Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
1 hour ago, HarryTheGenie said:

Thank him for what? Being an abject failure.

You usually get the complementary thanks for your hard work. Don't get uptight with me man. 

Posted
14 minutes ago, CL Fox said:

Not saying Marti was good, just saying Rowett was a lot lot worse!

He wasn’t a lot worse, it’s also 

difficult to turn around a sinking ship than it is to steer a ship out of the docks fully a float. Neither should have been here really, I never wanted Rowett but given our position, it’s all we could get. Rowett failed in his task but a lot of the damage was done, the board dithered. If we had a few more games we may have sneaked it. 

  • Like 1
Posted

He seemed promising but was an abject failure who never got the players onside.

 

Marti proved to be weak in management but it may have been better to stick with him in hindsight.

  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...
Posted

Gary Rowett lifts lid on Leicester City relegation amid Khun Top admission

 

Gary Rowett lifts lid on Leicester City relegation amid Khun Top admission
Story by Josh Holland


Gary Rowett has revealed he found standards had slipped at Leicester City when he took over last season, with the former Foxes boss admitting there were “other reasons” why a squad with so much quality was fighting relegation.

The Foxes finished 23rd in the Championship last term after having six points deducted for breaching PSR rules. Before a ball was kicked, City were tipped to make an instant return to the Premier League under Marti Cifuentes, who was sacked in January.

Rowett was appointed as his replacement in February and lost just four games in charge. However, only one win was recorded before their relegation to the third tier was confirmed at the end of April.


City opted against handing Rowett a new contract and Russell Martin came in over the summer. In League One, the Foxes are sitting 14th after seven games.

 

Rowett has spent the first part of the season doing punditry work with Sky Sports and, this week, appeared on talkSPORT alongside Jim White and Simon Jordan. Speaking as a guest, the former Foxes boss discussed taking the job at the King Power Stadium and what went wrong.


He said: "It’s interesting because a lot of people have said to me, ‘why on earth would you take that job?’ It’s a short term job, there’s no real ambition from my perspective long-term, because it was always to the end of the season.

"I think you get to a stage, I’ve done 600-odd games now, you just take the ones that you fancy. I got offered a Championship job permanently about a week before that I turned down [because] it wasn’t something that really made me desperate to get into management.

"It was one [where] I knew the club and knew a few people at the club, it felt like a good opportunity, short term, to go in and have a crack at it. I knew the challenges, I think you always know the challenges when a team with what perceived to be that much quality in the squad is down there, there’s got to be other reasons that they’re there.


"It’s always the same, you often find [that] culturally, things have slipped and are not quite where you’d want them to be. Different managers have tried different ways of doing it and not quite managed to get success. I found a group of players that tried their best to perform, I think they did perform, but it just lacked certain characteristics when you’re down there."

Rowett also revealed that communication with City owner Aiyawatt 'Top' Srivaddhanaprabha was limited, something that he claims is often the case in today's game. “One thing I found from an ownership perspective is that you didn’t really talk to the owner much," he added.

"I’ve found that a lot recently with a lot of the clubs that I’ve been at. Actually, some of the more enjoyable jobs have been where you’ve actually had some sort of relationship and conversation with the owner and you can understand what it is that they’re trying to achieve.

"Whereas nowadays, you very rarely speak to the owners and sometimes that makes it difficult because messages get mixed.”

Posted
1 hour ago, davieG said:

Rowett also revealed that communication with City owner Aiyawatt 'Top' Srivaddhanaprabha was limited, something that he claims is often the case in today's game. “One thing I found from an ownership perspective is that you didn’t really talk to the owner much," he added.

"I’ve found that a lot recently with a lot of the clubs that I’ve been at. Actually, some of the more enjoyable jobs have been where you’ve actually had some sort of relationship and conversation with the owner and you can understand what it is that they’re trying to achieve.

"Whereas nowadays, you very rarely speak to the owners and sometimes that makes it difficult because messages get mixed.”

This bit is interesting in comparison with how everyone talked about Vichai being often around the changing room and always chatting with the players and staff.

Posted

 

If Rowatt thought this:

 

1 hour ago, davieG said:

It’s always the same, you often find [that] culturally, things have slipped and are not quite where you’d want them to be.

 

It was his blummin job to fix the culture.

 

All I saw was a continuation of Cifuentes' patterns of play, a complete lack of spine and spirit, and him moaning about it, instead of fixing it.

 

I had hopes when he was appointed. 

 

Relegation wasn't all his fault, but he let us down.

  • Like 1
Posted
3 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

 

If Rowatt thought this:

 

 

It was his blummin job to fix the culture.

 

All I saw was a continuation of Cifuentes' patterns of play, a complete lack of spine and spirit, and him moaning about it, instead of fixing it.

 

I had hopes when he was appointed. 

 

Relegation wasn't all his fault, but he let us down.

I largely agree, but also think you can't fix deep-rooted cultural issues in five minutes.

  • Like 1
Posted
14 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

 

If Rowatt thought this:

 

 

It was his blummin job to fix the culture.

 

All I saw was a continuation of Cifuentes' patterns of play, a complete lack of spine and spirit, and him moaning about it, instead of fixing it.

 

I had hopes when he was appointed. 

 

Relegation wasn't all his fault, but he let us down.

You've got to give someone a long term contract if you want them to fix the culture.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

 

I agree with your suggestion that he wasn't here that long.

 

But there are things he could have done, even in his short tenure, but didn't.

 

He could have selected based on attitude, effort and performance. He didn't.

 

He could have rooted out and excluded the troublemakers and culture spoilers.  Nope.

 

His reaction to the poor culture was to moan in public about it rather than roll up his sleeves.

 

I think he bears some of the blame.

And then he decided he'd rather go on holiday to the Algarve during the March international break rather than do any work on the training pitch

  • Like 1
Posted

What’s bizarre is he didn’t try his tried and trusted, hard to beat pragmatic lower half championship fare. Just continuity RVN-Cifuentes football which smacks of strong interference rather than a stay up at all costs approach.

 

If he was a better coach (not necessarily manager) he’d have coached us into a few more wins vs QPR H and Wednesday A.

 

He was shit but I dunno, we’ve just seen this play out too many times before to put too much at his door.

  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

His mid-season break, the interviews during, the team selections, and the interviews after, all tell you the same thing. 

 

He could never be arsed (probably why he didn't take the permanent job he had been offered a week prior), saw it as a quick buck, and probably thought with the squad we'd survive even without much thought or effort, so could do his reputation some good in the process. 

 

While it's true our list of issues is longer than a Russel Martin list of excuses, I'm convinced that anyone with half a brain and the desire to make it work could have kept us up last season. 

 

You don't pick Winks, for a start. 

 

I know our options up top were a joke, but it's some utter, utter muck that stayed up ahead of us. 1 win for fvck sake. Blackburn doesn't count.

Edited by Nods
  • Like 3
Posted

Gutted that he seemed to treat a job that any of us would see as the greatest honour as some kind of busman's holiday. Smacks of entitlement. No wonder that it all fell apart with such aplomb. I used to have so much respect for him but having seen the nonchalance with which he treated relegating us I will never see him the same way again. 

Posted
2 hours ago, bovril said:

English managers get such an easy ride from the media. Half of them now seem to just spend their time on podcasts explaining why nothing is their fault. 

"When Jake Humphrey and Steven Bartlett ring you don't turn them down".

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...