are a quality side, but sometimes we can be a bit too easy to play against when we are not at it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

Any team can be beaten with the right attitude and belief but that's rarely happened to Liverpool over the past 2 and a bit seasons has it. They made us look as bad as we did and the return fixture is the only time we will face anyone as good again this season. And although people keep bringing it up the Villa game really was a freak event. I've never seen a team concede 4 goals due to absolutely huge deflections in one game before.

I'm not disputing your point, liverpool are a good side, but that, they can be beaten, we have the ability to do so, just didn't have the belief last night. 7 Goals is not a freak game imo, and neither was Leicester beating Man City, Arsenal or Leeds! 

2 minutes ago, shen said:

It's really just been this game and the last one where we've been comprehensively beaten. The one before that was when we lost to that ultra dodgy penalty in added time. The game before that we drew. So I don't think there's much of a trend here.

We got battered when Mane fell over though 

Can’t remember the exact shot stats but it was something like 19-1

More of a general point then just about last night but we don't create enough chances. Even if we win comfortably it's usually because we've been ruthless or had a couple of pens. We found last season we can't keep going like that, need to be more creative.

Barnes gets criticised for his finishing, and rightly so at times, but look at Salah, Mane and Firmino and how many chances they miss. They just get loads more so eventually they will score one.

1 minute ago, Mike Oxlong said:

We got battered when Mane fell over though 

Can’t remember the exact shot stats but it was something like 19-1

We did, but this was also their best moment during this team's arguably best season - and we put up a decent fight.

29 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

This Liverpool side aren't 'just another top 6 side' - Klopp has turned them into a world class juggernaut and they've been up there with Bayern Munich as the best side in world football, for the last 2 years at least. No shame in losing to them or them brushing us aside with ease. 

64 league games unbeaten at home for a reason, I reckon you'll struggle to name teams who've troubled them on one hand in those games. Man City, Wolves and weirdly Palace spring to mind. Struggling after that. 

2 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

More of a general point then just about last night but we don't create enough chances. Even if we win comfortably it's usually because we've been ruthless or had a couple of pens. We found last season we can't keep going like that, need to be more creative.

Barnes gets criticised for his finishing, and rightly so at times, but look at Salah, Mane and Firmino and how many chances they miss. They just get loads more so eventually they will score one.

I said it before Barnes is both good and  frustrating, it's not the quantity of misses he makes, it's the easy chances at this level, he keeps consistently missing game after game, how many more chances does he need or get. I keep hoping he will turn it round.

As Rodgers has got it spot on against Man City and for 30 mins against Arsenal I think he's forgiven for not quite getting this one right, but there's a number of glaringly obvious things wrong with the team from last night's performance, starting with the line up.

I'm not saying these things are necessarily 'his fault' given the injuries and lack of squad depth, but we're lining up at Anfield with a 32 year old Jonny Evans who's just come back from international duty, a 34 year old left back who is now comfortably past his best (Although has had a good start to the season, and a 19 year old who has unhelpfully been heralded as the next Maldini after 4 games. To add to this, we've got a right back playing left wing back, and a left winger playing right wing back. 

You'd think, in light of the above, that we'd take a slightly cautious approach to the game. We did this, but we didn't have the players on the pitch to do so. You can't pin the whole game on not picking Praet but it certianly seems a really strange decision when it worked so well against Man City. Maddison and Tielemans were never going to have enough of the ball to make an impact in the game because Liverpool press so relentlessly. It of course doesn't help when every time either player gets the ball they make the wrong decision. 

It's another learning for Rodgers but as someone pointed out on Twitter, hopefully it means people stop talking about us as title contenders. I genuinely believe if we had our first team completely fit & gelled, and Liverpool's squad remains in pieces that we could compete over a season, but that won't happen! 

If we can stay as close to the top 6 as possible while we give Ricardo 20 mins here and there and get Ndidi, Soyuncu & Castagne back, we've definitely got a chance of a really strong 2021. 

All well and good signing young players on an upward trajectory to sell them for massive profits but it's getting tiresome seeing them look like rabbits in headlights.

I don't understand why we thought it was a good idea to go to Liverpool and just sit in a 5-4-1 shape for 90 minutes with zero pressure on the ball. Not one player looked to get on the ball and make things happen. Too many players marked themselves behind Liverpool shirts.

Compare to Liverpool and everyone wanted the ball and everyone put a shift in in terms of pressing the ball carrier.

Look at the difference to when we had the ball in Liverpool's half to when Liverpool had the ball in our half. They regularly walked into our third of the pitch with no pressure whatsoever. I cannot fathom why we thought playing so passively against the best side in England would be a good idea.

Now we've got to deal with sides that sit in for 90 minutes for the next 3 games with **** all confidence.

We are desperate for the likes of Ricardo and Castagne to come back. Two players that actually want the ball and have the confidence to drive forward with it.

• Like 1

We lost to the best side in Europe, on the back of a 6 game winning run and after an international break when it's notoriously difficult to prepare (I realise both sides have that disadvantage but it's going to affect the away side more than the home side who are champions!)

We're not going to beat Liverpool without our strongest side. We're not going to compete for the title without our strongest side.

Provided we follow this up with wins against Fulham and Sheffield United this has been an incredible start to the season with what has in the most part been half a second string!

Settle down and stop acting like spoilt kids, we're 3rd in the League... again!

• Like 1

In truth we made them look world class by our negative tatics from the off.  We gave them far too much space and time on the ball and we didnt press them once.

Liverpool were allowed to pick up the  ball in their final 3rd and then to literally stroll up the pitch with it.  They targetted Albrightons position as the weak link and never once did we try to cut out the crossfield ball to the overlapping Robertson.

Rogers has to take the blame mentally and tatically he got it completely wrong.

We are better than we showed last night why we always seem to roll over for Liverpool I dont really know.

Lastly, Evans was he ill?  He looked at times totally lost and just wasnt on it all night.

When you go to Liverpool and only 3 of the starting 11 could be scored realistically 6/10 on player ratings (Schmeichel, Justin, Mendy) then tbh whatever formation, you are going to get turned over. Our defence ,despite putting in a lot of effort, were shocking, our midfield was anonymous (and shoddy on the ball), our front line were static. We were woeful tbh. 

49 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

True, but nobody else to blame than ourselves. We need to wise up and do the same. Talent and skill is one thing but sometimes you need a nasty horrible older wind up bastard in midfield. One that is prepared to be vocal and nasty to his own team-mates also if they have to and fire them up. Whilst I would never have called Cambiasso a nasty individual he definitely had a presence about him and demanded certain standards of his fellow players and was extremely vocal. I think our younger players in particular need that. I don't think a forward or goalkeeper are necessarily best positioned for it and however experienced Evans is, he doesn't fit that bill. Cambiasso was a manager on the pitch, anyone know of such an individual currently? I felt a bit sorry for Mendy yesterday as he seemed on his own in midfield as Tielemans was wandering round like a limp dick. Possibly too much football, possibly poor tactics and team selection for the formation. It didn't take a lot for Klopp to out think Rodgers yesterday it has to be said and his lack of response in changing things yet again was woeful and there for all to see.

Definitely agree here, I said this last season - we lack a bit of game knowledge in the middle that an experienced pro can provide. I thought Carvalho could have been that. Cambiasso certainly was and Pearson talked about this in his recruitment - that you need an okd head at times. We’ve had the likes of Cambiasso, Wasilewski and Huth come into good young teams to good effect. If we hang on until the transfer window and get someone of that nature in, I think we could really go places in the second half of the season. 

• Like 1