Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Evans

Was a great signing and overall a very good centre back for us. Improved Söyüncü no end, and a good reader of the game. Lacked leadership in the captains role last season, and never fit enough to make enough meaningful contributions. If he’s gone, thanks for the good times, but it’s another big wage off the books, and much needed leadership in the form of Coady brought in. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Each to their own. For me the best centre back we've ever had (well, in the 1965-2023 period anyway) & showed it consistently for over two seasons 

It’s one of those “best player” vs “best player for us” for me. Technically he probably is in the top 1 or 2 CBs we’ve had in my time watching Leicester (approximately 1990-2023). But I think Huth, Morgan, Elliott, Taggart and Walsh had more of an impact on me as a fan and on the club as a whole. Though granted Evans did play in our FA Cup final win. I’ll admit maybe I’m being clouded by the last 2 years of Almost constant injury. I also didn’t get the best vibes from him last year during what was clearly a troubled season. I feel he should have done more as captain and a senior player, but maybe I’m being harsh. Also I was a teenager watching Walsh, Taggart and Elliott and I think it’s easier to idolise players when you’re younger. Anyway, I’m rambling haha. He’s certainly one of the most talented CBs the club has ever had and I wish him well. 

• Like 1

If I were an Everton fan i'd be really really worried. 

They've survived by the skin of their teeth for 2 seasons in a row and signing a 35 and 38 year old to improve the defence is not a good start.

I really hope this coming season is the season they are toast. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dames said:

If I were an Everton fan i'd be really really worried. 

They've survived by the skin of their teeth for 2 seasons in a row and signing a 35 and 38 year old to improve the defence is not a good start.

I really hope this coming season is the season they are toast. 

Sadly the league seems weaker this year imo. 

Sheff Utd and Luton are likely to go back down. Meaning just 1 other team will be relegated - likely between Forest, Everton and Bournemouth and Burnley.

Hopefully Everton drop

2 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

Sheff Utd and Luton are likely to go back down. Meaning just 1 other team will be relegated - likely between Forest, Everton and Bournemouth and Burnley.

Hopefully Everton drop

I agree in terms of teams, but at the same time the money being spent by most is ridiculous. The league gets stronger each year 

Edited by UniFox21

21 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

It’s one of those “best player” vs “best player for us” for me. Technically he probably is in the top 1 or 2 CBs we’ve had in my time watching Leicester (approximately 1990-2023). But I think Huth, Morgan, Elliott, Taggart and Walsh had more of an impact on me as a fan and on the club as a whole. Though granted Evans did play in our FA Cup final win. I’ll admit maybe I’m being clouded by the last 2 years of Almost constant injury. I also didn’t get the best vibes from him last year during what was clearly a troubled season. I feel he should have done more as captain and a senior player, but maybe I’m being harsh. Also I was a teenager watching Walsh, Taggart and Elliott and I think it’s easier to idolise players when you’re younger. Anyway, I’m rambling haha. He’s certainly one of the most talented CBs the club has ever had and I wish him well. 

I agree with almost everything you said! Because of his part in the last 2 years, he's not anywhere near my 'most loved' CBs - you've named those! - but I appreciate his ability not just as an individual but to organise an entire defence and on those metrics I haven't seen better.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

I agree with almost everything you said! Because of his part in the last 2 years, he's not anywhere near my 'most loved' CBs - you've named those! - but I appreciate his ability not just as an individual but to organise an entire defence and on those metrics I haven't seen better.

I agree with this and in particular the last bit. As a fellow long term sufferer of plantar fasciitis I know what a difficult position he is in. He has to be one of our best signings for us though. At his best he was a rolls Royce of a defender and made so many others better when playing alongside. I lost count of the amount of times I personally had him as a 7 plus player on scorecards particularly in the his first couple of years with us.  Age and injuries mean that this is reluctantly the right time to part but he deservedly goes with gratitude and best wishes. Good luck Jonny. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Earle said:

Yeah I mean, 100% if he’d have stayed fit last season we wouldn’t have been relegated. He’s a great player. Just a shame his body’s given up a bit.

For me personally, I’d put Huth and Elliott as my top 2 all time. In terms of ability and “likeability”. I still maintain Elliott was one of the best in the league haha. Maybe I’m deluded. 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 2

The main merit for keeping Evans was for his experience and leadership in defence. Now we've got Coady that need is massively minimised (shows how important his signing was to us).

So it becomes a question of whether we'd get 20-25+ games out of Evans this season to make the 1- year extension worthwhile to the club versus the wages Evans would want. Based on his injury record, I'd say we aren't getting that number of games and he's clearly on the fence about signing on anyway.

Safe to say we've had the best out of him and £3.5m for Evans at the time was a steal. If he wants to leave now and we can reinvest that wage elsewhere, then so be it. Coady, Doyle, and Souttar gives us strong options, and if Faes leaves as well as Evans, we can dip into the market again.

Evans is and has been a class above for us, but the last 18 months have shown he can't hack it anymore. It's a shame to see him going, if true, but he'll be lucky to play half a season. 

31 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Yeah I mean, 100% if he’d have stayed fit last season we wouldn’t have been relegated. He’s a great player. Just a shame his body’s given up a bit.

For me personally, I’d put Huth and Elliott as my top 2 all time. In terms of ability and “likeability”. I still maintain Elliott was one of the best in the league haha. Maybe I’m deluded. 

Elliott & Evans is my dream team but I’d have no issue with yours!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxes96 said:

Hopefully Everton drop

Palace ? 

He was a good signing at the time and is now in the history books as a Leicester Cup winner.

The last thing we need now is constant disruption to the playing squad when Enzo settles on his best 11.

If Fit, Evans would surely have made the team but based on his recent seasons efforts it's not worth the risk.

Better to move on and bring in another up and coming talent.

• Like 1

Evans has been indispensable in the past but his powers have diminished so has his ability to stay fit. He is the dictionary definition of being terminally CROCKED!

im done with him. Thank you and good bye