Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Iran

Odsonne Édouard

I'm guessing this fell through because of the hold up in Celtic getting a manager and now that manager playing hardball. Perhaps we always had eyes on Daka, saw this was stalling and have now pushed through on the Daka deal. 

Are Celtic playing hardball, or is it because they wouldn't get much of a fee for Edouard after PSG's 40%, maybe they want him to put in a transfer request .  Perhaps they have taken the decision to keep him, and therefore not have to go out and buy a striker when they don't have much money at the moment!

Edited by Le Renard

Simon Jones for the DailyMail (Anyone know how reliable he is?) - apparently Celtic were asking for £25m!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9699147/Leicester-advanced-talks-sign-Salzburg-forward-Patson-Daka-amid-Chelsea.html

They had lined up France U21 international Edouard since January but negotiations over the fee with Celtic had become protracted.

Edouard had one year left on contract but his previous club Paris St Germain had a 40 per cent sell on and Celtic were asking £25m.

Edouard may now look elsewhere but is also considering seeing out his contract and leaving as a free agent.

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

We have a track record of following players for years determined to sign them because we think they'll be a decent long term addition or an asset likely to grow in value. 

If we've been talking to Edouard and his agent, and we obviously have, it wouldn't surprise me if we've sold him on the long term vision, especially with Rodgers here. 

Wouldn't shock me in the slightest if we and he are both still interested next summer and he turns up on the free to partner a now settled Daka with Vards' 36th looming. 

And with a blooming huge golden hello, too. 

1 hour ago, Le Renard said:

Are Celtic playing hardball, or is it because they wouldn't get much of a fee for Edouard after PSG's 40%, maybe they want him to put in a transfer request .  Perhaps they have taken the decision to keep him, and therefore not have to go out and buy a striker when they don't have much money at the moment!

They'll get even less for him if he stays another year and sees out his contract.

1 minute ago, Hack said:

Didn't we agree to sign Bertrand of contact from the saints? 

He wanted Audi Cup football so is talking with Spuds now...

4 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

LCFC extremely unimpressed with Celtic's approach to this since everything was done other than price and then goalposts moved.

I would doubt if the player and his agent are particularly impressed either.

That's certainly not going to help motivate him if he stays at Celtic next season. 

Just now, TommyK said:

That's certainly not going to help motivate him if he stays at Celtic next season. 

There's too much noise about him wanting a move coupled with the fact that contract here was agreed for him to be wanting to stick around at Celtic. I just can't believe they are risking no sale and ending up with a wantaway striker. He might even strike, he does seem like a bit of a pr ick; like all footballers I guess. 

Ah well, what will be, will be.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

LCFC extremely unimpressed with Celtic's approach to this since everything was done other than price and then goalposts moved.

I would doubt if the player and his agent are particularly impressed either.

Not surprising if Lawwell had anything to do with it. Whatever. Extremely happy with Daka and our growing reputation and ability to punch above our weight in the market.

26 minutes ago, Hack said:

Didn't we agree to sign Bertrand of contact from the saints? 

A free................Gosens?

Well I was excited about this but him and Celtic can suck a fat one cos the internet says that other bloke is betterer.

(Unless we get him as well, or on a free next year, in which case good work French eddie, postman Patson will make you feel welcome), feeling annoying with @murphy

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

We have a track record of following players for years determined to sign them because we think they'll be a decent long term addition or an asset likely to grow in value. 

If we've been talking to Edouard and his agent, and we obviously have, it wouldn't surprise me if we've sold him on the long term vision, especially with Rodgers here. 

Wouldn't shock me in the slightest if we and he are both still interested next summer and he turns up on the free to partner a now settled Daka with Vards' 36th looming. 

100%... him and Tarkowski on freebies would be nice 

• Like 3

The 40% if true (and I doubt it) is on profit. We signed him for £9 mill apparently so £15 mill is only a few million and Celtic move on a player on high wages and have money in the bank for the enormous rebuild needed.

I'm wondering if Eddy was the smokescreen while we worked on the Daka transfer? Arguably it worked as we've been able to negotiate and hopefully bag Big Pat pretty much while nobody was looking.

If our interest in Daka had been made more public, much sooner, we might have been in a bidding war.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

I'm wondering if Eddy was the smokescreen while we worked on the Daka transfer? Arguably it worked as we've been able to negotiate and hopefully bag Big Pat pretty much while nobody was looking.

If our interest in Daka had been made more public, much sooner, we might have been in a bidding war.

I was thinking about this as well. Could be a valid theory that Edouard was used as a decoy, while in actuality the club were secretly pursuing Daka all along and did not want to show their cards.

Edited by Iran
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

There's too much noise about him wanting a move coupled with the fact that contract here was agreed for him to be wanting to stick around at Celtic. I just can't believe they are risking no sale and ending up with a wantaway striker. He might even strike, he does seem like a bit of a pr ick; like all footballers I guess. 

Ah well, what will be, will be.

...nor sure how you have come to this, as he did not kick off at the end of last year's transfer window, when we were expecting him to come here!!!

Not had a good season and his covid and extended recovery was a factor plus his teammates were not exactly excelling in defending all the trophies they had previously gleaned.

I have not heard of him making noises about leaving and I  would not expect any, should he be asked to stay for the coming season.

• Haha 1