Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Slavia Prague Post match - 2-0

The point about getting knocked out and therefore trying to qualify for Europe is a) it would be the better competition b) players have time to heal this summer c) we might be able to recruit better and deeper.

Don't get me wrong, we looked rank, but these guys are human and bits wear out.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Some pointing of fingers at the 'lesser' players this evening. But let's be honest, Soyuncu and Evans passing the ball at fecking snails pace back and sideways, or literally standing on it for seconds on end, did my swede in tonight. That took all the momentum out of our game at times. 

That’s a fair comment. Not sure anyone could muster a 5 out of 10 rating tonight. I hope they shake off this stinker of a performance for Sunday. 

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Spot on

Football is about challenging for trophies. You don’t get bounced out of one tournament just in case you might qualify for another

Football is about winning trophies but the reality is very few do each season and then 2nd most important thing is progression. For us to progress we need top 4 and CL money to give us that boost in bringing in 2-3 more players than we were able to do last summer. Argue that all you want but we can't do much else to fast track this clear upward curve under Rodgers.

I still fancy us for the FA Cup, I really do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Sacrifice the European Mickey Mouse competition to play with the elite. Or play in the Mickey Mouse competiton and then qualify for the Conference.

I prefer playing with the elite.

This is bollox

We didn’t go out there tonight to purposely sacrifice anything

We were just shite and did look spent 

19 minutes ago, reynard said:

You do realise that this would give us more chance of winning things. We can remain a plucky medium side punching above our weight but to really succeed we do need to become bigger and richer. Posters on here go on about the FACup and winning it but look at the last 15 seasons or so and it is nealry always one of the big clubs who wins it. I know sides like Sevilla have won the Europa League but they are a pretty big club. Even out own League Cup has recently been monopolised by Man City.

Unfortunately money talks and though we've proven it is possible to try and compete you have to say that not may other teams have done so in the lst few years. I'd like to win things too, but right now we're trying to build something sustainable and a year or two in the Champion's League would go a long way to fulfilling the success we all crave.

I don't think Champions League gives you that. It all helps yes, but the money from that won't make the difference. It's down to what your owners have got.

Just feel massively disappointed. 

Not sure why it happened, who's to blame etc.  Doesn't really matter. 

Attempts to put a positive spin on this baffle me. 

European competition is enormously prestigious for any club. 

To fail so meekly reflects badly on us. 

Feel sick. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

So you're not bothered by our league form then? I want us to win things too but we had 7 Europa League games still to navigate which is the same amount of games we play in the whole of our domestic cups in a season to try and win it.

We went full strength last week and still struggled, I'm not sure why but like in that FA Cup game vs Brighton we seem to have dropped off mentally in the cups and maybe just maybe this squad is creaking and its understandable. 

I wouldn’t say I’m not bothered about league form….

Seeing as this is hypothetical situation, I’m saying I’d trade our position in league to win real silverware 

We didn’t lay a glove SLP over 180 mins and maybe we are creaking mentally?  We appear to be much more motivated in the league…

You’re guess is as good as mine as to why this is the case?  Maybe the motivation to beat Liverpool or Villa is greater than that to progress in the cup and is a reflection with the general obsession with top 4 cup?

I get that top 4 is an amazing achievement, but, I’m a bit old fashioned when it comes to wanting to see a real cup being lifted above the skippers noggin!

Regardless of team selection, even at full strength we seem to have these games were everything is just off!

Tonight even with some personnel changes it’s not much to ask for professional players to make BASIC 5 yard passes that don’t run out of play.

If we cannot get ourselves up for a European competition that 14 other teams in the premiership would love to be in, Then it is just Top 4 if not it doesn’t matter if we finish 7-17th??

If we are struggling now with midweek games the same will be  said next season IF we qualify for the CL.

Its a massive gamble to crash out this competition the way they have, if this doesn’t pay off, a few players will be jumping ship with no European competition.

We have a massive few months ahead it surely is make or break!

I kind of feel like the fans have been cheated tonight, we’ve already been shat on by their club away from the football that you’d like to think Rodgers would have been motivated to try and beat them. 

Not only that, but we’re still a small club and we should 100% be giving it our best shot to try and go as far as we can in European competitions.

On top of that, Slavia have way much more to play for in their Domestic league, with not only having a chance at winning the title but also the luxury of being put into the Champions League, yet they didn’t feel the need to decrease their chances of winning to achieve that.

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Save this in your bookmarks, print it off and put it the little flap of the sun shield in your car with the petrol receipts and then read it this time next season when he's firing us to glory.

Open up your mind, you're not much of a romanticist are you pal?

At 19 years of age with a so called pedigree. If you cant impress as a cameo in that mess then I'll happily take my ticket and wait for the next delivery thanks 

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

They rested loads in their last league game for this. No idea of their normal team, and we should still have enough for games like this.

But, we’ve just reached a position in terms of numbers who are out and who were out but being nursed and injuries in certain specific positions, that is reducing our options drastically. Especially trying to fight on three fronts and keep the team fresh but able to win every week. 

We using the back-ups of the back-ups, currently. Dan Amartey has got a big heart but not much quality. Marc Albrighton works his bollocks off but won't produce every week. Luke Thomas has shown some promise but is still a teenager and learning.

The likes of Praet being available allowed us to rest and rotate and not flog Tielemans. Fofana being injured has meant Evans plays every game. Perez being out tonight meant Maddison didn't have a like-for-like replacement. Ricardo and Castagne being out at the same time offered no flexibility.

Rodgers did so well coaxing 10 or so great performances out of Fuchs earlier this season. But now we're further down the line it's not happening.

I was surprised by the decision not to change things at half-time tonight but he played a strong team at Stoke, made positive changes at Brentford and v Brighton. He does take these games seriously but we are one of many teams that needs their best 14-16 available most weeks.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Football is about winning trophies but the reality is very few do each season and then 2nd most important thing is progression. For us to progress we need top 4 and CL money to give us that boost in bringing in 2-3 more players than we were able to do last summer. Argue that all you want but we can't do much else to fast track this clear upward curve under Rodgers.

I still fancy us for the FA Cup, I really do.

Re. your last line; full strength or weakened side, with an eye on the league games either side.........?

For me Man U. will spank a weakened side.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

This is bollox

Wrong choice of words, agreed we were poor. I see this as not a big deal. Less games, can concentrate on staying in Top 4 and FA Cup. No fans in Europe this season made me care less too. Let's go for CL and try and win the FA Cup, this was always priority 3.

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

This is bollox

True, but I guess people are just trying to take the best of the situation. If we quality for the Champions League now, the fewer games *may* have helped. If we don't, on the other hand... Well... :nono:

1 minute ago, Twitcher said:

Re. your last line; full strength or weakened side, with an eye on the league games either side.........?

For me Man U. will spank a weakened side.

Well, we now have a week off before United in the Cup, whereas they will play on the Thursday. We have two weeks off after United for the international break

• Like 1