Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Patson Daka

Wer'nt Chelsea interested in him earlier in the season.

We might get a hansome Fee off them seeing as Boely is throwing lots of money around some average players. 

Daka needs more time to develop his wider knowledge of the game if we're keeping him, Then I feel he will come good.

Personally think Daka will come good. The whole team has suffered a lapse in confidence and quality in his time here. He was brought in to a side that finished 5th and won the FA cup but was meant to be slowly phased in whilst Vardy went the other way. The team unexpectedly stuttered and so when he was given games there was more pressure on him to perform because as a side we were underperforming based on previous years. This then meant he was trusted less because we weren't in a position to nurture him, if you will. He wasn't a new player slotting into a side that was comfortable with where it was and only needing him to adapt. The onus went on him to win games, as it does with strikers, but in a team that lacked conviction. That trend has continued into this season. He strikes me as a confidence player, as many strikers are, because his confidence in front of goal has waned. Some will point to that being a quality issue. I think the moment that enforced that for me was the Ricardo goal against PSV last season. The ball comes across to Daka in the box and a confident striker puts his foot through it, and smashes it straight in. But it looked to me like a player whose instinct was to make sure he didn't miss rather than scoring. He put his shot on target, it was saved, but it lacked conviction, and power, and as a result he didn't score, although Riccy got the rebound. It's like when you watch a nervous player taking a pressure penalty. Their mindset isn't right.

Of course he could actually be shit. But I doubt it.

• Like 3

Now there is a bit more confidence and swagger about us, I'd expect Patson to have a purple patch at some point this season; but perhaps coming off the bench initially.

Sadly it seems JV9 is on the downward slope now, although we all know he's going to have a couple of crucial goals left in him for us; not the type to go out with a whimper!

16 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Those championing the great Seniorman Iheanacho and calling for Patson Daka to be binned are forgetting that for rhe first 3 years Iheanachobwas the absolute pits here, Daka so far has been like Pele compared to Kelechi was.

Yes he's not done anywhere near as well as many (me probably the most) thought he would, but if Iheanacho has taught us anything its that young strikers with certain weaknesses like them both need time, patience and the players around them to thrive. 

I'm not giving up on him yet, I'm fascinated to see how he does with a supply line of Barnes, Maddison and Tete in and around him, his devastating pace with those pulling defences all over the place could see him getting on the end of a lot more through balls and crosses than we've previously seen.

This does (as other posts in here) appears to be begging the question of what the clubs preffered type of striker and formation/positions Rodgers and the club want to do in the future? 

From what I'm seeing and yes it's early days but It appears that we want to play a Man City breed of football, which if true means that we play a lone striker up top or no striker with a switch in defense and oncoming acm's with fresh wingers when said striker comes off.

In that situation nacho would play better as he attacks the corners more and is better than daka with his back to goal and hence plays more like haaland does in a 4231. In a 433 im assuming we'rein the market for an acm i.e. harrison so that maddison can partner him up top with the wingers as they are. I know the way ive described the formations is quite loose but im hoping you get what i mean. I struggle to see where Daka fits in. I agree that daka needs time but id humbly argue that if he hasnt shifted his ability to impact games by the summer (if he is played that is) then id like to see us hitting the market for decent acm's and retaining nacho (never thought I'd say that) and looking in the market for the next haaland. With vards going I struggle to see what the transition from him to daka/nacho is and how it is being integrated and my gut instinct is telling me that we'll be playing a 433/4231 in the future.

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Weird how you keep jumping on any single post I make about Iheanacho or Daka as if you think I’m crucifying one and thinking the other is gods gift without reading what I wrote. 

My response was to Ric Flair’s post was talking about “young strikers” saying “look how Iheanacho was when he first came and was younger” and that “Daka has been like Pele compared to how Iheanacho was”. I was saying just that Iheanacho was younger than Daka during those times you’re comparing and Nacho was having that brilliant season at Daka’s age so I’m not sure it’s an accurate comparison when people were specifically talking about “young strikers” (when I think Daka is at the very limit at being called a “young striker” as it is) and the age of the players

I’m not 100% sure Iheanacho being at ManCity at a younger age should affect how quickly he develops here, it could well mean he’d be better when he joined but I don’t think it should dramatically affect how they develop as players while both at Leicester. As I said though, there are exceptions, Vardy the most obvious above all, but the reality is, the vast majority of strikers who go on to be quality strikers you’d have expected to have shown more by the age of 24 than Daka has really and most likely should at least have nailed down a starting spot at a mid-table PL club. That is why I’m not fully convinced by all the “he’s quality waiting to happen”

arguments, he could still well be quality and develop later like Vardy did, but I think the history of what you’d expect from most quality strikers is against him really, that’s all I was saying.

It's just you have a habit of criticising the same players and rarely do you praise them when they've had a good game, also it's a forum I can disagree with you, just so happens I disagree with you on Daka's ability. If you actually think you might not get more out of a striker or any player for that matter who's already lived in a country for 3 years (when he signed for us) than one in his second season then that's pretty naive. 

