Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

Evans

7 hours ago, Nalis said:

Exactly, probably in the top 5 centre backs to play for us.

And to pre-empt some replies, no, as much as a legend Steve Walsh was for us he was never better than prime Jonny Evans.

He has been very good for us no doubt, especially for the fee paid.

I do disagree about the top 5 and comment about Walsh though. Centre back has been a position we have generally done very well historically so it’s not a slight at Evans.

Given we didn’t have Evans in his prime, I definitely wouldn’t look past Morgan, Huth, Taggart, Elliot and Walsh for a top 5 if looking at quality and contribution to us. 

People will have their own views mind, and maybe there’s someone from before that even (would be before my time so wouldn’t know personally).

• Like 1

Evans was a superb piece of business for us at £3.5m and up to the FA Cup final win he was excellent however the last 2 seasons have seen him drop of the edge of a cliff in terms of injuries and last season as skipper including  his comments after the Liverpool game and then again after relegation was confirmed, means he leaves with a reputation somewhat tarnished and tainted by the contribution of lack of it to our demise back into the championship. 

To be fair similar could be said about the whole squad with the exception of Vards. 

Fucking lol. 

Excellent!

Will he be the finally help get them relegated and get 3 relegations to his name?!

Get him in that leadership group. Unrivaled.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

Maybe City have agreed to stop.£100m lawsuit, provided they take Evans.

Given he’s out of contract, this makes no sense. We have actually be trying to keep him!

I do like the thinking though and Ward and Vesty should definitely be considered for this!

Fair play Evans. What a class signing he turned out to be. For me, will go down as one of our best CB’s. Shame about his injuries last couple of years. Slightly bizarre signing from Everton given the situation but I don’t think we would have gone down if he was fit. Good luck to him. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Cant believe how much disrespect hes getting from some Leicester fans. He was a quality signing for £3.5 million and we got every pennys worth out of it. Age has obviously caught up with him but doesnt deserve the hate from some

That was then 

this is now 😂

• Haha 1

No doubt a fully fit Evans is an asset to any team and he has been brilliant for us, but at the same time it was time for him to move on, I am surprised he’s got another Premier League club, I did think he might be better seeing out his final seasons in The MLS or even here in Australia where there are less games and it’s a bit easier on his body. 
After last season, I can’t see him playing more than 20 games for them this season and whilst he was a great leader on the pitch and organised the defence well, he never struck me as a club captain - I love the way Coady is talking preseason.

Overall, the Evans we have now is not as good as Coady as either a captain or a player. 
Good luck and thanks for the memories.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

He has been very good for us no doubt, especially for the fee paid.

I do disagree about the top 5 and comment about Walsh though. Centre back has been a position we have generally done very well historically so it’s not a slight at Evans.

Given we didn’t have Evans in his prime, I definitely wouldn’t look past Morgan, Huth, Taggart, Elliot and Walsh for a top 5 if looking at quality and contribution to us. 

People will have their own views mind, and maybe there’s someone from before that even (would be before my time so wouldn’t know personally).

Yeah I’d have the same top 5 too in terms of the modernish era. Evans is an amazing player when fit (probably more talented then a few on your list), and he was very good for us in spells but I don’t hold him on quite the same esteem as those you’ve mentioned. 

21 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Yeah I’d have the same top 5 too in terms of the modernish era. Evans is an amazing player when fit (probably more talented then a few on your list), and he was very good for us in spells but I don’t hold him on quite the same esteem as those you’ve mentioned. 

Each to their own. For me the best centre back we've ever had (well, in the 1965-2023 period anyway) & showed it consistently for over two seasons