Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Iran

Odsonne Édouard

26 minutes ago, Verumex said:

Why does this give me the feeling that we will start to transition to a more traditional 4-4-2?

I much prefer 3 at the back, but having 4 at the back would make sense. We look dodgy as it is when passing between the back line, but when spreading the ball from the back 3 further to the wing backs and midfield, we still look vulnerable. 

We scored a lot of goals last season but we conceded a lot too so changing to a back 4 as an option may work.  

I don't see it working though save for a tactical match change. I believe getting Tarkowski, Soumare, Edouard and a RW gives us strength with a spine together a lot more experience that we've been crying out for.

19 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

Not that it means anything at all necessarily, but he no longer mentions Celtic in his Instagram bio.

Because we all love this sorta stuff 😉

I think he's known he's been coming here for a while.

11 hours ago, HoustonFox said:

The more I see the analysis and read about him (as well as watching), he seems more similar to a Kelechi than anything else. Play style is similar: drop off, link play, look for space, cut in and shoot. He does it from the left, Kels from the right. I’m not saying he’s not good but just that he’s similar in style.

I think he’ll also be more effective in a two and maybe a bit better as a one. He certainly creates space for others like Iheanacho but as he does on the left, I think that will help Harvey. A similar winger to Harvey up front who can cut in would make it exciting as well. That way we can get overloads with the winger joining the attack from either side as their sides striker creates room. 

attached is a side by side of Edouard and Kelechi’s heat maps from this season. 

976AA6B9-C376-4117-9675-9CA0265DCEF7.jpeg

There doesn't seem to be much heat coming from Edouard, is he a bone idol bugger 🤔 😁

• Like 2

I'm really liking the look of this guy, I did have reservations when his name was first dropped but I'm completely sold on the guy and think he could be an excellent addition.

Anything he's lacking, he's still young enough to develop on and with Rodgers in charge, I think he can get the very best out of him.

And.... That Chant :worship:

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I'd ignore his heat map from this season tbh, whether it is due to long covid or whatever else he's barely been arsed getting out of a jog this season.

Also add in the fact that 99% of the games we play in Scotland teams are camped in their own 18 yard box for 90 minutes and it can skew things like the above.

He does like to peel left and come from deep quite a lot but I'd say one of his biggest strengths is his ability to run in behind and finish. If you look at a lot of our games against stronger sides such as against Rangers and in Europe a lot of his goals have come this way. In short although there are similarities on the basis of that heatmap he's a very different type of striker to Iheancho.

My concern with this is, he'll occupy the space Barnes and Maddison do (albeit it from different starting positions) in a 4-2-3-1 which is the left channel. Vardy ever so cleverly creates the space for them to do so by pulling defenders away from that line, it could still work but it might take some adjusting.

2 hours ago, Merchant_Banker said:

No room for Maddison in a 4-4-2.

Who said Maddison would be a starter in that system? 

Besides, whatever formation we transition to, we would still be very fluid, having another we can switch to mid game.

Also Maddison can play on a "wing", he'd still roam and switch around with the right striker in such a system. But no matter what formation we play, there will be a great player who doesn't fit, which means we'll looking at mixing it up on a regular basis, and I can see a 4-4-2 with:

Edouard-Iheanacho

Barnes-Tielamans-Ndidi-Mystery RW

being a very interesting option.

Rodgers wants more goals, this would get them. 

42 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

My concern with this is, he'll occupy the space Barnes and Maddison do (albeit it from different starting positions) in a 4-2-3-1 which is the left channel. Vardy ever so cleverly creates the space for them to do so by pulling defenders away from that line, it could still work but it might take some adjusting.

So long as it's to create space and allow runners to go past him and link up with him, I don't see it as an issue. If you have two players just lolloping about not making runs within a few metres of each other, then it's a problem. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Verumex said:

Who said Maddison would be a starter in that system? 

Besides, whatever formation we transition to, we would still be very fluid, having another we can switch to mid game.

Also Maddison can play on a "wing", he'd still roam and switch around with the right striker in such a system. But no matter what formation we play, there will be a great player who doesn't fit, which means we'll looking at mixing it up on a regular basis, and I can see a 4-4-2 with:

Edouard-Iheanacho

Barnes-Tielamans-Ndidi-Mystery RW

being a very interesting option.

Rodgers wants more goals, this would get them. 

With what we have at the moment I would be more inclined to go 4-3-3, NDidi, Tielemans and Maddison behind Barnes, Edouard/Vardy and Iheanacho. Rather than a winger we should be looking for a wide forward, replacing Iheanacho in that formation and being equivalent to Barnes.

2 hours ago, Rusko187 said:

I'm really liking the look of this guy, I did have reservations when his name was first dropped but I'm completely sold on the guy and think he could be an excellent addition.

Anything he's lacking, he's still young enough to develop on and with Rodgers in charge, I think he can get the very best out of him.

And.... That Chant :worship:

I showed my OH one of the videos of the Celtic fans the other day, and have been singing it to him every since. Purely on the basis of the song it has to happen. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....Kelechi is the reason for the other player upfront!!!

4-1-4-1 or  4-2-3-1 will be a major feature of our play, rotation will be the byword for the coming season.

Hopefully. As long as it starts with a 4 I'll be happy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I can see where that concern comes from but I think Rodgers will have him well drilled as to play as a focal point and to look to run in behind when transitioning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I'd ignore his heat map from this season tbh, whether it is due to long covid or whatever else he's barely been arsed getting out of a jog this season.

Also add in the fact that 99% of the games we play in Scotland teams are camped in their own 18 yard box for 90 minutes and it can skew things like the above.

He does like to peel left and come from deep quite a lot but I'd say one of his biggest strengths is his ability to run in behind and finish. If you look at a lot of our games against stronger sides such as against Rangers and in Europe a lot of his goals have come this way. In short although there are similarities on the basis of that heatmap he's a very different type of striker to Iheancho.

That was actually his heat map from the U21 tournament but I’ve also looked at his heatmaps from the past 2 seasons from here  https://www.sofascore.com/player/odsonne-edouard/795228 (on your advice to ignore this year) and he seems to still pull left a lot, look for feet and link turn, give and go or cut in and score. I do see a lot of similar traits to Kels with that, and wasn’t saying it’s a bad thing! More for the people who want a Vardy mk2, he’s definitely not that. He’s also not a pure “number 9” and that’s where I see him similar to Kels. He’s a “9 and a half”. I’m sure Rodgers will give him direction but it seems he naturally drifts left and drops to get involved. (I think that’s where this Henry comparison comes from?)

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Same, see above. I’m actually thinking for Harvey it will be a good thing and he can cut in more and have more of a foil down the left to play off with give and goes etc. As I said previously, an RW who can do that is much needed too. I echo your concern on Madders, Rick. If anything with the Youri talk, I think he needs to think about how he can become that replacement if he wants to get in the team on a regular basis long term. He should look to his mate Grealish as well. Bulk up a bit, work on his stamina and speed and if he did that… woof! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reynard said:

Trouble is when you are linked with players with the potential of Daka (even if an unreliable link) this transfer starts to feel like those old queues at school lunchtime when you're told there is apple crumble and custard only to get to the end of the queue to be told that all that is left is the strawberry blancmange.

Going from Gosens to Redmond is the Leicester way lol 

4 hours ago, chapero82 said:

I have no idea why I said Remond yet here we are lol 

Who’s Remond?!? 😂 

I know what you’re getting at though. 😂 

• Haha 1