Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfc043

14 hours ago, Collymore said:

Smith never really got the heart pumping first time around so if he's appointed permanently then it's going to seem a proper anti-climax. I think with relegation and player exodus fans in general just need some sort of a lift and that that can be easily done with  an exotic name in the management seat. 

The thing is I'm sure if Smith was appointed he'd probably do OK. It'll just be the most boring appointment ever. 

If it's to be Smith then l firmly believe we are in for a long exile from the EPL, he will have us under performing and will be sacked (albeit 6 months too late).

What we need now is an astute appointment of emerging talent because the alternative is a failed but experienced carousel pony like Smith.

I don't think our clubs "leaders" have it remotely in them to be so visionary or brave however.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, J. James said:

If it's to be Smith then l firmly believe we are in for a long exile from the EPL, he will have us under performing and will be sacked (albeit 6 months too late).

What we need now is an astute appointment of emerging talent because the alternative is a failed but experienced carousel pony like Smith.

I don't think our clubs "leaders" have it remotely in them to be so visionary or brave however.

I don't think it will be Smith anyway but if it was I think more highly of him than that. We'd be in safer hands than Rodgers that's for sure. Smith would steady the ship. 

Guest Mee-9
49 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Villa moving Purslow on and bringing in Monchi, whilst our internal review has just got past the naming of the enquiry and page numbering.

We should be all over Purslow. 

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Villa moving Purslow on and bringing in Monchi, whilst our internal review has just got past the naming of the enquiry and page numbering.

Our internal inquiry  is like a Tory government internal investigation- a PR exercise. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

As hard as it is I think people need to separate the ownership of Vichai and Top. They are not the same person and do not have the same ownership style. Vichai was a business man and he was ruthless, where as Top wants to be friends with the players and coaches. Yes they share the same surname but Vichai is/was levels above Top.

It annoys me when people speak about “what the family have done” (obviously I’m incredibly grateful), but the majority of work was Vichai’s work that Top has continued, because truthfully how could he not continue it? Top has made several poor decisions now and I do wonder at times whether he feels obliged to continue this as he never speaks about what he wants for the club, it’s always “carry on what my father built”.

I just hope Top learns from this experience, but I can’t help but feel that he’s too focused on relying on others to fix the team he owns.

We don’t know this and the convenient delineation of Vichai’s death is just that, convenient. Perhaps Top had more time to be involved with the club when his did was around to lead the business empire, but now he has no such time?  :dunno:

Yes, it is his job, not to fix the club, but to ensure who he selects to run the club can, and no doubt mistakes have been made in recent times, just hope relegation is a massive wake up call.

I also strongly dislike the wilful ignoring of the past positives with one little ‘yeah but now…’ statement, as every single positive will be confined to history at some point, just as every single negative will be.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2023 at 00:22, Bluearmyfox28 said:

As hard as it is I think people need to separate the ownership of Vichai and Top. They are not the same person and do not have the same ownership style. Vichai was a business man and he was ruthless, where as Top wants to be friends with the players and coaches. Yes they share the same surname but Vichai is/was levels above Top.

It annoys me when people speak about “what the family have done” (obviously I’m incredibly grateful), but the majority of work was Vichai’s work that Top has continued, because truthfully how could he not continue it? Top has made several poor decisions now and I do wonder at times whether he feels obliged to continue this as he never speaks about what he wants for the club, it’s always “carry on what my father built”.

I just hope Top learns from this experience, but I can’t help but feel that he’s too focused on relying on others to fix the team he owns.

Yes, exactly this.

• Like 1

On 12/06/2023 at 21:53, Mickyblueeyes said:

I saw this today and laughed. There is a genuine group within our fan base that call Top the driven chairman/owner that Villa have. 

We sold a player for £80m and that January bought in Ryan Bennett on loan - going for the champions league. All the money spent in the summer they said - we bought Ayoze ****ing Perez for £30 bastard million. 

Monchi coming into Villa who have Rob McKenzie the Walsh disciple sat on transfers. We have Rudkin and replaced Marcia with Congerton. With Emery in management Villa are the ambitious club. Tielemans didn’t sign the contract because he wanted CL. He didn’t sign because he saw the lack of basic ambition. Ironic that he signed for us previously because of the Vichai led ambition.

He’s weak

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

say what you want about top but i just don’t see how people can question his commitment. 

He’s certainly happy to be seen and obviously is taking a huge interest in us getting back up. 

I think most chairman shy away after the humiliation of a defeat… try to get out of it… like at leeds. but i truly believe Top is fully in this still 

Our twitter team know its easy content and p.r for the club whenever they lash up a photo of him.

Edited by SemperEadem
  • Like 2

On 12/06/2023 at 21:53, Mickyblueeyes said:

I saw this today and laughed. There is a genuine group within our fan base that call Top the driven chairman/owner that Villa have. 

We sold a player for £80m and that January bought in Ryan Bennett on loan - going for the champions league. All the money spent in the summer they said - we bought Ayoze ****ing Perez for £30 bastard million. 

Monchi coming into Villa who have Rob McKenzie the Walsh disciple sat on transfers. We have Rudkin and replaced Marcia with Congerton. With Emery in management Villa are the ambitious club. Tielemans didn’t sign the contract because he wanted CL. He didn’t sign because he saw the lack of basic ambition. Ironic that he signed for us previously because of the Vichai led ambition.

Vichai died before Youri even came on loan don't let facts get in the way of a good narrative.

19 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

say what you want about top but i just don’t see how people can question his commitment. 

He’s certainly happy to be seen and obviously is taking a huge interest in us getting back up. 

I think most chairman shy away after the humiliation of a defeat… try to get out of it… like at leeds. but i truly believe Top is fully in this still 

Agree, but this doesn't mean we as a fanbase can't be concerned about the action and decision-making or lack thereof.

See @Mickyblueeyes post at the top of this page for examples of why (excluding the Tielemans timeline error).

However much I love the guy for his commitment and for what his family have achieved here, he needs a massive upgrade of advisors in order to upgrade the right positions within the club.

And he needs to do it now.

22 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I’d say the situations are significantly different from Leeds - the popularity of both chairman couldn’t be more different. 

I’ve gotta get over it at some point but I scratch my head most days currently wondering why this interest wasn’t there last summer, 

25 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Agree, but this doesn't mean we as a fanbase can't be concerned about the action and decision-making or lack thereof.

See @Mickyblueeyes post at the top of this page for examples of why (excluding the Tielemans timeline error).

However much I love the guy for his commitment and for what his family have achieved here, he needs a massive upgrade of advisors in order to upgrade the right positions within the club.

And he needs to do it now.

right there^ is the nail on the head. 

I think Top has done what he should do, as someone with little football knowledge (or business knowledge tbf) he should be leaving all of those decisions to an advisor who does know football. 

Similar to how ryan reynalds doesn’t actually get involved in any football decisions.

There are 3 things top can and should do. 

1) Have the right qualified people in those advisory positions. Obviously right now it seems we don’t, but we have had previous success with these same people so you can understand why he’s giving them a chance to rebuild credibility. 

2) invest - a) in personal b) in-infrastructure… on both counts he does seem to be willing to do this. last summer … well that’s still a bit of a mystery what was happening. 

3) fan engagement, keeps us in the loop and is present. I don’t think he’s been as good at this as he should have been, way too quiet when things were going bad. 

Overall, when people throw abuse and full blame at him for our relegation i think it’s just a bit misplaced. Whilst there were actions he could have taken, that would be overstepping the golden rule number 1) let your football people make the football decisions.   Now the issue all comes because the football people we have, we’re making all the wrong calls! 

• Like 1