Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 3-1 Liverpool - Post Match Thread

It can’t be understated how much credit Rodgers and the players deserve for picking themselves up after the collapse last season. To be in this position again when they must have felt like idiots last season is an incredible achievement. I hope we press on now. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, adam95581 said:

Agree to disagree I’m afraid. Amartey did well enough given his time out, but it doesn’t detract from him giving the ball away cheaply. Also not denying that Youri had a hand in the second goal but it wasn’t his best performance. 

If you watch it back you’ll see what I mean I think. Some of that has to be credit to Liverpool’s pressing but a lot of the times we were playing ourselves into trouble 

But your original point was that they were "particularly bad" - I don't think that they were. Playing ourselves into trouble? - agree, didn't we just. Gave the ball away cheaply too often. But "sloppiest we've been all season"? Really? 

2 minutes ago, Hammo said:

We’ve beaten Man City, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea and now Liverpool this season.

Just Man United to complete the set.

if it doesn’t happen in the league, then I’m sure we’d happily settle for knocking them out of the FA Cup. And, who knows, maybe the Europa League too.

Bring it on.

Have we ever beaten all of them at least once in a PL season before? 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

30 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

It was piss poor considering one of those teams had just gone 2nd in the Premier League.

yeah but vardy smashed it when he should have placed it innit

not a natural striker

lots of goaaaaaaals

owen-960x549.jpg

Michael Owen memes aside, I was surprised at the very least to see Ian Wright joining in the attempt to ignore us and credit Liverpool at every opportunity. He's normally very complimentary of us, but all he could muster was to side with Owen's character assassination of Vards at half time in this one. And we even had the commentator throwing in a snide dig about him not smashing it when he walked it home for 2-1. Collectively, everybody except Manish seemed p*ssed off that Vardy had scored, and of course that we'd ridden out their Gegenpress and absolutely schooled a tired team in the last 15 minutes. It wasn't in the script, so they didn't want to credit it.

Whatever, let the media at large obsess over the Scousers. We're the ones still in the race and potentially finished their defence once and for all today. Feels good. 

How much has Barnes improved since he came in? 25 games ago he misses that chance at the end, a massive moment in the game, huge pressure, score we win miss it keeps Liverpool in the game, he calmly slots into the corner rather than lashing it well wide. He is fast becoming the complete player. To take it on knowing Vardy was to his right for a tap in shows the confidence he has in himself. 

Cracking result. Vardy scoring again should give the rest of the team a massive boost too. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Manini said:

It can’t be understated how much credit Rodgers and the players deserve for picking themselves up after the collapse last season. To be in this position again when they must have felt like idiots last season is an incredible achievement. I hope we press on now. 

Not only that but doing it with FA cup and Europa is outstanding. It really is. This is Leicester City for ****s sake. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, browniefox said:

How much has Barnes improved since he came in? 25 games ago he misses that chance at the end, a massive moment in the game, huge pressure, score we win miss it keeps Liverpool in the game, he calmly slots into the corner rather than lashing it well wide. He is fast becoming the complete player. To take it on knowing Vardy was to his right for a tap in shows the confidence he has in himself. 

Cracking result. Vardy scoring again should give the rest of the team a massive boost too. 

Would be shocking if Barnes isn’t considered for england... he has come on leaps and bounds, very positive player, always looking to make things happen. Now he has the finishing touch, scoring 

• Like 3

Just now, Line-X said:

But your original point was that they were "particularly bad" - I don't think that they were. Playing ourselves into trouble? - agree, didn't we just. Gave the ball away cheaply too often. But "sloppiest we've been all season"? Really? 

Yeah, IMO Amartey, Albrighton and Youri were the worst offenders for giving the ball away.

As for ‘sloppiest all season’, I can’t think of a game where we struggled more to get out of our defensive third from giving the ball away. Can you name one? 

2 minutes ago, adam95581 said:

Yeah, IMO Amartey, Albrighton and Youri were the worst offenders for giving the ball away.

As for ‘sloppiest all season’, I can’t think of a game where we struggled more to get out of our defensive third from giving the ball away. Can you name one? 

Thankfully we were sharp at the back and while Liverpool had a lot of the ball... you could argue we actually had the better chances first half. Once we realised they are turd at the back though we were far more positive and torn them a new one 

24 minutes ago, adam95581 said:

Agree to disagree I’m afraid. Amartey did well enough given his time out, but it doesn’t detract from him giving the ball away cheaply. Also not denying that Youri had a hand in the second goal but it wasn’t his best performance. 

If you watch it back you’ll see what I mean I think. Some of that has to be credit to Liverpool’s pressing but a lot of the times we were playing ourselves into trouble 

@Raw Dykes, an example of what we discussed. Sorry to adam for quoting you over a linguistic curio.

• Like 1

Ricky Tomlinson, Mel C, John Bishop, Craig Charles, Dr Dre, Daniel Craig, Le Bron James, Elvis Costello, Brad Pitt can you hear me, can you hear me ? the team of Roy Cropper, Riusty Lee and Sam Bailey gave your boys one hell of a beating :chant:

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

every time we play Liverpool, their pressing game against us is INSANE. Against other teams it sometimes has bad days but against us for whatever reason, their pressing game is always first class. The first half we could not get out, and though by the end of the half we appeared to stabilise, in the second half they picked up right from where they left up and squeezed us even tighter.

Their press was so effective because so much of our possession was on the touchlines.  We were defending deep and wide to stifle Mane and Salah, instead of pressing high.  So over and over, we regained possession in our own half near the touchlines -- the ideal place to apply a counterpress, no?  It seemed we simply didn’t contest central midfield until they tired.

• Like 3

The excuses and victim mentality coming out of Liverpool right now is Glorius. 

Salah should of had a 'stonewall' penalty first half. The ref cheated giving Barnes the foul. VAR cheated for giving the goal. There is a global conspiracy by fifa and the referees to rob Liverpool of glory. 

• Like 1

Just now, KingsX said:

Their press was so effective because so much of our possession was on the touchlines.  We were defending deep and wide to stifle Mane and Salah, instead of pressing high.  So over and over, we regained possession in our own half near the touchlines -- the ideal place to apply a counterpress, no?  It seemed we simply didn’t contest central midfield until they tired.

Good analysis! That was one of the biggest differences between Man City and Liverpool. Liverpool are a wide team, whereas Man City are a central team. Or at least Man City were until they changed their system, now they are a bit different.

But the thing is that with Liverpool you HAVE to watch the touchlines. In previous matches against them, both Fullbacks and Wide Forwards have decimated us. Salah might have scored, but overall we contained Mane, Salah, TAA and Robertson, which is some going.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Thankfully we were sharp at the back and while Liverpool had a lot of the ball... you could argue we actually had the better chances first half. Once we realised they are turd at the back though we were far more positive and torn them a new one 

Yep, 100% agreed with this. 

1 minute ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Salah should of had a 'stonewall' penalty first half. The ref cheated giving Barnes the foul. VAR cheated for giving the goal. There is a global conspiracy by fifa and the referees to rob Liverpool of glory. 

All I saw was Salah dive all afternoon just the usual 

1 minute ago, ARTY_FOX said:

They had their "glory" last season, greedy sods!!

25 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Wasn’t offside lol that is the funny thing about it 

I am not because I think it was first time in a long time that Vardy looked lot more sharper and got himself in these kinds of positions once again.   I thought he worked his balls off in the first half especially when our midfield were being strangled by Liverpool's midfielders.  

• Like 1