Edited by Tommy Fresh

Perhaps instead of expecting Daka to be the lone striker he never has been, if incorporated into this more attacking formation and approach, he may well succeed. 

Let's be honest, none of our strikers when use in the tippy tappy backwards and sideways snail paced approach have done well, they can't all be that bad. By the time opposition defences have dropped back there's been nowhere for a loan striker to run.

The new acquisitions will take time to settle, you can't reasonably expect 3 new defenders for example, new to the Premiership, to click and gel straight away and Tete has to adapt also. But ... if we maintain the same approach things should come good including Daka, there's a very decent player in there who for me has been woefully misused and had his confidence drained from him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Perhaps instead of expecting Daka to be the lone striker he never has been, if incorporated into this more attacking formation and approach, he may well succeed. 

Let's be honest, none of our strikers when use in the tippy tappy backwards and sideways snail paced approach have done well, they can't all be that bad. By the time opposition defences have dropped back there's been nowhere for a loan striker to run.

The new acquisitions will take time to settle, you can't reasonably expect 3 new defenders for example, new to the Premiership, to click and gel straight away and Tete has to adapt also. But ... if we maintain the same approach things should come good including Daka, there's a very decent player in there who for me has been woefully misused and had his confidence drained from him.

We did the same with Kramaric many years ago.  He left us for a different system and became a very good player. Pity that didn't happen with us. 

• Like 1

Whilst I totally get your point that it would have been lovely to have him banging in goals for us, let’s not forget that the system he failed in won us the league a few months later. 🤷 And it cuts both ways. I’m sure Stoke fans would like to have seen Huth defending their goal as though his life depended on it; ditto Forest fans re Morgan, or Leeds fans re Schmeichel. Sometimes it just doesn’t work out for a player at a club. Sometimes the player can’t adapt. Sometimes the team can’t adapt. It is what it is. 

• Like 1

This new system would suit any goal scoring striker to be quite honest. Daka like iheanacho struggles when isolated. With the extra support, youd imagine it would play to dakas strengths and allow him to just focus on putting the ball in the net. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

This new system would suit any goal scoring striker to be quite honest. Daka like iheanacho struggles when isolated. With the extra support, youd imagine it would play to dakas strengths and allow him to just focus on putting the ball in the net. 

Rodgers seems to go through periods where he starves certain players any minutes even when it seems they'd be ideal for closing stretches of games.

Let's hope Daka gets and takes any brief opportunity he does get in the coming weeks.

• Like 4

On 21/02/2023 at 14:46, TrentFox said:

Whilst I totally get your point that it would have been lovely to have him banging in goals for us, let’s not forget that the system he failed in won us the league a few months later. 🤷 And it cuts both ways. I’m sure Stoke fans would like to have seen Huth defending their goal as though his life depended on it; ditto Forest fans re Morgan, or Leeds fans re Schmeichel. Sometimes it just doesn’t work out for a player at a club. Sometimes the player can’t adapt. Sometimes the team can’t adapt. It is what it is. 

What do those Leeds, Stoke and Forest sides have in common? They were left behind by us.

Good teams find a way to make good players fit. 

The most likely scenario is one of either us not turning out to be a successful team, or Daka not fulfilling his potential. 

It's of course possible that we go on to be successful and Daka flourishes elsewhere, but it's unlikely and the examples you've used are evidence as to why.

14 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

He has been Crapson rather than Patson while at Leicester, but apparently those in the know say he is good - hope they are right because he's looking a monumental dud right now.

I think he plays well when others supporting him play well (like most forwards). He's still young and got plenty of time to come good.

It's Iheanacho's role to lose at the minute, but I'm sure Daka would look better now we could get Maddison closer to him and Tete and Barnes on either side. 

6 hours ago, Pete52 said:

I think he plays well when others supporting him play well (like most forwards). He's still young and got plenty of time to come good.

It's Iheanacho's role to lose at the minute, but I'm sure Daka would look better now we could get Maddison closer to him and Tete and Barnes on either side. 

He can't really Control the ball under the slightest of pressure, I can't really see him receiving the ball to feet and linking up like Kel does in the current system so he is wasted as a line forward. He's better as a goal hanger a la Vardy and could do well as the little man in a little large combination Alongside Kel but that's not the formation we play. He's just hugely ineffective. 

Daka reminds me, ( for those that are old enough to remember ) of Mark Bright when he joined us early in his career similar style, quick and a good finisher but poor in his hold up play and runs. I’d hate to see him leave and bag all those goals that Bright scored with someone else, but history may repeat itself there. Interesting too that Daka is seen as a hero replacement for Vardy, whilst Bright tried to replace the legendary Gary Lineker.

• Like 4

On 19/02/2023 at 12:16, ronnup said:

Vardy needs to retire, we're not going to buy two strikers in the summer. Won't happen. 

When's the last time a youth striker got a sniff? Decades 

I'd have to agree with this on Vardy, he looks miles off it in every sense this season

Daka has already shown last season hes more the capable tbf