Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

FA Cup Semi Final vs Southampton Sunday 18th April @ 6.30 BT Sport - pre-match thread

We can't think we've done the hard work, Brendan certainly won't let the players think that. Avoid Free Kicks around box for Ward-Prowse, if Ings is back our CB's should take care of him, Redmonds starting to look his old self, Housenhurtel will have a plan no doubt, forget 9-0's but if you said at the start of the season F.A.Cup semi vs Southampton for a  place in final you'd take that all day long. Be disciplined and we should have too much for them.

5 minutes ago, ceredigion said:

I was there the last time we were in an FA Cup semi final and I remember it well. Huge numbers of cars heading to Birmingham on the M6 with City scarves trailing from the windows, listening to the emergency debate in parliament on the car radio because Argentina had invaded the Falkland Islands the day before, the feelings of hope rising because Spurs announced that Ardiles and Villa would be dropped from the team because of the invasion.

It all seemed too good to be true. The other semi final that day was QPR v West Brom so all we had to do was to beat Spurs and we were a shoehorn to win the cup as a 2nd Division team and get into Europe.

But then it started to rain, Tommy Williams broke a leg, someone scored an own goal (Ian Wilson I think) and we returned to Leicester sadder and wiser men.

Everyone had been to the bookies that week to lay a treble bet on LCFC winning the semi final, the Tigers winning the John Player Cup at Twickenham and Grittar, a Leicestershire trained horse ,winning the Grand National. All 3 events were happening on the same day. Grittar and the Tigers did the business but not for the first time and not for the last time LCFC let us down.

Let's go one better this time and beat Southampton 10-0.

If you'd told me in 1982 that we wouldn't get to an FA Cup semi final for another 39 years I would have believed you.

Who else remembers that day?

Tigers lost that day as well. We were singing we’re going to Twickenham que sera etc when the result came through 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lesterlad said:

Tigers lost that day as well. We were singing we’re going to Twickenham que sera etc when the result came through 

Did they? I'd forgotten that then but let's face it, it was a long time ago. The Tigers seemed to win it every year back then.

• Like 1

The best yet most awkward draw. Man City we'd be clear underdogs, Chelsea I think they'd still be favourites despite the league positions, Southampton we'll be strong favourites but they've been a pain to us in recent years despite the comfortable wins we've had. Won't be easy and could do with them still having an eye on the relegation battle.

Maddison should be back and Barnes could be involved too which would be massive.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ceredigion said:

I was there the last time we were in an FA Cup semi final and I remember it well. Huge numbers of cars heading to Birmingham on the M6 with City scarves trailing from the windows, listening to the emergency debate in parliament on the car radio because Argentina had invaded the Falkland Islands the day before, the feelings of hope rising because Spurs announced that Ardiles and Villa would be dropped from the team because of the invasion.

It all seemed too good to be true. The other semi final that day was QPR v West Brom so all we had to do was to beat Spurs and we were a shoehorn to win the cup as a 2nd Division team and get into Europe.

But then it started to rain, Tommy Williams broke a leg, someone scored an own goal (Ian Wilson I think) and we returned to Leicester sadder and wiser men.

Everyone had been to the bookies that week to lay a treble bet on LCFC winning the semi final, the Tigers winning the John Player Cup at Twickenham and Grittar, a Leicestershire trained horse ,winning the Grand National. All 3 events were happening on the same day. Grittar and the Tigers did the business but not for the first time and not for the last time LCFC let us down.

Let's go one better this time and beat Southampton 10-0.

If you'd told me in 1982 that we wouldn't get to an FA Cup semi final for another 39 years I would have believed you.

Who else remembers that day?

I remember the juke box in a near by pub playing Don't cry for me Argentina over and over. 

I also remember a mini bus of Tottenham nutters screaching to a holt and the occupants piling into us outside Villa Park. 

I was in the opposite end to the Holte End where I'd stood on that infamous night in '74.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckfortonfox said:

West Brom at home could become are penultimate game now.

1 hour ago, Stevosevic said:

That's a great fixture. They'll be dead and buried.

The premier league seem to have decided to rearrange games as early as possible ......it could be that we play them before the semi !