Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Fulham (H) - Match Thread - 30/11/2020

One more game of playing it safe before we have Ricardo and Castagne back in the squad make sense to me! 

Like a few have said, see if this works for 60 mins then react accordingly with a strong bench.

I'll happily turn round and say 'wtf' if this is our system when we have our full strength squad, but for now it's fine by me!

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

And we're currently about 3 hours away from potentially being top of the league having qualified from our Europe group. All without 4/5 of our best players.

Perspective required I reckon.

I understand we are in a great position all things considered and I have absolutely no complaints on our start, RESULTS wise.

However, I just can’t comprehend what he’s playing at here. Vs Wolves, it played how we expected, boring but making it a scrap/level playing field wasn’t necessarily a bad thing for us vs Wolves. However tonight?

I find it absolutely ridiculous. I really really hope we win tonight because if not I’m going to be really angry because whether we win or lose, he has got this wrong.

We are playing a poor Fulham team, with an awful defence. Wide consensus from most people as a team who leak for fun, yet we keep that handbrake on!? In Claudio Ranieris words ‘come on man!!’.

Remember when Nige went flat back five at home to Stoke?...or was it Hull? or both?

I sense the frustration, but it's not as though Thomas and JJ will be similarly sat back. The options off the bench are at least encouraging. 

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

He's gone through his whole career being a fan of possession based attacking football, he gets one whiff of success parking the bus at the Etihad and now he's ****ing Tony Pulis. 

This did me. 

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The two aren't mutually exclusive with this team selection tonight. This is even more negative than vs Man City and Liverpool away. We are at HOME. If you can't see the potential concern then fair play to you but I suggest a panic button on a necklace as you might be in for a spot of bother.

I bow down to your ability to sense how we're going to play based solely on the line up. Impressive.

If you think we're going to sit in and try and counter Fulham then fair play to you. I'll wait and see.

Personally I trust Brendan Rodgers to get it right being as it's Premier League football and he's pretty good at getting results in it.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The two aren't mutually exclusive with this team selection tonight. This is even more negative than vs Man City and Liverpool away. We are at HOME. If you can't see the potential concern then fair play to you but I suggest a panic button on a necklace as you might be in for a spot of bother.

Theres more to attacking than slinging umpteen forwards on the pitch. 

I'm going on the basis the management team have a plan for the game and Onnthe balance  of probabilities, the plan is more likely to work than not.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I genuinely don't know what's gone wrong with him.

He's gone through his whole career being a fan of possession based attacking football, he gets one whiff of success parking the bus at the Etihad and now he's ****ing Tony Pulis. 

The man is a smart coach, he understands the game, he's got to know that you break teams down by stretching play, getting round and behind teams, playing at pace, with width. 

It's a complete and total myth that more passing midfielders = more creativity. That's the sort of nonsense that twelve year olds on here believe. 

You need a balanced team to be successful, five defenders and four centre midfielders isn't balance its abhorrent. 

These are so shit that we'll probably win anyway and everyone will be tripping over themselves to pretend it's tactical genius but it isn't, it's utterly abject. 

lollollol 

2 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I understand we are in a great position all things considered and I have absolutely no complaints on our start, RESULTS wise.

However, I just can’t comprehend what he’s playing at here. Vs Wolves, it played how we expected, boring but making it a scrap/level playing field wasn’t necessarily a bad thing for us vs Wolves. However tonight?

I find it absolutely ridiculous. I really really hope we win tonight because if not I’m going to be really angry because whether we win or lose, he has got this wrong.

We are playing a poor Fulham team, with an awful defence. Wide consensus from most people as a team who leak for fun, yet we keep that handbrake on!? In Claudio Ranieris words ‘come on man!!’.

Oh noes! Deano's going to be angry.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, jayfox26 said:

Wouldnt actually mind this formation if we have Ricardo and Castagne rampaging down the wings. 

But that's the point - we don't. 

This isn't the preferred formation. We'll see that as soon as they are both fit. Trust me. 

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

Theres more to attacking than slinging umpteen forwards on the pitch. 

I'm going on the basis the management team have a plan for the game and Onnthe balance  of probabilities, the plan is more likely to work than not.

There's a reason 95% of football teams play with more than just a solitary attack minded player. 

Put it this way, in set ups like this if they struggle, what would be the obvious reason for the lack of goals? A lack of attacking ability?

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Not sure why there's such a meltdown, we've been playing this way for most of our games this season and are near the top of the table and qualified for the next round in Europe. 

We are expecting a deep block where you need to play between the lines rather than go wide, hence using all of our technician players in Praet, Tielemans and Maddison. We still have plenty of options on the bench to change it up if we need to.

We now have 9 games in 29 days (!), and will often have to come up with creative solutions to the games ahead and rotate the team a lot. I personally prefer 4141 at home too, but look how well we've doing with the system to date? No need to fix something that isn't broken. 

COYB :scarf:

Totally agree with what you're saying but on the face of it 5 defenders and 4 centre mids at home to Fulham just looks dire. I'm sure Rodgers has a plan and we wont be playing 11 men behind the ball but it doesnt look an overly attacking lineup 

5 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

And we're currently about 3 hours away from potentially being top of the league having qualified from our Europe group. All without 4/5 of our best players.

Perspective required I reckon.

But here's some perspective, too:

We've won three home games this season, in two of those we played four at back and our usual front three even though we had to force Ndidi at CB. We scored seven goals across those two games. 

In the one game we played five at the back with Vards on his own up top we were lucky to scrape a win because we won a penalty, otherwise we'd barely have had a shot on target because we created absolutely nothing. 

I think only the most obviously negative trolls on here begrudge us having played three at the back against Man City, Arsenal and Leeds away and taking three very good points in each of those matches. 

I don't have a problem at all with us using more conservative systems when it makes sense to do so. It absolutely doesn't make sense to do so now. But even if we HAVE to play with the extra defender, why aren't we at least playing with a fast front two or three like Wolves do? 

This is literally the most defensive lineup we could reasonably play (obviously you could name every single defender at the club and drop Vardy but you know what I mean) and it's at home vs one of the worst teams to ever play in this league. 

It's senseless. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

There's a reason 95% of football teams play with more than just a solitary attack minded player. 

Put it this way, in set ups like this if they struggle, what would be the obvious reason for the lack of goals? A lack of attacking ability?

I do understand your frustration, but it's not as though both Praet and Madders don't have an eye for goal. 

Just now, jayfox26 said:

Totally agree with what you're saying but on the face of it 5 defenders and 4 centre mids at home to Fulham just looks dire. I'm sure Rodgers has a plan and we wont be playing 11 men behind the ball but it doesnt look an overly attacking lineup 

It's the distinct lack of pace that is the biggest concern. Vardy often gets isolated in games for us but he has almost no options with a lack of pace around him as well. If Puel picked this team there would be actual violence.

• Like 1