Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Terrible TV Coverage

I never bother with the pundits whatever the channel. Rather listen to LCFC radio or Radio Leicester in the build up and after. Just mute them at HT. Not interested in the oppositions slant on the games. 

The commentary is of course painful at times but thought Dempsey offered us plenty of praise and said we deserved our equaliser. Martyn Tyler was quite the opposite against Chelsea to the point where it felt like he had the nation on edge waiting for the VAR outcome of their disallowed goal to be overturned. 

Tyler of course is a Chelsea fan in real life. Seen him on soccer am with Chelsea stuff on. But maybe if impossible to be neutral leave them off the games. Same Carragher and Neville. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

I never bother with the pundits whatever the channel. Rather listen to LCFC radio or Radio Leicester in the build up and after. Just mute them at HT. Not interested in the oppositions slant on the games. 

The commentary is of course painful at times but thought Dempsey offered us plenty of praise and said we deserved our equaliser. Martyn Tyler was quite the opposite against Chelsea to the point where it felt like he had the nation on edge waiting for the VAR outcome of their disallowed goal to be overturned. 

Tyler of course is a Chelsea fan in real life. Seen him on soccer am with Chelsea stuff on. But maybe if impossible to be neutral leave them off the games. Same Carragher and Neville. 

I just thought Tyler was Bias for any team  from London..

9 hours ago, Corky said:

Wilfred Ndidi's debut came in a match at Everton we lost comfortably (actually won 2-1).

Tiellermonz, Castagg, Gomesh.

Sounded like a fan talking to the bloke next to him.

Terrible.

Why was he pronouncing the names like that anyway? Had he been told to?

:dunno:

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

See, I had a quip about this in the match thread and to be honest I think it says more about the viewers than about Dempsey that they have such a strong reaction to this. It's so typically British to refuse to actually try and pronounce someone's name properly. 

Now fair play to @shen for pointing out Dempsey got a couple of them wrong but it's probably better to try and fail than to just use a blanket approach of pronouncing everyone's names like they're English. 

I mean, it's not Paris, it's actually someone's name. It's ****ing rude to not bother to learn how to say it. 

I know every year we have a laugh in the Six Nations thread about Eddie Butler and the hilarious flair he puts on French and Italian names but for me the joke there isn't that he's pronouncing them correctly (Butler's a fluent French speaker iirc) the joke is the exaggerated, bounding flourish he does it with. 

As for his accuracy, I dunno, maybe he got a coupe of things wrong but the people that were complaining in the match thread that he was bias must be some of the most sensitive and easily triggered snowflakes on here, who can't tolerate anyone daring to praise our opposition. Because he clearly wasn't shy in praising us. Absolutely heaped it on thickly and that's with Savage alongside him who's climbed firmly up Rodgers arse this year and decided he's an LCFC super fan again this season to try and stay relevant. 

Honestly, no commentary is ever perfect but anyone who found last night worse than having to listen to Fletch and Macca, or Tyler and Carragher needs their head checking. 

Thanks and well put, Finnegan. 

It's just commentary. The clue is in the word. 

I don't need Tyler or Darke or Fletcher to tell me what I can see in front of my own eyes. But instead they all add a bit of colour to the match and make it a bit more of a social experience for the viewer. 

20 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

I speak foreign languages, but I try not to ram it down people's throats while I'm doing my job.

I also had foreigners mispronounce my name constantly when I lived abroad and never once did I think people who pronounced it as I do were somehow paying me more "respect". 

I just think there's levels to it. 

I mean, if you're using some ingredient in the kitchen or a borrowed turn of phrase from another language and you're deliberately going out of your way to pronounce it with some foreign flourish to be pretentious? Yeah I'm with you. That's "ramming it down someone's throat."

But getting someone's name right is just manners. 

And yeah, the average Joe in the street I can understand. My name is Rich, it absolutely killed my mates when we went to Japan and my name became Lick. I mean, hilarity ensued on a hysterical scale. I was not offended in the slightest. 

But its a commentators job to say people's names. Literally their job. I just don't understand why like 50% of everyone in the match thread was getting unbelievably triggered by this. 

• Like 1

It almost makes me nostalgic for the halcyon days of Big Ron Atkinson and the like. Working on live tv must be like treading on eggshells nowadays, always one comment away from the sack, so they stick to mundane trite, out of fear of upsetting a hundred and one focus groups,which leads to appalling tv coverage. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

I speak foreign languages, but I try not to ram it down people's throats while I'm doing my job.

I also had foreigners mispronounce my name constantly when I lived abroad and never once did I think people who pronounced it as I do were somehow paying me more "respect". 

So I disagree with you on that front.

