Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

QPR ..3pm

Looked very much to me like the players who started were coasting and wanted minutes whereas the players who came on wanted to make an impression.

Nelson, KDH and Sowah have shown enough to me that we need to keep them around the first team as they may get a chance. 

Daka looked awesome. I’d be tempted to start with him and it’s up to Vardy to win the shirt back - not the other way around. 

Need to get a right winger done if we want to be up there again. Going to be the difference IMO. 

Add Maddison, Evans, Schmeichel, Praet, Castagne and Justin with this team and we’re looking strong

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

What a superb game! Enthralling stuff from start to finish!

Lots to talk about!

- Soumare looks BRILLIANT. Don't want to put to much pressure on him, but the last time a French midfielder looked that impressive in his first few games... Well you know the rest.

- Fofana is superb. For a 20 year old he is simply phenomenal. Man U signed Varane for 50m, Arsenal the same for Ben White. This guy is one of the top in the division, we are so lucky to have him.

- Bertrand has settled very well. We knew what we would get, but he's fits like a glove. Very good signing.

- Youri looked great given that he's only just come back from pre-season.

- Ricardo showing some glimpses of his former form.

- Perez back to his usual self! Pressed very well and won the ball back very well, but the move breaks down with him so often. Replace him with a top winger and we'd be a real force. But well we all knew that already.

- Terrible at taking corners and terrible at defending them. Nothing has changed there sadly!

- Marc Albrighton showed why he deservedly got a new contract. He's a legend for the club.

- KDH is really promising. He will get lots of games and will make an impact. We are so stacked in central midfield at the moment.

- Patson Daka is the one! He played like peak Vardy, stretching the play, chasing things down. Brilliant signing and wonderful he has already scored.

- Iheanacho looked sharp and scored.

- Ryan Nelson looks a real prospect. Don't sign a new centre back, give him a chance I say!

- Kamal Sowah looks quite interesting. I wonder if he will get a squad place? He looks like a decent player even if he's just an impact player.

Massive credit to QPR by the way. I would have a punt on them to win the Championship, they were superb.

Does sowah need a squad place as he is 21? Or is it only under 21?

Would be happy with Benkovic & Nelson as 4th/5th choice this season.

Amartey is in the last year of his contract, so it's probably worth trying to get a bit of money for him this summer. 

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xen said:

The 43 year old New Zealand footballer/MLS coach? It'd be a risk, but you never know... :ph34r: 

lol

Ok the lad's name is Ben Nelson. I will admit I had no idea who he was till this pre-season and it seems like he was academy player of the year last season. Incredibly he is only 17 years old (!). He was really impressive in every game he's played so far. Problem is at 17 that might be a bit too young to give him Premier League starts in that position. But at the same time, the guy looks like a massive talent and we are the sort of club to give players a chance...

I have been really impressed with him throughout pre-season. His size helps, but his footwork is very good, and showed he can pass the ball very well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Brendan has got an issue on his hands because the team I think he wants to pick isn’t actually the best 11 we currently can send out.

Daka has to start for me over Vardy, I know “it’s just pre-season” but Vardy hasn’t looked remotely dangerous to the opposition at all in any of the games so far. Brendan has to find a way to get Kiernan in the team, the difference in our attacking play is night and day when he is on the pitch compared to when he’s off it. 

Totally agree with all of this. 

1 minute ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

Does sowah need a squad place as he is 21? Or is it only under 21?

Great question! I am not sure actually. He is still 21, and he might count as homegrown even if he was loaned out for the last few seasons.

He's in a tough spot though, he will basically be the Demarai Gray of this season, an impact player with a few starts. That's great for us, bit I could understand if at his age he wanted to play first team football every week. He'd probably set the Championship alight if he was loaned there.

But given it's a tricky position for us as it stands, I don't think it would be bad idea to give him a few chances.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Great question! I am not sure actually. He is still 21, and he might count as homegrown even if he was loaned out for the last few seasons.

