Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Southgate Out!

On 25/11/2022 at 21:20, BlueBrett said:

20 minutes to go we need a goal... let's bring on Jordan Henderson 

He was brought on to stop us conceding ! We were being overrun. It settled things down, that’s how l saw it, for what it’s worth. 
Foden should’ve come on. Kane was ineffective. That was the main issue. 

Edited by STEVIE B
  • Like 1

I'm one of his biggest critics, but I'm not sure who you would replace him with.

Top tier managers don't manage in international football, it's not the highest echelon of the game anymore.

If you going English you have the like of Howe and Potter both overrated in my book and neither would leave there current jobs.

10 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

TBH, I am grateful to Southgate - I was worried what the BR-out-whatever-the-evidence campaigners were doing with their invective mid-season :) 

Well this one wants Southgate awarded a ten year contract

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Super_horns said:

He seemed more happier after last night than when we won 6-2 which says  something  about his mind set maybe .

Done well to get a squad together that want to play for each other etc but are doubts over his in game management.

And there lies the problem in the modern game (certainly at the higher levels).

Too much obsession in controlling the game (yet doing absolutely nothing with the control), too much possession obsession and death by football, far too many people within and outside the game have been brainwashed.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

Here in the states the hype over this game was insane! Bars were overrun by USA fans because it was England they were facing and they wanted to cause an upset and they nearly did. Seriously was questioning what the hell I was watching in the bar!

USA was out running and out playing England across the pitch. England looked like they were running with ankle weights very bizarre to see. Not until grealish came on did we see some shift but it was slight. 
shoukd have brought foden on too. 
the highlight was seeing Harry magoo turn into Messi and dribble past 3 players in the opposite end. 

I just want England to play their best not some tactical BS. We have the weapons just bloody unleash them southgate you big ponce!

• Like 2

On 26/11/2022 at 16:01, MattFox said:

Has there ever been another manager that’s so hated by the core support yet loved by media and the casual fans?

Disconnect is massive 

I am casual,but core support on my Apple …

I have never hated anyone..going around doing a Basil Fawltey ain’t in every fans mind when thinking of our young Lad Gary..

Just the new generation of 30-50 yr old fans,who now realise football manager PC games havent changed their own outlook. And though the world seems to get quicker each day,definitely not English-International management.

Honestly Southgate isn’t any worse than what’s been before.

Just the fans spitting out the same rhetoric as in the past,which for Mr Southgate,just  ain’t true…ie: He does bring in new blood,and try new players..

old guard hardly exsists…So that’s a weird tact..

Tonight’s the night Gary, you need to get our & your team performing..

Lets for once not have we poor fans waiting until the last 10 minutes.

The English strength of the PL is in your hands….Brylcream,Shaving & deodorant adverts are relying on our lads…

& Madders want to sell his new line in Bakpacks…:rolleyes:

I suppose this comes down to the question, what’s more important the result or the performance?

Because on results, we’ve never had a better group stage of a World Cup than this. 
We’ve never had a better result at the Euros than we did under Southgate.

We’ve only once 60 odd years ago had a better result at a World Cup.

So as far as end results go, only one manager has done better. 
I’d also argue we’ve had better teams than the one at this current World Cup.

So is it just the boring nature of the games that frustrates people? Remember some of the great Italian teams in history were boring as bat shit, get a goal and keep the ball and defend for 90 minutes.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

I suppose this comes down to the question, what’s more important the result or the performance?

Because on results, we’ve never had a better group stage of a World Cup than this. 

So is it just the boring nature of the games that frustrates people? Remember some of the great Italian teams in history were boring as bat shit, get a goal and keep the ball and defend for 90 minutes.

Yep.

Perhaps this is an overly Vulcan way of looking at it but the numbers speak for themselves and they are what the history books remember, barring the occasional romantic outlier.

11 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

No. For me the failure to fulfil potential. Yes the results are the best in my generation, but so is the talent pool and the incredibly easy draws we got in 2018 and 2021 in a home tournament are unfathomable. Looking at the bench yesterday, the talent is scary. 

We shouldn’t be comparing ourselves to teams of yesteryear, it’s not fair as we’ve progressed hugely since then and had luck with the draws. A capable manager would’ve got to the final in 2018 and brushed Italy aside in 2021. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

No. For me the failure to fulfil potential. Yes the results are the best in my generation, but so is the talent pool and the incredibly easy draws we got in 2018 and 2021 in a home tournament are unfathomable. Looking at the bench yesterday, the talent is scary. 

We shouldn’t be comparing ourselves to teams of yesteryear, it’s not fair as we’ve progressed hugely since then and had luck with the draws. A capable manager would’ve got to the final in 2018 and brushed Italy aside in 2021. 

It's very tricky, my neutral view is that Southgate has made England harder to beat. It might be boring to watch but it is getting results.

However, I do wonder if in certain aspects he tries to be too clever rather than opening games up a bit more and blowing the opposition away.

England could do better and maybe to win a few trophies (the best chance is in the next decade or so) need that next level manager. On the other side, picking a worse manager is also an option. Worth the gamble to get some silverware though I guess?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

This really should be qualified as opinion rather than stated as fact, seeing as unless any of us possesses the ability to travel to parallel universes there's no way whatsoever to be certain of it.

51 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

It's very tricky, my neutral view is that Southgate has made England harder to beat. It might be boring to watch but it is getting results.

However, I do wonder if in certain aspects he tries to be too clever rather than opening games up a bit more and blowing the opposition away.

England could do better and maybe to win a few trophies (the best chance is in the next decade or so) need that next level manager. On the other side, picking a worse manager is also an option. Worth the gamble to get some silverware though I guess?

Definitely worth the gamble, to avoid becoming another Belgium 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

This really should be qualified as opinion rather than stated as fact, seeing as unless any of us possesses the ability to travel to parallel universes there's no way whatsoever to be certain of it.

Given it’s an online football forum I would hope people take that it’s my opinion as a given, or this forum would be very boring if we trade in facts alone. 2021 should rankle with England fans forever. You’ve taken an early lead in a final against an ageing team in a home match in a hostile and partisan atmosphere, and you sit back and get pushed aside. Opportunities like that come around once in a lifetime, if that