Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Terrible TV Coverage

4 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Maybe it's pronounced Gomesh in another language but it's an English TV channel and it's not pronounced like that. 

It is pronounced like that, end of. He's not English. How do you say Castagne? Ask yourself. I take it you say cas-tag - nee according to your false logic

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

It is pronounced like that, end of. 

It's not end of, if you go down the pub pronouncing it like Steve McLaren after a few jars you're going to sound like a ****

So when I type "how to pronounce Gomes" into Google, the first website and 2 YouTube videos below all pronounce it Go-mes. 

• Like 1

Just now, Collymore said:

It's not end of, if you go down the pub pronouncing it like Steve McLaren after a few jars you're going to sound like a ****

So when I type "how to pronounce Gomes" into Google, the first website and 2 YouTube videos below all pronounce it Go-mes. 

Is it Portuguese? My friend's Portuguese wife from Estoril says it as Gomes. With a sh sound. I'll go with her not a Google. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd

8 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Probably the worst coverage of a match I have seen... couldn’t even bare to watch the half time or post match analysis 

I ended up switching the TV off at half time, and listened to the talk sport commentary...which, whilst annoying cause they don't describe much of whats going on, were super complimentary to Leicester and far more enjoyable then the BT sport drivel. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, King of Gipsy Lane said:

What a thread this has become on pronunciation 🤣🤣🤣 and that discussion is in a country where 

1. Woolfardisworthy is  "Woolzery"
  2. Beaulieu - "Bew-lee"
  3. Bicester - "Bister"
  4. Belvoir - “beaver
  5. Rampisham - "Ran-som"

You can’t make this stuff up 🤣🤣🤣

Belvoir Drive !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

I thought this. 

They didn’t even tell us who Under had replaced for a good 5 minutes.

Also, not that it’s BTs fault but the camera angle from Goodison is absolutely sh!te.  

Yes but all the sight lines at Goodison are poor TBH . 

8 hours ago, Daz93 said:

There's been some shocking commentating this season which I can only put down to the fact that every game is televised so you can't always have the best. Particularly awful insight tonight and zero chemistry with Robbie. Sounded like he was trying to flirt with him half the time and Savage just blanked him. 

Yeah, during the first half, paul asked Robbie a rather long question about leicester, I cant remember what now but I do remember wanting to know Robbie's thoughts on it, and Robbie just flat out ignored him...didn't speak at all!  😅

5 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

Am i the only one who doesn't have a clue what anyone is going on about in these 3 pages? 

I'm usually the first to pick up on this kind of thing but didn't notice anything out the ordinary? I did however notice he told everyone what area Robbie Savage lived in at one point, to which it fell silent for 30 seconds lol

Ah yes that was it!! (See my previous comment) He asked what it was about leicester that makes fuchs, Morgan and Albrighton continue to play well after all these years (im paraphrasing)..

Savage didn't speak for ages 😅

27 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Maybe it's pronounced Gomesh in another language but it's an English TV channel and it's not pronounced like that. 

This is it - no one else goes to that extreme when they say Gomes so why did Drury? It was the same when he said Tielemans and somehow turned into a french native for a split second

This is the danger of one broadcaster that's not Amazon getting to show all the games over three days. Pundits, presenters etc become stretched over so many games, it's pot luck the quality you get.

Paul Dempsey was atrocious. I like him normally, as a presenter he's good and he is also good when doing BT's Bundesliga etc, but this isn't suited to him at all. Time and again it felt like the ramblings of an older gentleman. Savage continually ignoring his inane questions, the basic facts about Ndidi's debut were infuriating.

It really was a downer on the game, tbh. The rest of the world gets such a high calibre of commentator and we got stuck with him. Such a shame.

26 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

And then Matt Smith who is always Matt smith was referred to as Matt Schmidt........ they must have been taking the piss.

I can’t believe I forgot about this one. That absolutely confirmed he was taking the absolute piss. 

Wait 'til this weekend when they'll be basically wanting Leeds to beat us again.

Never heard so much disappointment in Tyler's voice as we scored the 3rd at Elland Road earlier in the season.

Edited by Fox92

If you're an average British person in Britain, I don't think anyone is going to bat an eyelid if you pronounce 'Gomes' as any British person would when reading it phonetically. And it would be pronounced quite differently from Newcastle to Surrey.

But if a commentator or any football pundit wants to pronounce the name according to how the player pronounces it, then fair play to them, and it gives us a bit of an education on that player and language, which is quite interesting in my view.

Incidentally, the correct Portuguese pronunciation of Ruben Neves' last name is 'Nevsh'.

39 minutes ago, Collymore said:

To be fair, that is Brazilian Portuguese which can have different pronunciations to Portuguese Portuguese (whether that's one of them, I don't know, but it seems that way). Also, Brazil's massive so there could be many pronunciation differences within Brazil. The video itself also includes a disclaimer saying it could be wrong.

• Like 2