He's in a tough spot though, he will basically be the Demarai Gray of this season, an impact player with a few starts. That's great for us, bit I could understand if at his age he wanted to play first team football every week. He'd probably set the Championship alight if he was loaned there.

But given it's a tricky position for us as it stands, I don't think it would be bad idea to give him a few chances.

Counts as u21 for the prem, as the cutoff for next season is those born after 1st Jan 2000, and he was born on 09/01/2000. So he wouldn't need a Prem squad place, and neither do Thomas and Fofana. Don't know about the Europa League.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Nice to see some early shouts for "embarrassing" and "shambles" before the season's even started, I've really missed this kind of level-headed analysis. Plenty of "I know it's only pre-season but" as well, which is handy because it lets you know you can immediately disregard the rest of the comment.

Nice for lovely Pat to get a goal and play a part in the other two. Soumaré and KDH looked sharp again and I wouldn't be averse to starting them together against Man City to give Tielemans a rare day off. Nelson looks exceptionally composed on the ball.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Brendan has got an issue on his hands because the team I think he wants to pick isn’t actually the best 11 we currently can send out.

Daka has to start for me over Vardy, I know “it’s just pre-season” but Vardy hasn’t looked remotely dangerous to the opposition at all in any of the games so far. Brendan has to find a way to get Kiernan in the team, the difference in our attacking play is night and day when he is on the pitch compared to when he’s off it. 

This 100%. That second team was levels ahead of the first pick. 

thomas over Bertrand. Barnes for sowah. 

KDH for .... I genuinely have no idea but we need to get him in. 

How do we deal with the daka/Vardy conundrum. 

Taking all my Leicester heart out of the equation. My team for Villarreal would be 

kasper 

RP  WF  CS  LT

WN

KDH      YT

Ki.                      HB

PD

Obviously very harsh on soumare but KDH looks our best player so far.

Get a new RW and we will mean business.  However, I think this could allow us to be really fluid, HB moving in behind 2 strikers at times and allowing the fbs to add the width 

The fact we would have options of Vardy, soumare, Madison and castagne ont he bench is so exciting. 

Vardy is the goat but I think Brendan really needs to use these games to see if daka is ready to go. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

lol

Ok the lad's name is Ben Nelson. I will admit I had no idea who he was till this pre-season and it seems like he was academy player of the year last season. Incredibly he is only 17 years old (!). He was really impressive in every game he's played so far. Problem is at 17 that might be a bit too young to give him Premier League starts in that position. But at the same time, the guy looks like a massive talent and we are the sort of club to give players a chance...

I have been really impressed with him throughout pre-season. His size helps, but his footwork is very good, and showed he can pass the ball very well.

Exactly the same here - hadn't heard any mention of him and suddenly he's stepped up really really well. You're right that it's probably too early for him to have much of an impact in the PL, but it wouldn't be completely unheard of...

On the face of it there might have been a concern that he was excelling in the academy because of his size, but if anything these appearances have just confirmed that there's a lot more to it than that and he actually seems pretty accomplished. Could have a big future.

Could potentially have earned himself a L1/Championship loan off the back of these performances, but I'd be tempted to keep him at Seagrave and really involve him in the first team training. He'd learn an awful lot from training against senior PL players, and alongside Evans in particular, and might even get the odd appearance in the cup games and/or Europa league (similar to Barnes getting his first look-in against Porto).

11 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

Thought it was a good run-out.

Easy to over-analyse these things, but I agree we still seem to be searching for a formation. All feels a bit square-peg-round-hole at the minute. 

Was impressed with Soumare, Daka and KDH. Fofana was OK as well.

Very much not impressed by Perez! 

"Fofana was OK"!!!  I thought he was immense!

Edited by PaulW
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Time to give Gary Cahill a call

I'm surprised we are still in for another defender, when we have Benkovic who has (imo) looked decent enough in the pre-season games he has played and well Brendan sang his praises at Celtic. I am guessing injury issues could be the problem?