Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Fulham (H) - Match Thread - 30/11/2020

Just now, Ric Flair said:

There's a reason 95% of football teams play with more than just a solitary attack minded player. 

Put it this way, in set ups like this if they struggle, what would be the obvious reason for the lack of goals? A lack of attacking ability?

Well we were totally ineffective with Barnes and Under on the pitch in Portugal (apart from two appalling bhowlers from their defence)

Maddison freewheeling high up the pitch is an option 17 of 20 teams in this division  would die for 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Not sure why there's such a meltdown, we've been playing this way for most of our games this season and are near the top of the table and qualified for the next round in Europe. 

We are expecting a deep block where you need to play between the lines rather than go wide, hence using all of our technician players in Praet, Tielemans and Maddison. We still have plenty of options on the bench to change it up if we need to.

We now have 9 games in 29 days (!), and will often have to come up with creative solutions to the games ahead and rotate the team a lot. I personally prefer 4141 at home too, but look how well we've doing with the system to date! No need to fix something that isn't broken. 

COYB :scarf:

Excellent post, excellent post.

I'm slightly worried the match thread arguments will be more entertaining than the match, but bring it on!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Totally agree with what you're saying but on the face of it 5 defenders and 4 centre mids at home to Fulham just looks dire. I'm sure Rodgers has a plan and we wont be playing 11 men behind the ball but it doesnt look an overly attacking lineup 

Like I say I prefer the 4141, but when we play this system we use one of the spare CBs to support the attack. That player usually gets a lot of free room and isn't picked up and can cause a lot of havoc. Fuchs had that role against Leeds, and it didn't turn out too badly then. JJ has been doing it recently. 

Admittedly that game we deliberately counter attacked rather than proactively attacked the game, but still we scored 4 goals.

By the way there was a fairly successful counter attacking team in the East Midlands in 15/16. Won the title against great odds I'm told. Beat Swansea City 4-0 at home without their star attacker during the run-in with 30% possession at home. Wonder what ever happened to them...

Edited by StriderHiryu

They will want a lot of the ball. Quick turnover and vards behind Anderson seems to be the early plan. Not sure about 5atb but still think we will win this. Not bad options on the bench if it is 0-0 after 60 odd minutes. There must also be a tiredness factor for the reason BR is going with this formation as much as he has, we have a shed load of games in the next month. Madders is key 

To the people who come out with the "but they're going to park the bus so we need more players who can pick a pass" rubbish:

When have you ever seen Man City line up with Aguero on his own in front of De Bruyne, Gundogan, Fernandinho and Rodri? 

When did David Villa ever start alone up top with Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets and Keita? 

It's not just about the midfielders you have pulling the strings it's about the forwards providing passing options ahead of them. 

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

But here's some perspective, too:

We've won three home games this season, in two of those we played four at back and our usual front three even though we had to force Ndidi at CB. We scored seven goals across those two games. 

In the one game we played five at the back with Vards on his own up top we were lucky to scrape a win because we won a penalty, otherwise we'd barely have had a shot on target because we created absolutely nothing. 

I think only the most obviously negative trolls on here begrudge us having played three at the back against Man City, Arsenal and Leeds away and taking three very good points in each of those matches. 

I don't have a problem at all with us using more conservative systems when it makes sense to do so. It absolutely doesn't make sense to do so now. But even if we HAVE to play with the extra defender, why aren't we at least playing with a fast front two or three like Wolves do? 

This is literally the most defensive lineup we could reasonably play (obviously you could name every single defender at the club and drop Vardy but you know what I mean) and it's at home vs one of the worst teams to ever play in this league. 

It's senseless. 

So that's your sole reasoning? Those three games? What about the Braga game where we played virtually the same team as tonight and won at a canter? What about the Villa game where we were utterly abject playing 4-3-3?

I don't even see how it's conservative. You watch tonight. Barring anything like early red cards or something that would greatly affect the game. I bet all of our players barring probably Evans and Fuchs spends more time in the Fulham half. I would much sooner have players with end product and ability than those that are essentially only quick.

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

To the people who come out with the "but they're going to park the bus so we need more players who can pick a pass" rubbish:

When have you ever seen Man City line up with Aguero on his own in front of De Bruyne, Gundogan, Fernandinho and Rodri? 

When did David Villa ever start alone up top with Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets and Keita? 

It's not just about the midfielders you have pulling the strings it's about the forwards providing passing options ahead of them. 

Those teams regularly played with multiple midfielders. Have you completely lost your head? Spain even won the Euros with about 6 midfielders.

10 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Not sure why there's such a meltdown, we've been playing this way for most of our games this season and are near the top of the table and qualified for the next round in Europe. 

We are expecting a deep block where you need to play between the lines rather than go wide, hence using all of our technician players in Praet, Tielemans and Maddison. We still have plenty of options on the bench to change it up if we need to.

We now have 9 games in 29 days (!), and will often have to come up with creative solutions to the games ahead and rotate the team a lot. I personally prefer 4141 at home too, but look how well we've doing with the system to date? No need to fix something that isn't broken. 

COYB :scarf:

We are doing well as a whole but are we doing well at home vs poorer teams?

1 goal from a penalty and one of the worst XGs in the league in our last 3 home games vs non big teams. Smashing 4 past the other time we were at home in a 4141.

Weaker team or not, It’s a poor selection and makes the game unnecessarily harder now. I’m hoping Fulham are just so poor we win regardless but even that won’t justify his decision.

6 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Oh noes! Deano's going to be angry.

Yeah course because if we lose this game it’s all down to us not wanting to win it and BR will be hugely to blame.

Exactly this. Too many people just think BR is always right and it’s not allowed to criticise an obvious error. We can not afford to drop points vs these teams as no one is dropping points to the few cannon fodder and if we fail to win today then the blame is at his door.

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's the distinct lack of pace that is the biggest concern. Vardy often gets isolated in games for us but he has almost no options with a lack of pace around him as well. If Puel picked this team there would be actual violence.

5 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

It's getting to the point on here where you can't discuss anything without being labelled a moaner or Brendan out. It's a pre match thread where we've just been given the lineups, what else do you want us to talk about? 

It's the sheer predictability of the reactions, fella. And, of course, the shameless sandbagging of the 'even if we win it's shit' line of argument.

• Like 1

Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

We should play 2 at the back, 1 in midfield and the rest in attacking positions against PL strugglers like Fulham.

Brenda is clueless and has gorra gooo.

WE ARE LEICESTER, WE ARE BIGGER THAN FIVE AT THE BACK

Please Dont be obstroculous, this is a serious topic....its Not Good seeing our media interfaces being sarcastic....

Some Dozos, might take you serious...:whistle:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

It's the sheer predictability of the reactions, fella. And, of course, the shameless sandbagging of the 'even if we win it's shit' line of argument.

The dismissive responses to anybody questioning anything Brendan does is equally predictable 

• Like 1

This meltdown is hilarious. Hardly like Brendan’s picked 8-1-1 or something unexpected. It’s the formation that has served us pretty well this season, what did people expect? 

Don't see it as a 5 at the back either. It’s 3 centre halves with two wing backs who you’d expect to be high and wide. 

Just now, foxfanazer said:

The dismissive responses to anybody questioning anything Brendan does is equally predictable 

I'm not sure it's that, though. It's that people are so ready to get riled up over the slightest thing. I'm sure most would agree that BR gets things wrong, but our league position suggests less so than most.

• Like 1