Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group B: Denmark, Finland, Belgium, Russia

More from Braithwaite: 

"I have no doubt at all that you will see something special in Parken on Thursday. Not just from the players, but from all the people."
"It's something I'm looking forward to and I'll definitely use it as motivation to go out and play for Christian", says Braithwaite.

Asked whether the national team was considering withdrawing, Braithwaite says it is not something the team has talked much about.
"So many thoughts come in. Football is not the first thing you think of when something like this occurs."

The Danish players ended up resuming the match against Finland less than two hours after Eriksen's collapse. Subsequently, UEFA went out and said that the match was resumed at the request of the players. But that is not how Braithwaite interprets the message:

"It was not a wish. We had two options, and in that situation we were told we had to make a decision."

The Danish players were told that they could either play the match on Saturday night, otherwise it could be resumed on Sunday at 12.00. "In that situation, of course, one would have liked there to be a third option. You do not want to go out and play at that moment", says Martin Braithwaite, "We all knew very well that there would be no sleep at night. The next day was not at all an opportunity for us to go out to play."

• Sad 1

Words from Højbjerg:

"For me, it is crucial that Christian is okay. Then I'm okay too", Pierre-Emile Højbjerg tells TV 2 SPORT.
Eriksen was in contact with the rest of the national team already on Saturday night, before the match against Finland was played. They talked together again on Sunday, and it has given Højbjerg "a kind of energy" that both Eriksen and his family are well. 

"He also told us that we must look forward to the match on Thursday. Not literally, but in its own way", says Højbjerg.
"You want to play on Thursday - play for Christian."

"There have been so many people with respect and understanding that I do not know how to say thank you."

Having a hard time with UEFA taking no responsibility at all and still saying 'the players wanted to play'. That is definitely not how the players experienced it. We have to accept decisions were made and the game went ahead, but we also have to learn when those decisions were probably not the right ones.

Actually believe someone in the Danish FA should have taken more responsibility on the night and just said 'sod UEFA; they can do whatever they want, we are not playing tonight or tomorrow; we are going to get help'. I think thats why Kasper Hjulmand expressed guilt yesterday.

Christian is okey, which is all that really matters, but it would be even more comforting if the right people took some responsibility and actually expressed that lessons were learned. 

14 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

Having a hard time with UEFA taking no responsibility at all and still saying 'the players wanted to play'. That is definitely not how the players experienced it. We have to accept decisions were made and the game went ahead, but we also have to learn when those decisions were probably not the right ones.

Actually believe someone in the Danish FA should have taken more responsibility on the night and just said 'sod UEFA; they can do whatever they want, we are not playing tonight or tomorrow; we are going to get help'. I think thats why Kasper Hjulmand expressed guilt yesterday.

Christian is okey, which is all that really matters, but it would be even more comforting if the right people took some responsibility and actually expressed that lessons were learned. 

Obviously this is more pertinent to us since we were close to it and are being bombarded with news about it constantly, but I think you're right. I would've wished the FA (Peter Møller specifically as an ex-player) would've made that decision, but I will not hold it against anyone who was close to the incident. People made decisions under unreal pressure and I still believe it was UEFAs duty to step in and take responsibility and send people home.
Kasper mentioned today that if there had been a Covid outbreak, a game could be rescheduled within 48 hours. They also couldn't explain why the other option was to play at noon and not in the evening at the same time as the NED-UKR game. Either way, many questions and still total silence from UEFA who only say "it was the players' wish/choice to play".

• Sad 1

It got me thinking, that's the third major medical incident Denmark have suffered at the Euros after Allan Simonsen's infamous leg break in 1984 and Henrik Andersen's horrific knee injury in 1992, with Simonsen and Eriksen arguably the star players of their teams as well. That's not including Kim Vilfort's tragic story during and in the immediate aftermath of Euro 92. Every Dane will of course think fondly of the Euros due to 1992, but there's some rotten luck associated with the team during these tournaments too.

23 minutes ago, shen said:

They've both played? So yes, every team has played at least one match now.

23 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

That's happened already. Russia lost to Belgium and Finland beat Denmark in the game that should have been postponed after Eriksen collapsed.

Thanks guys I actually watched both games so looks like I may be suffering from memory loss. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2