Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Southgate Out!

Like a lot of others have said, we've never been particularly entertaining to watch! But we also used to consistently lose to top 8 sides without even laying a glove on them.... that's a thing of the past.

He has undoubtably improved so many things though, the players are happy and look forward to international breaks, the press are on side... this is all good stuff that over time will lead to a more relaxed group with a more open style.

I think he'll be here until after 2024 Euros regardless of what happens Saturday due to the managerial moves that have happened that perhaps people weren't anticipating ahead of this World Cup. I also wouldn't be particularly surprised to see him lead us in 2026. (Fernando Santos has been in charge of Portugal for 8 years... that's not gone too badly!)

Howe is clearly very settled and doing exactly what has been asked of him, interestingly he now provides an even better option as a future England manager as he's gone away and learned how to organise a defence as well as play attractive football. 

Potter, who knows how long he lasts at Chelsea but one thing for sure is he's no longer at Brighton and therefore isn't as easy to approach in the next month or so as he would have been previously.

I also don't see us going down the foreign route again, Tuchel has expressed an interest but his football is a horrific watch and he clearly doesn't have the same touch with the media as Southgate does. 

I personally prefer this current situation to limping through qualifying or crashing out at the group stage! 

Germany have failed three times in a row

Spain tiki taka'ing there way to an early plane home

Yes France and Brazil are currently more fun to watch, but we're still there with them!

Edited by AjcW

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

It would in a normal profession though wouldn't it. 

If you were a sales manager and managed to improve the sales figures more than any of your predecessors you'd be calling it a success. 

Or if you managed a team that managed to process things quicker than any of the previous managers had done.  Or made more profit. 

Football is polarising because we as fans "expect" England to win tournaments.  Yet history suggests over the last 60 years that we dont. 

We look back glowingly at Euro 96 because England made a semi final.  Or Bobby Robson at Italia 90 for the same reason  

Venables and Robson are seen as good england managers. 

I think we have to accept that Southgate is a GOOD England manager. 

whether by luck or judgement, he seems to navigate tournaments relatively well. Compared to his predecessors. I see that as a success. 

now i dont think he'd be a good club manager... but that's an entirely different argument! 

See where you're coming from but not for me. If said sales manager was given more resource than his predecessor (an alarmingly good team, honestly the standard is frightening, and we thought 2006 the best crop we'd ever get..) and some of the major market competition had been nuked (the draws we got in 2018 and 2021 were just too straightforward) then they would not be expected to simply do better than the predecessor, different standards now exist, i.e. win a tournament. 

Likewise if the sales manager blew a surefire major contract, early 1-0 leads against a knackered Croatia side in a semi and then in a home tournament final in a raucous partisan atmosphere, there'd be major repercussions. The sales manager would probably make way for someone who can handle themselves at the top table.

• Like 2

He's definitely been the best of my lifetime but the bar is very, very low as well. The biggest credit I can give to Southgate is that for the most part England navigate 'lesser' sides as well as virtually anybody in tournaments. I don't think Morocco would've done to England what they did to Spain. But England under Southgate still don't really have that iconic a win. I suppose beating Germany in 2020 but this really isn't a good Germany, they've won 3 out of 11 games in tournaments, including losses to Japan and South Korea in games they needed results in. It encapsulates the situation in a way, it's not something to beat him with but I also think that's a fixture in this day and age England are favourites for.

Other than Spain away in the nations league in 2018 (?) I don't recall England winning a game we weren't favourites for under Southgate, but then I think you could date that back virtually my entire lifetime too.

Saturday is a different kettle of fish. For me if he beats France it's his best ever result.

23 hours ago, AjcW said:

Like a lot of others have said, we've never been particularly entertaining to watch! But we also used to consistently lose to top 8 sides without even laying a glove on them.... that's a thing of the past.

He has undoubtably improved so many things though, the players are happy and look forward to international breaks, the press are on side... this is all good stuff that over time will lead to a more relaxed group with a more open style.

I think he'll be here until after 2024 Euros regardless of what happens Saturday due to the managerial moves that have happened that perhaps people weren't anticipating ahead of this World Cup. I also wouldn't be particularly surprised to see him lead us in 2026. (Fernando Santos has been in charge of Portugal for 8 years... that's not gone too badly!)

Howe is clearly very settled and doing exactly what has been asked of him, interestingly he now provides an even better option as a future England manager as he's gone away and learned how to organise a defence as well as play attractive football. 

Potter, who knows how long he lasts at Chelsea but one thing for sure is he's no longer at Brighton and therefore isn't as easy to approach in the next month or so as he would have been previously.

I also don't see us going down the foreign route again, Tuchel has expressed an interest but his football is a horrific watch and he clearly doesn't have the same touch with the media as Southgate does. 

I personally prefer this current situation to limping through qualifying or crashing out at the group stage! 

Germany have failed three times in a row

Spain tiki taka'ing there way to an early plane home

Yes France and Brazil are currently more fun to watch, but we're still there with them!

Thats a good post. It would look really good in the Southgate in thread.

• Haha 1

You have to be fair to him, he has made England respectable and changed the mood

But it really is time to hand it over to someone at another level, he’s not good enough to get us over the line. Really boring patting ourselves on the back for not being shit but when push comes to shove against anyone decent we’re found wanting

• Like 1

Just now, ithuriel said:

The FA will not get rid, he is perfect for them, solid yes man so nothing will change until he decides to quit.

This exactly, he won’t walk though. 

It’s a nice little job for him isn’t. He’s shown he can’t cut it at club level.