Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Bertrand signs

10 minutes ago, leecif said:

Also can take a corner! Such a missing piece last season 

I genuinely had no idea he was a set piece taker. What a bonus. So consistent with it too. Maddison seems to try too hard, whereas Bertrand just calmly puts it into great areas! 

Interesting article about left backs in the PL written in 2018:

"Perhaps the only real star is Ryan Bertrand, a truly excellent full-back defensively and offensively and far too good to be involved in a relegation battle at Southampton." 

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/23/blog/post/3390575/for-several-top-premier-league-clubs-left-back-is-a-liability

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I’m really happy that he looks good, was worried about this signing but he has slotted right in nicely. Likes to get forward and certainly knows how to pass 

This! Same here.

4 hours ago, leecif said:

Among Bertrand's other attributes on display thus far, sparing us the collectively agony of watching Madders seeming aim most of his set-pieces at the first opposition player is well worth his wages!

8 hours ago, leecif said:

He seems really motivated and I think he gets how lucky he’s been to come into a club on our trajectory and I think he’ll make the most of it. Really shrewd signing. Think we do well at spotting a mid/end of career player similar to Evans who adds a lot 

Very true, and a real change from the way it used to be back in the 2000s - hands up anyone who remembers (and shudders at the thought of) Wise, Keown, Dublin and the other "one last payday" merchants who ripped us off season after season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

He got binned off a while ago though didn’t he. 

Every one of Bertrand’s were on the money, couldn’t believe we didn’t win a single one of them. 

I don't know mate. I usually turn my attention elsewhere whenever we get a corner 

• Haha 1

Class, solid pro, lots of experience, looks a leader.

We have a minimum of 46 games even if we get knocked out in our first round of the League Cup, FA Cup and the group stage of the EL.

More then likely we are going to play some were between 50+60 games, Thomas is still going to get 20-30 apps. 

• Like 2

It made so much sense to sign him and now it just makes even more sense. Contained Mahrez pretty well, delivering great set pieces and even came up with a great interception leading to Vardy's big chance.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Another amazing bit of business …. very very impressed so far.   

Yep, a few on here gonna have to eat their early words about Ryan and their preseason doubts!

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

Great signing. Disagree re comments on Luke Thomas though. More than good enough to start for us now, Thomas is very very good.

Thomas did some genuinely really impressive defending yesterday.

He’s already a better defender than Chilwell was for us for example. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

Thomas did some genuinely really impressive defending yesterday.

He’s already a better defender than Chilwell was for us for example. 

I think Bertrand will start the season as first choice but I’d be surprised if they didn’t split the position fairly evenly. 

Maybe I’m slightly bias as I’m a HUGE Thomas fan. Gunna be a class left back for us and England.

• Like 1

Unlike a few, had no doubts about the sensibility of this signing. He's exactly the type of player Rodgers loves to work with.

He's even quicker than I thought though, and also an excellent set piece taker.

Our full back options if we Ever get them all fit, is unreal. 

56 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Thought he was coming as an experienced pro to provide back up to Thomas. Looks like I was wrong, very impressed with his set pieces too had no idea he had that skill.

To be fair, Southampton, had an absolutely unreal set piece taker in Ward-Prowse during a lot of Bertrand’s tenure there, so even it explains why few of us saw it coming.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, leecif said:

Been a missing piece for a while. I genuinely can’t think of the last decent corner taker we had. Whenever I think of Leicester city and corners I just get flashbacks of Maddison, Waghorn, David Bell, Knockaert, Marshall standing over it only to hit the first man every single time without fail lol

Some of you may be wondering how David Bell made it onto this list. He was the ultimate front post corner taker. Could barely get it off the ground every single time lol