Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Claridge

Most improved player you have seen?

Just now, Fox42 said:

I’m not saying he’s the most improved but Wes Morgan deserves a mention.

Wes was pretty good at forest, they just don’t know how to run a football club so he always carried a bit of extra timber... once he came here he became a machine...

Conrad Logan.

Took him while to perfect his technique in carrying the water bottles and all the other bits left behind by Ian Walker/Rab Douglas/Paul Henderson/Marton Fulop/David Martin/Chris Weale/Ricardo and then Kasper after the pre-match warm-ups. But he adapted to the quirks of each and became the best at what he did. 

• Haha 1

Pretty sure I remember this right: one of Vardy's early appearances. Think we were at home to Middlesbrough, 0-0 and Vardy came on and conceded a penalty right at the end. I remember saying:

"We're trying to get promoted and we bring on a million pound non-league player and all he does is concede a penalty with virtually his first touch"

That didn't age well...

Vardy easily.

I always backed him, even on here my posts were always supportive of him compared to the rest, but even with that I didn't think he'd turn into a player that would score us 15+ goals consistently in the top flight.

Edited by Fox92

Kevin McDonald. He even used to run in a strange way...like one of those speed walkers/racewalkers with his arse sticking out. Think Raheem Sterling only minus the pace. Often responsible for some glaring errors in our MF and frequently caught in possession. By the time I'd noticed that he was actually becoming rather good, we'd sold him to Liverpool. Fast forward a decade and he's rematerialised again, subsequently managing the ****ing club by accident. Had the pleasure of sharing a few pints with him a couple of years later in the New Inn, Oadby through a mutual friend. Very sound bloke and very switched on. 

• Like 1

James Justin hands down.

I was very unsure of him when he first came into the team and I have to hold my hands up you forget what a jump it was for him to play for us in this league but he’s one of our players of the season. 

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

Shout out to Jimmy Willis but obviously Vardy’s rise to world class has been unbelievable.

He was outstanding at Wembley in the play off final against Derby.

I always recall that Nev Foulger used to regularly despair at our performances by saying - usually on the back end of a rout, "well you have to say....City -etc etc" On one particular occasion we were being schooled away to Oldham and he did it, but was so exasperated, he couldn't finish the sentence. "Well you have to say, City..       (groan)" -  It just tailed off in utter deflation. I'm sure it was during the same game, he did the same thing with Willis. The poor man was utterly lost for words. The other JW - Julian Watts, was definitely an upgrade. 

Bizarrely, I'm sure that Willis for a brief time held the record of having been the only player to have scored in all tiers of the football league.  

Without question Vardy and Lineker are the answers here.

Justin has improved a lot, but there's no comparing him to 2 strikers who initially looked out of their depth in the 2nd tier going on to be amongst the best strikers in Europe and both winning the Golden Boot for us.

I'd go with Justin. Vardy has been phenomenal but let's not underestimate Justin stepping in originally to replace one of the two best right backs in the league, one of our massive players, when he hadn't played above League One. To replace Ricardo, play in a variety of different positions and look assured in pretty much all of them and it looks like we haven't missed Ricardo anywhere near as much as we anticipated which is remarkable.

Vardy obviously is God but he's never had to fill in for a top class player whilst Justin has and managed it superbly.

2 hours ago, ceebeefox said:

There’s been so many as we haven’t bought the finished article in the past. But for me it’s Gary Lineker, he came into the side as a skinny winger with a bit of pace but no trick, then after a summer of training and eating I don’t know what came back a lightning quick frontman with strength and hold up play at times too, and goals galore. Our hero at the time Jim Melrose became a forgotten man sadly.

If not Lineker, then Alan Smith.

But if we are only talking about current players then JJ nabs it. 

Weirdly Kisnorbo first came to my mind. It's like the last decade has been some weird dream. Obviously the answer is Vardy, at least in my 25 years of support.

Justin is class but he's not a record breaking England International who looked lost in the Championship is he?! 

Easily Vardy.

When he gave a last minute penalty away against Middlesbrough in the Championship, I actually thought he was done after that, during that period he looked way out of his depth.

But Pearson stuck by him and the rest is history :D 

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

He was outstanding at Wembley in the play off final against Derby.

I always recall that Nev Foulger used to regularly despair at our performances by saying - usually on the back end of a rout, "well you have to say....City -etc etc" On one particular occasion we were being schooled away to Oldham and he did it, but was so exasperated, he couldn't finish the sentence. "Well you have to say, City..       (groan)" -  It just tailed off in utter deflation. I'm sure it was during the same game, he did the same thing with Willis. The poor man was utterly lost for words. The other JW - Julian Watts, was definitely an upgrade. 

Bizarrely, I'm sure that Willis for a brief time held the record of having been the only player to have scored in all tiers of the football league.  

He had some great games in our debut season in the premier too, notably against Chelsea at home.

He was abysmal in his first season and his debut against Watford I think was horrible.

The groan around the ground if he was even on the bench was loud.

• Like 1

Simon Grayson was bobbins for ages and then became a brilliant RB for us.

Obviously Vardy, though. Considering a lot of fans would have been happy to see him go and then he turned in to probably the greatest player in the clubs history.

Quite an improvement!