Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Slavia Prague Post match - 2-0

Just now, Parafox said:

I just don't understand the negativity of you lot on here. Look at where we are in the PL. It's so annoying that if we don't perform like champions every game the doom mongers dismiss us as losers. Ridiculous 

Lost 2 in 20! Not good enough though, with a thinning team we should be winning in both Europe and the pl, I think BR made a sacrifice tonight... sure he wanted to win but didn’t want to risk more key players 

• Like 2

Got everything we deserved for two abject performances on the whole. The better team over the games won - fair play to them, they're obviously limited but they are a very well drilled side, good luck to them.

I think it's all come a bit soon for us though personally. I've dug Rodgers out quite a few times over the past year, and whilst I think he didn't exactly cover himself in glory tonight, we are knackered and have basically any ounce of creativity unavailable against a side who had no need to come out at all. It's why I said last week drawing 0-0 with a largely first team out wasn't a good result - we got the worst of both worlds, we put more strain on an already tired team and gained nothing in the tie to make up for it.

Tonight Barnes should've started and we should've gunned for them early, but once it got to half time at 0-0 with next to nothing created, I did fear the worst, and so it proved.

And I've said it in previous posts - but this seasons Europa League is a bit shit really. I think we've got to treat it like a warm up for next season, when we'll be in Europe again providing there isn't some massive drop off. The fact fans can't even attend takes away so much from the whole thing. When you weigh up the pros and cons, I think this is a bit of a blessing in disguise - just providing we don't let this turn into what Villa was last season.

It's shit, and it's embarrassing, but lets just treat it as a warm up for next year. We haven't got the squad and this season is as soulless as it gets anyway.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Corky said:

To think four years ago a much inferior squad pushed Atletico Madrid all the way and went out with pride.

Tonight was the complete opposite.

Exactly. The issue is mentality and the way we were set up. We were set up to be cautious. Rodgers instilled mentality on the team. Four years ago, we believed in ourselves and had a go. This is not the first time by the way. It has been consistent theme this season and so when we don’t have the one or two sparks in midfield and rely on 20-30 mins of good football when they are alight (but we can never do it for 90 mins; others try to put it as game “management” it is actually because 20-30 mins is most we can utter because of the mentality Rodgers set for ourselves), we are too cautious and boring. This season we are one of the worst in EPL actually when it comes chances created. 

Edited by Tom12345

5 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

But you should start your best side, try and get the job done, then rest your players. We had a mish mash of players out there that  ended up with none of them being able to perform.

The 'best' rest for players is on the sidelines

If they have to play at all, then it's not a rest!

Edited by NaijaFox

Serves us right for being so arrogant from the draw. "Good draw", "Farmers League". Well, I said this was a horrible draw and would have much preferred other teams. However, on our day we should have been able to see these off. Fair play to them.

This may be a blessing in disguise for us to get Top 4. No more 2 game weeks every week. Free week before Man U cup game. We must go for the FA Cup now, no excuses for further failure.

2 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

I thought we started well truth be told. Prague came into after 20 minutes or so

I think they were expecting a tough night. Then realised we were just as shit as the first leg.

We just didn’t have a game plan. Not

one that would mean winning (or scoring) anyway.

Poor performance for everyone but they deserved it over the 2 legs as they wanted it more. 

I'm as disappointed as anyone but we'll have to focus on the remaining games and kick on. 

Still loads for go for and much to achieve. 

Finishing top 4 is the priority and probably always was, after last season. 

In 2016, spurs knocked us out of the FA Cup. 

They were still in Europe and ended up with... 

Well, you all know how it all panned out. 

😉😄

• Like 1

Just now, Parafox said:

I just don't understand the negativity of you lot on here. Look at where we are in the PL. It's so annoying that if we don't perform like champions every game the doom mongers dismiss us as losers. Ridiculous 

2 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Put it like this, you’re only as good as your last game. 

Just now, KrefelderFox666 said:

Serves us right for being so arrogant from the draw. "Good draw", "Farmers League". Well, I said this was a horrible draw and would have much preferred other teams. However, on our day we should have been able to see these off. Fair play to them.

This may be a blessing in disguise for us to get Top 4. No more 2 game weeks every week. Free week before Man U cup game. We must go for the FA Cup now, no excuses for further failure.

Yes please

1 minute ago, EnderbyFox said:

Obviously he's not to blame but I never want to see Amartey playing RB again, so uninspiring. If we are going to play a RB that doesn't cross over the half way line we may as well get Danny Simpson back on a free.

You probably won't have to as we have 2 being nursed back to fitness. 

I'm glad we're out of it. Dont need the money. Dont need injuries. Dont need the travel. Dont need more games. Last 3 points are solely aimed at top 4 qualification.

Get CL this year and bolster the squad further and then we'll be ready to play on 3 fronts. We aren't capable of this yet + the travel and the injuries to our best players.

Under needs to go and there is another headache for the club to get another RW in.

We lost to a championship side, that’s the most disappointing thing over the two legs. I would have replaced all 10 outfield players if I could. 
No pace, Tielemans was right off his game and Under reminds me of Mahrez in his early days, doesn’t pass and too one footed.

I’m gutted with that, we could have really done something in this competition.

16 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

It just makes everything feel pointless. I’m having a bit of a existential crisis. 

what’s the point in giving up Europe, for a chance to get in Europe. I just can’t wrap my head around the point of it all. 

I agree... and I know the champions league is more prestigious, but we have more chance of winning this. Yet, we give up the chance so we can focus on top four.  For what?  So we can become a richer, bigger club.  I want to win things, not become an Arsenal and happy with 4th, but no trophies.

• Like 3