Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Slavia Prague Post match - 2-0

Just massively disappointing that we didn't give ourselves the best chance of progressing.

Rodgers can come out with his clichés of not prioritising the Europa League, but then why not rest Tielemans, Ndidi, Evans, Vardy and Soyuncu for one? 

He got the selection and setup wrong and he's deflecting here. Amazing to prioritize the FA Cup, which we're in EVERY year, over European competition as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Woke up and the City have been absolutely embarrassed in Europe. This is what it feels like. I reckon we’ll remember this for a while. 

Also - we ****ing batter West Ham. Give Soucek something to really celebrate the little ****. 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

They were actually quite good

Completely agree. They had a solid gameplan over the 2 legs and beat us with 2 well taken goals. 

They will do well to keep hold of Sima, he was excellent over the two games.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Yep, other than Hoffenheim and Leverkusen, we are the joke of the Europa league tonight. 

I don't think we are. Slavia Prague are no mugs and maybe therein lies the issue - underestimation. If you look at some of the results they've picked up in the last few years against clubs much bigger than us, they shouldn't be taken lightly. 

They played us perfectly. The wind up video, crap pitch, OTT play acting, low block, teasing us into a false sense of security by doing nothing for spells and then picking at our weaknesses (set plays and counters). Fair play to them. We totally underestimated them.

Edited by sdb
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I don't think we are. Slavia Prague are no mugs and maybe therein lies the issue - underestimation. If you look at some of the results they've picked up in the last few years against clubs much bigger than us, they shouldn't be taken lightly. 

We definitely are.

We had more than enough last night to beat Slavia in terms of the squad we could pick.

Brendan fooked it up with his selections I think 
We couldn’t keep the ball, we made very few chances, Amartey offers nothing going forward, Under was pants and as for Vardy... he currently looks a shadow of the player we know him to be

We’ve chucked away a brilliant chance to progress.

But hey, that’s football. We must now bounce back. 

I've calmed down. I've reflected on it and I still think if you look at nothing else, leaving Barnes out was a mistake.

We'd lost a third of our creativity with Maddison out. You can't afford to lose two thirds and only play Tielemans.

I'm a big fan of Albrighton. I've banged the drum for him on here, but they must have breathed a sigh of relief. What is it that Nasser Hussain says in the cricket; put yourself in the mind of the batsman, and operate the bowler they'd least like to face at that point in time.

8 minutes ago, Rabray said:

Too many injuries and too many competitions. To go for all of them could have cost us all of them. Something had to go. BR made the right choice not to risk key players.

Yea we haven’t got the capabilities to rest our first team attacking players as the Prague game has shown us.

Need to get some serious quality in if management want to compete in Europe next year or just treat it as a mid week trip again.

28 minutes ago, Rabray said:

Too many injuries and too many competitions. To go for all of them could have cost us all of them. Something had to go. BR made the right choice not to risk key players.

Most of out key players played.  Ndidi youri riccy timmy jonny chaglar vardy kasper.

The truth was we didnt play well. Where was the passing game? Where was the pressing?

This was the worst performance this season.

May be  two games aweek is too much.   

Well done prague.  They deserved it 

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rabray said:

You must be new here. This sort of reasonable post is most unusual. Please remember to meltdown instead. 

The performance was simply terrible, but then it shouldn't be a surprise. We drop one of these every few games this season. West Ham at home, Fulham at home, Everton at home, Zorya away, Leeds at home etc. Matches where we can't do the simple things, never mind create decent chances to score.

Rodgers getting some stick about the team selection, but I'm not sure there is a lot he could have done. Ricardo and Castagne have just returned from injury and with Justin out we can't afford them to get injured again. Resting Barnes was more controversial, but he has played a ridiculous amount of minutes recently and with Maddison out for a bit he's another player we can't afford to lose. The team he picked should have been more than good enough to win that game.

In any normal season I'd be gutted, but with it all being behind closed doors it just hasn't been exciting me at all. Add to that the amount of injuries we currently have, and how tired we look at times, and I can't help but feel a decent amount of relief.

It's felt like a hollow season from the start and now we are playing for things to be excited about for next season, when hopefully we'll be back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Agreed but given we are 3rd in the prem, it will still be seen as a shock. 

• Like 1

It was just too negative from the get go

On one hand I'm gutted, wanted to see us have a proper go at this, felt on our day, we have enough to challenge all the teams left in it 

On the other hand, concentrate on the league and FA Cup... There can be absolutely no excuses now around the building up of games in our chase for top 4. The only thing they can use is the loss of key players. Everyone around us, BAR Everton and West Ham have European football left to play. Let's start it by beating the gunners at home again, which is our thing of late. And Brendan, I do not care if it means playing Jakupovic at number 10, DO NOT PLAY TIELMANNS OUT OF HIS USUAL ROLE, we lose too much moving him

Just now, Farrington fox said:

Its a Mickey mouse competition and frankly I'm not to bothered about it. The manner in which we lost is a bit concerning though.

I think a competition that has the prize of pot 1 qualification for ECL can hardly be described as Mickey Mouse. ZDS - now that WAS Mickey Mouse (and very wet).

• Haha 1

Certainly demonstrated quite why we need another AM, as without Maddison and this no disrespect to Youri, the gap between midfield and attack is massive.

Maybe it is bridged by our best fullbacks, but we never saw this enough last night. 

• Like 1

The big disappointment for me was how long it took Rodgers to try something else other than Youri in the 10 role, literally anyone would have done better because they would have had Youri feeding them. I really expected him to change it at half time when it took until 80 mins to bring Tavares on and drop Youri back and by then we were 2-0 down.

He even admits post match that he got it wrong.

"Rodgers, who was missing the injured James Maddison and banned Kelechi Iheanacho, started with 13-goal Harvey Barnes on the bench with Youri Tielemans in a more advanced position but admitted his decisions failed to pay off".

Well done to Slavia they defended well like bee's swarming around us !

We had our chances in the 1st leg to put ourselves in a good position but lack of creativity was our down fall, no sharpness up front, Nothing to worry them.

Passing the ball around at the back in dangerous situations, we should of gone for the throat !