All of which distracts from the platitudes, the misreading of the game, the incorrect "facts" and whatever the hell that "down the flanks" nonsense was, during the pre-match chat.

...unlike a certain mr fuchsntf on here, who never misses an opportunity to tell us  how he speaks fluent Japanese whilst breakfasting on Machu Picchu before herding wildebeest in tribal tongue on the namibian plains each afternoon. 

59 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I just think there's levels to it. 

I mean, if you're using some ingredient in the kitchen or a borrowed turn of phrase from another language and you're deliberately going out of your way to pronounce it with some foreign flourish to be pretentious? Yeah I'm with you. That's "ramming it down someone's throat."

But getting someone's name right is just manners. 

And yeah, the average Joe in the street I can understand. My name is Rich, it absolutely killed my mates when we went to Japan and my name became Lick. I mean, hilarity ensued on a hysterical scale. I was not offended in the slightest. 

But its a commentators job to say people's names. Literally their job. I just don't understand why like 50% of everyone in the match thread was getting unbelievably triggered by this. 

I totally get that Brits generally don't make an effort with foreign languages or pronounce things as they might be said in other languages, but I wouldn't say I was getting unbelievably triggered, it was just quite noticeable and a tad overdone, hence my references in the match thread to Eddie B.

I was laughing at it, not annoyed by it.

I think it was telling that he spent so much mental effort saying "Shengheees" or whatever, that he didn't realise it was actually Soyuncu on the ball, not Under.  lol

Edited by Vacamion
  • Like 1

It's the laziness the annoys me. These ex-pros are getting paid to spout the same shite that can you hear in a pub. 

Got no problem with female pundits, but the one from last night was crap and couldn't offer anything, other than telling us that Vardy is injured. 

Somehow, Robbie "Is he a number 8, 9 or 10" Savage came out of this looking the best by just ignoring the garbage that Dempsey came out with.

7 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

Am i the only one who doesn't have a clue what anyone is going on about in these 3 pages? 

I'm usually the first to pick up on this kind of thing but didn't notice anything out the ordinary? I did however notice he told everyone what area Robbie Savage lived in at one point, to which it fell silent for 30 seconds lol

Same. A couple of sloppy accuracy errors aside, I just felt sorry for the guy. Must have made five or six blatant invitations for Savage to comment only to be greeted with complete silence.

As well as we played, I personally thought they slightly flattered us with their praise throughout the game.

It is a separate point, but BT seem to persistently attach Robbie Savage to commentary on our games.

Presumably because of his past connection to our club.

I hate it when BT and Sky put MacMannaman or Carragher on Liverpool and Everton games, or Neville on Man United games.

I don't want the "connection" I would rather see knowledgeable comments and insight.

And it really winds opposition fans up (Remember Carragher shouting for a penalty against us).

It's why I admired Ally McCoist's input as a Co-Commentator on the Amazon games, but I don't really want to hear him on a Glasgow Rangers game.

• Like 2

I have found a leak of the team sheet given to BT

Lester Citeh

Peter Schmeichel's son. 

Timothy Castan

Wesley Foffofofofofana

Jimmy Evarns

James Jurstyn

Winifrid N'didly

Youri Teddymans

Barvey Harnes

James Middleson

Kevin Albrighton 

Ajoyzee Pereshh. 

Edited by Pliskin

5 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

It is a separate point, but BT seem to persistently attach Robbie Savage to commentary on our games.

Presumably because of his past connection to our club.

I hate it when BT and Sky put MacMannaman or Carragher on Liverpool and Everton games, or Neville on Man United games.

I don't want the "connection" I would rather see knowledgeable comments and insight.

And it really winds opposition fans up (Remember Carragher shouting for a penalty against us).

It's why I admired Ally McCoist's input as a Co-Commentator on the Amazon games, but I don't really want to hear him on a Glasgow Rangers game.

I'd much rather have a neutral co-comm adding general thought through comments on style etc, than a bias one chirping away all game. Fine to have 2 ex players from either side on HT analysis, but comms should be bias free. 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Now fair play to @shen for pointing out Dempsey got a couple of them wrong but it's probably better to try and fail than to just use a blanket approach of pronouncing everyone's names like they're English. 

Is trying and failing really an acceptable excuse though, when knowing the players names is probably the most important part of his job?! 

It became embarrassing - he was trying so hard he started using an accent for English players ffs. 

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Completely disagree

He sounded like an utter berk imo

Absolutely agree with this. 

First time in a long time that the awful punditry stood out as garbage for me. Mistakes absolutely everywhere. 

Think we're all used to the standard shit from Darke Fletcher etc but this commentry was on the next level of trash.