Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Bertrand signs

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Good interview with Ryan.

He says one of his roles is to play slightly deeper and act as the spare man when they have 3 at the back to help build up play and get the team going. This is important to note, the way we play in our 4231 it's rare that both fullbacks go at the same time; our attacking shape is somewhat of a 325 and of the two fullbacks Ricardo is the one that is usually given more licence to roam forwards because he's superb at doing that. So *don't* expect Bertrand (or Thomas) to support the attack as often as Ricardo.

If Bertrand goes, Riccy will stay back, if they both go then Ndidi will drop back into the middle 3. That means on the turnover we have bodies back to make a challenge.

All that said it was notable that Bertrand definitely got forwards a few times, as he has done in all of our games. I think the way we play suits him, he is not asked to bomb on all the time, but he can pick and choose moments to do so, and he has the quality to make a difference when that happens.

Finally his set piece delivery was very good. Wouldn't surprise me if we a get a few more goals this season from Bertrand corners and free-kicks.

At times Riccardo was almost as high and wide as Barnes on the left.

Wonder if it will work as well of we don't have two CB as mobile as Fofana and Cags playing.

5 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Wonder if it will work as well of we don't have two CB as mobile as Fofana and Cags playing.

We know it works with Cags and Evans as they’ve played 4231 many times together. 

But we need options and cover and that cover may not be able to play the same way. 

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

We know it works with Cags and Evans as they’ve played 4231 many times together. 

But we need options and cover and that cover may not be able to play the same way. 

True, what Evans lack in mobility he's makes up for with experience and know how.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Agree with this, but can’t work out if we were purposefully playing an asymmetrical formation or it was just his attacking instincts kicking in.

Just now, Saxondale said:

Agree with this, but can’t work out if we were purposefully playing an asymmetrical formation or it was just his attacking instincts kicking in.

Bertrands interview post-game came across as it was a tactical plan.

26 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Bertrands interview post-game came across as it was a tactical plan.

He said similar in radio Leicester interview too. Something they had worked on was what I gathered from it and it didn’t just happen by chance.

1 hour ago, Saxondale said:

It's intentional, Rodgers did the same on the other flank with Tierney at Celtic. 

Celtic-formation.png

For me it's why Ricardo really kicked into gear under Rodgers. He was good under Puel, but the Rodgers system benefits him enormously.

• Like 1

Was so impressed with him last night. After the first 10 mins or so, you could see the understanding between him and Barnes grow. His set pieces are sooooo much more reliable and dangerous than Maddisons. Corners threatened each time and after his free kick came in on a plate for Soyonchu, he just grew. Looking forward to him in the team. Wise, experienced, perfect replacement for Fuchs

• Like 3

6 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

He says one of his roles is to play slightly deeper and act as the spare man when they have 3 at the back to help build up play and get the team going. This is important to note, the way we play in our 4231 it's rare that both fullbacks go at the same time; our attacking shape is somewhat of a 325 and of the two fullbacks Ricardo is the one that is usually given more licence to roam forwards because he's superb at doing that. So *don't* expect Bertrand (or Thomas) to support the attack as often as Ricardo.

If Bertrand goes, Riccy will stay back, if they both go then Ndidi will drop back into the middle 3. That means on the turnover we have bodies back to make a challenge.

Reminds me of Simpson and Fuchs.

Almost always it was Simpson that would hang back as Fuchs could get up and down more frequently. But you knew if Simpson went up then Fuchs would have the intelligence to stay back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

It's intentional, Rodgers did the same on the other flank with Tierney at Celtic. 

Celtic-formation.png

For me it's why Ricardo really kicked into gear under Rodgers. He was good under Puel, but the Rodgers system benefits him enormously.

This makes so much sense. You can literally remove those names and that’s Leicester 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AmyLGK said:

I didn't realise how fast he was!! A surprisingly really positive addition to the squad...and his crosses, free kicks and corners were amazing 😲 

Any Fantasy football player knows his worth.

This is a bargain of a signing

He seems really motivated and I think he gets how lucky he’s been to come into a club on our trajectory and I think he’ll make the most of it. Really shrewd signing. Think we do well at spotting a mid/end of career player similar to Evans who adds a lot