Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Wesley Fofana - He is no more - finished - forgotten.

27 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

It won’t happen yet. And if it does then it would take a monster fee. The kid is destined for greatness so we will not be letting him go for anything other than above the odds. 

Like I said, if Maguire is worth £80m, then surely Fofana is over £100m easily. 

I think we all spot the flaw in that last statement - "if Maguire is worth £80m..."

Certainly if we sold Fofana we'd need to replace him, and would possibly spend 50m in doing so. So yes, I can't see us selling for less than 70 or 80m.

The biggest danger is we sell and don't replace, and just hope Evans can stay fit for most games. 

Just now, SkidsFox said:

I think we all spot the flaw in that last statement - "if Maguire is worth £80m..."

Certainly if we sold Fofana we'd need to replace him, and would possibly spend 50m in doing so. So yes, I can't see us selling for less than 70 or 80m.

The biggest danger is we sell and don't replace, and just hope Evans can stay fit for most games. 

Don`t forget Etienne sell on percentage.

Would not spend 50m, would buy Omuar Solet

4 minutes ago, Jakemoore said:

So two bad signings overshadow the rest? I find that hard to accept. By my maths he’s got it right 70% of the time. I’d say that’s pretty good. 

It depends what value (positive or negative) you assign to each signing. If each signing is just allocated a simple plus or minus, I’d be inclined to agree that it’s been positive overall. But if you give each signing a weighting according to how good/bas they’ve been, it’s much closer to call…

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

It depends what value (positive or negative) you assign to each signing. If each signing is just allocated a simple plus or minus, I’d be inclined to agree that it’s been positive overall. But if you give each signing a weighting according to how good/bas they’ve been, it’s much closer to call…

Yes but this is then based on "popularist perception" and that is in no way based on anything useful!

Bertrand does not play, so is poor value

Vestergaard is not the right sort of player for our style, so is poor value

Perez is.......Perez, and he still confuses me  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Jakemoore said:

So two bad signings overshadow the rest? I find that hard to accept. By my maths he’s got it right 70% of the time. I’d say that’s pretty good. 

Yes, but you've put Soumare and Praet into the positive column for some bizarre reason which is very creative accounting imo and although you acknowledge that Tielemans was a Puel signing, you have still credited him to Rodgers.

By my maths there are more fails than wins under Rodgers, hence we are in this seemingly unique situation of accumulated duds preventing us from moving forward

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jakemoore said:

How have you developed that attitude? We’ve made mistakes in the transfer market. Find new club that hasn’t. But by and large we’re one of the best for recruitment in not just the PL, but in the world. We get it right more regularly than we get it wrong. I find it so weird that our ‘fan’ are so negative about the club. It’s like slagging off your own family. 

I think we should develop the players we have at this point... we have some good players and some who need some help of various kinds.  I dont think we will buy better.  We need players who know each other...

I have developed this idea after hours of hard thinking.  I am not looking for a quick fix like the manager.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, murphy said:

Yes, but you've put Soumare and Praet into the positive column for some bizarre reason which is very creative accounting imo and although you acknowledge that Tielemans was a Puel signing, you have still credited him to Rodgers.

By my maths there are more fails than wins under Rodgers, hence we are in this seemingly unique situation of accumulated duds preventing us from moving forward

Completely agree

We paid a large sum of money also for Perez who very rarely starts games and who’s sell on value will be miles off what we paid.

Id add him to this list too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, murphy said:

BR still got the Tilemans signing done. I don’t think Puel would have been appealing enoug to Tilemans. If reports were true he could have gone to a number of other clubs but I think BR convinced him as he was and still is a big name and much bigger than Puel. 

I stand by my comments on Praet from the Praet thread a few pages down. I think he’s a quality player and we’re lucky to have him. If he goes and therefore his signing doesn’t work out I’ll change my opinion. But I think he’ll stay and do well this season. 

Jury is still out on Soumare. He can’t be placed in the bad category after one season. I suppose you can say the same for Vestergaard and Bertrand but the difference is, we’re all unanimously agreed that they weren’t good enough before they signed and that hasn’t changed. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

Completely agree

We paid a large sum of money also for Perez who very rarely starts games and who’s sell on value will be miles off what we paid.

Id add him to this list too.

I’ve said that Perez was and is a fail..

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

So you don’t really know then?

Fofana is already rated as one of the best young CB’s in world football. 
Colwill has had one good season at Huddersfield.

I wouldn’t sell Fofana in this transfer window to replace him with pretty much an unknown. Seems risky to me that.

Have you actually seen him play? 

Ric never said he wanted Colwill as a Fofana replacement... He wants him in addition to keeping Wes, after selling Soyuncu.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jakemoore said:

BR still got the Tilemans signing done. I don’t think Puel would have been appealing enoug to Tilemans. If reports were true he could have gone to a number of other clubs but I think BR convinced him as he was and still is a big name and much bigger than Puel. 

I stand by my comments on Praet from the Praet thread a few pages down. I think he’s a quality player and we’re lucky to have him. If he goes and therefore his signing doesn’t work out I’ll change my opinion. But I think he’ll stay and do well this season. 

Jury is still out on Soumare. He can’t be placed in the bad category after one season. I suppose you can say the same for Vestergaard and Bertrand but the difference is, we’re all unanimously agreed that they weren’t good enough before they signed and that hasn’t changed. 

I agree with you re Praet, I like him, but for whatever reason, he has not worked here so has to be considered a bad signing that we will lose money on and one we didn't need anyway.  

As for TIelemans, I actually think that the reverse is true, that Puel was instrumental in bringing him over andit was quitr a coup at the time.  Whether Rodgers helped to convince him to make his move permanent, then I can give him credit for that, but I think that what we are really talking about is identifying a signing which was already done with regard to Tielemans. 

