Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

Manchester United (A) Pre Match (Tues 11 May 2021 18:00) BT Sport

With a lot of you on this, if Evans is out we have to go back to a back 4. Unless Amartey plays as an actual CB in a back 3 :unsure:. That would leave Castagne to play on the wing where he's used to?

Kasper

Ricardo - Fofana - Soyuncu - Castagne

Ndidi

Praet - Tielemans

Perez

Vardy - Iheanacho

Maddison can be rested for the final if it must be the case. If he's not fully fit I don't get how he plays 3 times in a week, for any amount of time. I don't think he's as car-crash as a lot make out, but I do agree he's not at his best right now. Perez has shown more in his cameos off the bench.

Vardy isn't getting the goals but he's still important to how we play. Confidence still taking a hit but he's still grabbing an assist here and there. It might not be the most frequent of contributions but he's still important. We have to stick with the 2 because that brings out the best in Iheanacho. Drop Vardy and leaving him isolated is worse than maintaining the back 3 to suit the formation we're currently used to. I'd be amazed and disappointed if Rodgers changed the front 2 set-up. 

Got nothing to lose with starting Praet. 

Ironically, whatever team we start with, I think what will be more telling is the side Man Utd start with for this game as well as their Villa game, and what that signals for their priority i.e. does Ole value our game more or the one against Liverpool. The old cliche is that points on the board are more important so maybe he'll go strong today and Tuesday, and rotate Thursday?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lineker's Left Foot said:

Don’t know if anybody else feels like this but I just want the games to come thick and fast now to ‘put me out of my misery’.  We achieve CL or we don’t.  It’s being in this limbo or purgatory that is driving me crazy!

Yes... you get over a result, start to get a glimmer of hope, just to be let down again. It drives me potty because I sit here now thinking “yea I think we will do United” but we couldn’t even get ourselves up for Southampton or Newcastle..... so it’s looking like we’re going to have to hope West Ham and Liverpool mess up. 

19 minutes ago, Lineker's Left Foot said:

Don’t know if anybody else feels like this but I just want the games to come thick and fast now to ‘put me out of my misery’.  We achieve CL or we don’t.  It’s being in this limbo or purgatory that is driving me crazy!

At least they are a bit now, the week wait between Southampton and Newcastle to see what was shown, at least its every 4 days or so from here, an we might see a little variation of players. (I don't expect much) but 3 changes would be ideal. 

1 hour ago, Lineker's Left Foot said:

Absolutely, except with england about to be overhyped in the euros managed by an over negative manager the misery will sadly continue! 

I'm concerned heads are already gone, for both players and Rodgers, suspect even Man Utd's reserve side could easily brush us aside. Not looking forward to this at all.

Hope Rodgers has them fired up for a change. He must be visibily shitting himself when delivering team talks when it comes to big games because the players' heads drop if we havent scored after the first 2 minutes. It is pretty painful viewing when you think back about how fiercely we started every game when we won the title.

Rodgers needs to make everything more compact and make the players play closer together. The gaps are insane and our play predictable so it is just painfully easy to stiffle us. Biggest threat is Nacho so just give him the ball as much as possible in the box.

Best case scenario 1-1. Nacho again.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, splinterdream said:

I like this but I'm thinking, could vardy play as a winger instead of Praet? 

Only one problem with that. Can we expect Vardy to track back as well as his forward runs? I'd rather use him as the main man and have Kel as a number 10. That probably means dropping Maddison. 

Just now, enmac said:

Only one problem with that. Can we expect Vardy to track back as well as his forward runs? I'd rather use him as the main man and have Kel as a number 10. That probably means dropping Maddison. 

We scored two goals in the last 3 games where vardy ran down the left and then cut it back to ian.

With no barnes..  vardy is a useful threat on the left

3 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

The biggest blow is the loss of Evans. It’s a disaster. Just hoping against hope he’ll be fit for the final. 

Agree, but how can we take the risk? He might break down at any minute. Can't see him playing again until the problem is fixed. Likely it needs surgery IMO. 

3 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

We scored two goals in the last 3 games where vardy ran down the left and then cut it back to ian.

With no barnes..  vardy is a useful threat on the left

When Barnes was fit and playing there he used to help out defensively. Could we expect Vardy to do the same? I don't think so at his age. 

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

With a lot of you on this, if Evans is out we have to go back to a back 4. Unless Amartey plays as an actual CB in a back 3 :unsure:. That would leave Castagne to play on the wing where he's used to?

Kasper

Ricardo - Fofana - Soyuncu - Castagne

Ndidi

Praet - Tielemans

Perez

Vardy - Iheanacho

Maddison can be rested for the final if it must be the case. If he's not fully fit I don't get how he plays 3 times in a week, for any amount of time. I don't think he's as car-crash as a lot make out, but I do agree he's not at his best right now. Perez has shown more in his cameos off the bench.

Vardy isn't getting the goals but he's still important to how we play. Confidence still taking a hit but he's still grabbing an assist here and there. It might not be the most frequent of contributions but he's still important. We have to stick with the 2 because that brings out the best in Iheanacho. Drop Vardy and leaving him isolated is worse than maintaining the back 3 to suit the formation we're currently used to. I'd be amazed and disappointed if Rodgers changed the front 2 set-up. 

Got nothing to lose with starting Praet. 

Ironically, whatever team we start with, I think what will be more telling is the side Man Utd start with for this game as well as their Villa game, and what that signals for their priority i.e. does Ole value our game more or the one against Liverpool. The old cliche is that points on the board are more important so maybe he'll go strong today and Tuesday, and rotate Thursday?

Problem with this formation, where's the width? 

6 minutes ago, enmac said:

Problem with this formation, where's the width? 

Yep, it's lacking but without any 'natural' wingers to provide balance*, it's difficult. Which is partly the reason why Rodgers persists with a back 3/5 even though several aren't fans of it.

Ricardo & Castagne will provide some width but it leaves us hugely exposed on the counter. And we all saw how criminal that was on Friday night. 

*Albrighton obviously gives us width but that's only on one side.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

The biggest blow is the loss of Evans. It’s a disaster. Just hoping against hope he’ll be fit for the final. 

Yep. I don't trust Fofana and Soyuncu without Evans.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yep, it's lacking but without any 'natural' wingers to provide balance*, it's difficult. Which is partly the reason why Rodgers persists with a back 3/5 even though several aren't fans of it.

Ricardo & Castagne will provide some width but it leaves us hugely exposed on the counter. And we all saw how criminal that was on Friday night. 

*Albrighton obviously gives us width but that's only on one side.

How we miss Barnes! This season has been pole axed by his injury and those to Evans and JJ. 

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

Yep. I don't trust Fofana and Soyuncu without Evans.

Know he's not popular on here, but I feel that Amartey has to play. We forget that he was part of our title winning squad, joining in January 2016.

3 minutes ago, enmac said:

Know he's not popular on here, but I feel that Amartey has to play. We forget that he was part of our title winning squad, joining in January 2016.

He should have replaced Evans on Friday instead of Castagne going centre back which fvcked us up. No idea why Rodgers didn't just do a straight swap.

• Like 2

I cannot see Evans being back for United he was on crutches on Friday. We don't have any easy choices but Fofana I believe is used to playing in a 3 and there was very little cohesion with Cags on Friday. So perhaps either Amartey or even drop Wilf into the centre of defence and bring Mendy in to midfield although it sounds a bit negative I know for a game we need to win.

Castagne looked so uncomfortable on Friday so I would like the wing backs to stay in their normal role. We don't have time to make major changes in formation.