Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Terrible TV Coverage

2 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Going off on a bit of a tangent ...

Why do we anglicise some place names, but not others?

We stick with the native spelling for nearly all the big cities in France, Spain and the Netherlands ... although obviously with a very different pronunciation eg "Paris" vs "Paree".  The only big city I can think of changed is the Spanish "A Coruna" which for some reason we call "La Coruna".

Most of the German ones are the native ones, except for Koln (Cologne) and Munchen (Munich).  God knows why we changed those, as the originals are just as easy to pronounce!

We seems to have changed the biggest two in Portugal: Lisboa (Lisbon) and Opporto (Porto).

Belgium's a bit more complicated, as their country is split between Flemish ("Dutch") and Walloon ("French") ... but we've changed quite a few eg Bruxelles (Brussels), Antwerpen (Antwerp), Brugge (Bruges), Gent (Ghent).   And for some reason we've gone with the French version of Ypres, even though the town is in the Flemish bit and is called Ieper.  And for good measure, with a good old WW1 pronunciation of "why-pers".

And in Italy, we seemed to have changed them all: Roma (Rome), Milano (Milan), Torino (Turin), Napoli (Naples), Firenze (Florence), Venezia (Venice), Genova (Genoa).

Not much logic in any of the above eh?

München is actually pretty hard to pronounce! 

Bring back Motty. At least when he told you stats you knew he had it right, a walking encyclopaedia of footy facts and trivia. As for the two females “analysing” the Everton game it was obvious they didn’t have a clue. Alex Scott is good, you can tell that she puts in the research and has a genuine understanding of tactics etc. She may be a Gooner but still calls them out when necessary. If the tv companies feel the need to tick the boxes in the name of equality, at least try and find people with some knowledge and screen presence. Do they not do screen tests or do they simply take anyone who has an agent putting them forward? I have nothing against pundits shouting out for their own teams, we do it all the time, but surely it’s not that hard to keep a balance. Amazon are far better and seem to try to get someone with connections to both sides (such as Heskey for our games, who I think is decent).

• Like 3

My opinion is quite undecided towards Micah Richards.

Makes some good points, but it seems like he's about to burst out laughing at any point whilst interacting.

Alan Shearer and Dion Dublin are amongst the best, personally.

On 27/01/2021 at 18:07, Ian Nacho said:

I actually laughed out loud when one of the female pundits said we were good at set pieces. 

I have actually noticed pundits starting to w*nk themselves off over our short corner routines. That is, of course, based on it working a grand total of once all season with Wilf's goal against Chelsea (in a game where people were actually paying attention due to the pressure on the opposite dugout). Maybe that has something to do with it.

On 27/01/2021 at 23:54, Ashley said:

They were gagging for Everton to nick the win. 

Yea and at the same time I could sense the commentator becoming annoyed at Everton’s tactics, but would blurt shit about how they can play football many ways. I’ve seen them in full games twice this year and they played almost identical.

8 hours ago, urban fox said:

Bring back Motty. At least when he told you stats you knew he had it right, a walking encyclopaedia of footy facts and trivia. 

Motty lost it toward the end of his time at the BBC. He would just shout "Oh" a lot and his "facts" were often wrong, like the time he said Danny Ings had a loan spell at Leicester.

Rio Ferdinand has been a bit of a twat lately. I usually find him inoffensive, if bland, but there's worse pundits out there. But when Man Utd went top, he just kept bringing it up, even during games they weren't involved in. It'd be a relegation battle and he bring it up. Hilariously though it culminated the other night when Humphries said he'd see him in the studio the following night for Man Utd v Sheff Utd and Rio replied "When Man utd will go back to the top of the league". Worked out well didn't it Rio, you ****. 

7 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I work with plenty of pundits and most do put the work in, especially the ones who are not such high profile names. 

I think Alex Scott is great.

The female pundits in general are held to a different standard simply because they're not men.

A lot of blokes hate the fact that women can actually know a lot more about the game than them - old fashioned sexism basically and a threat to their masculinity. Sad but true.

And there are some who find skin colour an issue too, which is even more sad.

I too find Alex Scott very good to listen to, very relevant and certainly knows her stuff. I just personally take a different view re female football knowledge, for me it would be brilliant to have a wife, partner or girlfriend that is as knowledgeable (not in an expert sense, I know I'm not) and keen on football, it would save a lot of arguments and be something to be jointly interested in. The issue of skin colour is particularly hard to understand though when so many of our footballing heroes just happen to be black, it absolutely makes no sense whatsoever. I'm sure most of us when commenting say about Ndidi or Fofana recently, have done so on the lines of one going to be such a loss if he misses a match or, how brilliant the other one is for such a young lad, the issue of skin colour wouldn't even enter the thought process,  they're just our players and we're proud of them. So why would anyone could find skin colour an issue for pundits baffles me.

With punditry, it's like any other jobs, regardless of gender or ethnicity, I just think it has to be the best person for the job in the particular set of circumstances prevailing at the time and certainly no quotas. For example not everyone's cup of tea I know, but I often like to hear Simon Jordan's opinion on Talksport because being an ex club owner he brings an alternative opinion and insight on things uncluttered by sentiment or loyalty to other footballers. I  do like to hear the opinions of a professional footballer but, rather like managers, just because some have or had a big name as a player, doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to be the best person for the job. It takes all sorts and a variety and honesty of personal opinions has to be good, not merely a repeat of middle of the road safe options gleaned from the media beforehand. It's the quality of insight and opinions that count, not the gender or ethnicity of deliverer.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I work with plenty of pundits and most do put the work in, especially the ones who are not such high profile names. 

I think Alex Scott is great.

The female pundits in general are held to a different standard simply because they're not men.

A lot of blokes hate the fact that women can actually know a lot more about the game than them - old fashioned sexism basically and a threat to their masculinity. Sad but true.

And there are some who find skin colour an issue too, which is even more sad.

So racism is worse than sexism?

You ismist! :angry:

13 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Thanks to Keown on the Everton game today, I've been able to know whether a corner has been an in-swinger or an out-swinger. Without him we'd have been lost! 

I swear he never knew the difference when he was playing for us!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

I don't understand why bt and five live keep on hiring jenas... he is awful and offers no insight

Absolutely agree, he seems to be a pundit who merely wants to tow an imaginary party line and not upset anyone. He never appears to have an original thought in history head. He just seems to be a bit of a pundit poster boy at the moment. 

• Like 3

Shearer, Wright and Dublin are 3 of my personal favourites to listen to. Steve Sidwell is another underrated one, he's been really insiteful with some of the comments he comes out with. 

Another honorable mention for Alex Scott, brilliant analysis at times and really worth the listen to. 

Shame we see more of the likes of Redknapp, Scholes and Mcmanaman. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Absolutely agree, he seems to be a pundit who merely wants to tow an imaginary party line and not upset anyone. He never appears to have an original thought in history head. He just seems to be a bit of a pundit poster boy at the moment. 

Agree with this massively. It seems he is on everything to do with the bbc and not just football. He offers nothing just seems very bland and cures my insomnia most saturday nights. I think bbc are shoehorning him to replace Lineker on MOTD when he calls it a day.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Judging by BBC coverage today I think Gareth Barry is going to be a great addition to BBC punditry team. Very fair and very knowledgeable. 

But he delivers his points like an accountant from Penge.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Keeps saying trent

• Haha 1