Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 3-1 Liverpool - Post Match Thread

More points after 24 games than we managed in the whole of our title defence season in 16/17 

- 2 points off our total after the same amount of games last season (which is slightly worrying considering we only finished on 62 points, and im sure we will need 67-70 points at least to finish 5th/6th & 4 points less than this time in 15/16

Edited by OhYesNdidi

2 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

More points after 24 games than we managed in the whole of our title defence season in 16/17 

- 2 points off our total after the same amount of games last season (which is slightly worrying considering we only finished on 62 points, and im sure we will need 67-70 points at least to finish 5th/6th & 4 points less than this time in 15/16

Well I like to ignore last season, because I feel we are stronger and just better all around. The wins against the so called top six prove it. We belong here, we are on 46 points with 14 to play... to match last seasons total we would well need to go on a similar run of relegation form and I can’t see that happening. 75 pts should be a nice target from here 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Where did Owen say about Vardy not being a natural finisher? He wasnt on BT

He talked about Vardy going for power rather than placement in those situations meaning he wasn't a natural finisher. Rubbish obviously, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Anyway, I thought we were excellent in this game. There was a ten minute spell in the second half in which Liverpool were well on top, during which they scored and hit the bar, but we were unlucky not be leading at half time and kept going even after conceding. Very pleased.

• Like 2

So proud of our boys today. First half just like the away game we couldn't get out, it just kept coming back at us, relentless pressure but we generally coped until the goal. I was frustrated at times at the "hot potato" attitude when we got the ball, yes you're being pressed hard but there were too many hit and hope balls up the line or crossfield but second half they seemed much more composed, patient and more aggressive.

Wilf was simply outstanding, just fear a Madrid or someone coming calling, absolutely brilliant. Harveys absolutely a man in a mans game now, slalom skiing through some top drawer opponents.

Not our problem but you have to question Liverpool's shape after the first goal and particularly for the third, don't know if they went gung-ho but they were made to look a shambles.

Even with that first half so many of ours held their own at that level (on what fraction of wage bill?) but it was the sticking at it and determination that saw them through.

Another string to Ricardos bow too, chuffed for him, he's made strides from the last game and will give us so much.

For all the VAR and arguments and banter flying about you'll never see anything more ridiculous than the Anfield penalty for Wes Morgans "Face-ball" so arguing about millimetres is nothing in comparison. Where I do have some sympathy if I was a Liverpool fan would be with the s****e coverage though after Klopp claims they've (VAR) used the wrong still picture to gauge offside from at the free kick, BT and Savage show that same picture and say "no look it's onside"...that's not really listening to his point is it but we've all been there and I've lost count of the times I've criticized the chosen frame in situations like that. They scored one goal against us which wasn't enough for a win, they have more problems than VAR to address and they're losing friends left right and centre at the moment with the Mourinho-esque excuse-ometer in full throttle. Give us some credit, you breached our defence once in 90 minutes which won't always be enough for a win and couldn't handle being run at by Harvey and Madison.

Having said all that if you take away Wilfs stunning stats and replace him with anyone else they'd have probably created chances for 3-4 goals such was his contribution, wish we could replay that Leeds defeat with him in the side this time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Well I like to ignore last season, because I feel we are stronger and just better all around. The wins against the so called top six prove it. We belong here, we are on 46 points with 14 to play... to match last seasons total we would well need to go on a similar run of relegation form and I can’t see that happening. 75 pts should be a nice target from here 

Corrected for you ‘Big’ 6.

I really think people are going overboard about how badly we played. It’s Liverpool and they were going for it - but we contained them nicely and they didn’t create much. We hit the bar before scoring a perfectly good equalizer and then they fell apart.  That’s how I saw it.

We looked a bit lethargic and kept giving the ball away but that’s because they were pressing so hard.  They are the champions - we were never going to be able to play our way for the whole match.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, brucey said:

9 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

They seemed really upset about Liverpool losing. Mcoist had the face of a slapped arse when describing Harvey's goal. 

So glad I cancelled my Sky contract. 

The disappointment and incredulation in their faces when we equalise and when we go 3-1 up says it all. 

I thought it was pretty clear - on VAR coverage/replays anyway - that it was Firmino's foot that was the offending part of the body playing anyone onside. They seem to totally be unable to see the big bit of red amongst a sea of blue? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Blarmy said:

I really think people are going overboard about how badly we played. It’s Liverpool and they were going for it - but we contained them nicely and they didn’t create much. We hit the bar before scoring a perfectly good equalizer and then they fell apart.  That’s how I saw it.

We looked a bit lethargic and kept giving the ball away but that’s because they were pressing so hard.  They are the champions - we were never going to be able to play our way for the whole match.

There is a lot being said about the possession they had, but it means nothing if you aren’t really creating... and we had about as many good chances as them in that first half to be honest 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

There is a lot being said about the possession they had, but it means nothing if you aren’t really creating... and we had about as many good chances as them in that first half to be honest 

Same tactics we employed vs man city. Sat in, soaked the pressure as they tire in the half and come higher and higher up the pitch we capitalise on the space they leave in behind. 

Its no coincidence we had a few great chances on the break at the end of the first then again at the end of the second. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, mancunianfox said:

He talked about Vardy going for power rather than placement in those situations meaning he wasn't a natural finisher. Rubbish obviously, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Anyway, I thought we were excellent in this game. There was a ten minute spell in the second half in which Liverpool were well on top, during which they scored and hit the bar, but we were unlucky not be leading at half time and kept going even after conceding. Very pleased.

Exactly this. Vardy doesn't go for placement as much as someone like Owen or Henry used to. But power counters that to an extent and has been very successful. Can't really argue with Vardy's record that he is a natural finisher. Just in a different way to Owen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Number 6 said:

Exactly this. Vardy doesn't go for placement as much as someone like Owen or Henry used to. But power counters that to an extent and has been very successful. Can't really argue with Vardy's record that he is a natural finisher. Just in a different way to Owen.

The thing is. Owen has praised Kane for doing the same thing on multiple occasions and pointing to that being a reason that Kane IS a natural finisher. 

4 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Ye's we were under a lot of pressure no doubt, but don't lose sight of the fact that we worked hard also to deny them room to shoot.

This is what Brendan calls controlling the game without the Ball.

• Like 2