It is the players that we are in for and linked with that seems to have gone backwards under BR's tenure.

9 hours ago, Tielemans63 said:

Some further food for thought re Barcelona and their epic levels of pisstakery.

Barca would have been put in to administration long ago, docked points and relegated as a result if they played in any other major league European League. The amounts they owe some of their own players in back salaries is staggering. I think though the bulk of it happened under one particular president of the club when they were throwing around obscene amounts of money and it should really be investigated thoroughly as some major agents fees would have been paid. Maybe it was his way of putting his hands in the cash register indirectly. It looks from afar that it reeks of corruption and if it walks like, talks like, smells like it usually is. 

• Like 3

Can the club just nip this in the bud before the nonsense grows any more legs?

foffana is NOT for sale! He’s on a lengthy contract. He’s just come back from a serious injury and is happy at Leicester and eager to play a full season and hopefully get picked for the French national side.

Chelsea can go do one if they think we’re as naive as we were when we sold Kante’ to them. No way Jose!

8 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

Can the club just nip this in the bud before the nonsense grows any more legs?

foffana is NOT for sale! He’s on a lengthy contract. He’s just come back from a serious injury and is happy at Leicester and eager to play a full season and hopefully get picked for the French national side.

Chelsea can go do one if they think we’re as naive as we were when we sold Kante’ to them. No way Jose!

Clubs tend not to comment on idle transfer speculation.If they did, they'd need to employ a lot more PR staff...

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 2

Hopefully we have a plan for a replacement already lined up. Can't faff about for 3 seasons looking for a CB.

Truth is that we probably need to sell him then we can get a versatile forward, CB and CM.

And like arsenal did, take a hit on the dead wood and subsidise their wages to leave.

3 hours ago, Jakemoore said:

I’m pretty relaxed on this one which is all down to the club and how well they’ve managed this situation. I’m pretty sure we’ll tell Chelsea to do one with out ‘over the top’ valuation of Fofanna. The ink is still wet on his latest contract and we won’t be letting him go for anything south of £70m. 

IF Chelsea do decide that he’s worth it (he is worth it btw. I’d pay £100m for him now if I was them). We’ll have the money to bring in 3 or 4 players and hopefully be able to move some dead wood on. 

I just can't see it. He signed a new long term contract and there is a sell on clause. If we sold him, the price of every CB in Europe would triple for us. Chelsea wouldn't pay us what we would require to actually make a profit.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I've seen him several times, was already aware of how highly he was rated in Chelsea's academy but it was his performances at Championship level where its proven he's well on his way to the sort of progression that will see him step up seamlessly.

I want Colwill regardless of Fofana being linked to them, if Fofana were to go I'd want another exceptional young defender, this isn't me saying Colwill slots in instead of Fofana and off we go.

We don't need proven Premier League players, it's the biggest waste of money and red herring in top level football.

He's comparing to Fofana anyway, ignoring the fact Fofana had hardly played that much before we signed him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

I think we should develop the players we have at this point... we have some good players and some who need some help of various kinds.  I dont think we will buy better.  We need players who know each other...

I have developed this idea after hours of hard thinking.  I am not looking for a quick fix like the manager.

A club of our size really needs to develop the academy side. Looking to pick up bargain buys abroad is a  risk and financially we can't compete with  the big boys. Look at what Man Utd achieved in the nineties with Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, the Neville Brothers all Academy products.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I've seen him several times, was already aware of how highly he was rated in Chelsea's academy but it was his performances at Championship level where its proven he's well on his way to the sort of progression that will see him step up seamlessly.

I want Colwill regardless of Fofana being linked to them, if Fofana were to go I'd want another exceptional young defender, this isn't me saying Colwill slots in instead of Fofana and off we go.

We don't need proven Premier League players, it's the biggest waste of money and red herring in top level football.

Absolutely.

There is no value in it and mostly those kind of signings keep you standing still imo.  It is the undiscovered gems and youth on their way up that take you forward.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Ric never said he wanted Colwill as a Fofana replacement... He wants him in addition to keeping Wes, after selling Soyuncu.

I didn’t say that Ric wanted Colwill as a Fofana replacement. I was asking Ric what he knew about Colwill and why he feels so assured he’d be a good signing.

And he replied.

The point I was making is that some posters have expressed a desire for a certain amount of money (eg 100 mill PLUS Colwill).

And I was saying this is risky because (money aside) we’d then be replacing a proven Premiership CB who is one of the best young centre backs in the world with a young lad who’s had a single season at Huddersfield. Money aside, that’s risky imo.

Fundamentally, I don’t agree with the assertion that ‘proven Premiership ability’ isn’t important. I think it is. It’s very rare that clubs discover ‘hidden gems’ such as Fofana. Generally, clubs recruit players who they pretty much know (or believe) can cut it at the senior level. 
If we’re were to get 100 mill plus Colwill for Fofana, I’d have no qualms with having Colwill at the club. But what I WOULD do is to spend a decent chunk of that money on buying a proven, experienced, quality CB to come straight into the first team, whilst Colwill was still developing and pushing for a first team spot. I wouldn’t just chuck Colwill straight in against the likes of Man City, Liverpool et al and expect him to shine.

With Fofana that has worked. But it’s not the usual way. Again, which is why most clubs don’t usually do that.

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

Clubs tend not to comment on idle transfer speculation.If they did, they'd need to employ a lot more PR staff...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11055467/Wesley-Fofana-NOT-sale-say-Leiecester-amid-Chelsea.html

Wesley Fofana is NOT for sale insist Leicester amid interest from Chelsea, as the Blues look for an alternative to Jules Kounde who prefers to join Barcelona from Sevilla