Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Some films watched recently:

Worth (Netflix) - Michael Keaton, Stanley Tucci, Amy Ryan

About the legal team tasked with working out how much compensation 9/11 victim's families were due. Decent film, compelling story. But I think ultimately it tried to be Spotlight (especially by casting Keaton and Tucci) but didn't quite achieve the same heights.

Heart of Glass (Netflix) - Gal Gadot, Jamie Dornan, Sophie Okenedo

About an MI5 agent who's also a secret double agent working for a secret organisation that is something to do with AI or whatever. ****ing dreadful. Absolutely hated it. Nothing interesting to say that hadn't already been said, just nauseating "content" for Netflix to add to their portfolio in lieu of any actual quality. Actors literally phoning in their performances, CGI car chases, CGI parachute chases, CGI ski chases, CGI finale bollocks. **** off.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day - 90s Season at the Phoenix

Still an incredible action film, and even though it's 30 years old it still has better effects than Heart of ****ing Stone. James Cameron is truly a master of his craft.

It's amazing that they never made another sequel given how good this one was.

Trainspotting - 90s season at the Phoenix

Danny Boyle's seminal work. Phenomenal on the big screen (well, Screen 2 in the phoenix, which isn't really that big sadly). Just ****ing iconic.

T2 Trainspotting - BluRay I'd forgotten I had upstairs

Forget how good this is in its own right. There's just something about Danny Boyle's directing style, the way he marries the image and music, that I've always loved. While I loved No Time To Die I am gutted that we never got to see a Danny Boyle Bond film. T2 was a brilliant natural extension of the story and served the characters really well I felt. brilliant soundtrack as usual.

Pulp Fiction - 90s season at the Phoenix

Perfection. Hit me last night just how long it's been since I'd seen it PROPERLY. Too often you'd catch it on TV where it's been edited or censored. Tarantino really has been getting a bad shtick by hack journalists over the years about violence. It's such a good satire of the very thing they're accusing him off, it's almost Pythonesque. 

Sidenote: the introduction of Butch as played by Bruce Willis just reminded me of what a stunning actor he was at the very peak of his career. Dude had ****ing presence on the big screen. Such a shame about his diagnosis. Sorely missed icon. There's been rumours that Tarantino is trying to get Willis to make one final film appearance in his own last film The Movie Critic, which would be beautiful if they could pull it off.

Fantastic season at the Phoenix which has been extended to September. The only shame though is that it was digitally projected. After seeing Oppenheimer there in 35mm I think I've fallen back in love with the format and would have preferred to watch the above as they were filmed.

• Like 3

On 31/08/2023 at 17:31, urban.spaceman said:

Some films watched recently:

Worth (Netflix) - Michael Keaton, Stanley Tucci, Amy Ryan

About the legal team tasked with working out how much compensation 9/11 victim's families were due. Decent film, compelling story. But I think ultimately it tried to be Spotlight (especially by casting Keaton and Tucci) but didn't quite achieve the same heights.

Heart of Glass (Netflix) - Gal Gadot, Jamie Dornan, Sophie Okenedo

About an MI5 agent who's also a secret double agent working for a secret organisation that is something to do with AI or whatever. ****ing dreadful. Absolutely hated it. Nothing interesting to say that hadn't already been said, just nauseating "content" for Netflix to add to their portfolio in lieu of any actual quality. Actors literally phoning in their performances, CGI car chases, CGI parachute chases, CGI ski chases, CGI finale bollocks. **** off.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day - 90s Season at the Phoenix

Still an incredible action film, and even though it's 30 years old it still has better effects than Heart of ****ing Stone. James Cameron is truly a master of his craft.

It's amazing that they never made another sequel given how good this one was.

Trainspotting - 90s season at the Phoenix

Danny Boyle's seminal work. Phenomenal on the big screen (well, Screen 2 in the phoenix, which isn't really that big sadly). Just ****ing iconic.

T2 Trainspotting - BluRay I'd forgotten I had upstairs

Forget how good this is in its own right. There's just something about Danny Boyle's directing style, the way he marries the image and music, that I've always loved. While I loved No Time To Die I am gutted that we never got to see a Danny Boyle Bond film. T2 was a brilliant natural extension of the story and served the characters really well I felt. brilliant soundtrack as usual.

Pulp Fiction - 90s season at the Phoenix

Perfection. Hit me last night just how long it's been since I'd seen it PROPERLY. Too often you'd catch it on TV where it's been edited or censored. Tarantino really has been getting a bad shtick by hack journalists over the years about violence. It's such a good satire of the very thing they're accusing him off, it's almost Pythonesque. 

Sidenote: the introduction of Butch as played by Bruce Willis just reminded me of what a stunning actor he was at the very peak of his career. Dude had ****ing presence on the big screen. Such a shame about his diagnosis. Sorely missed icon. There's been rumours that Tarantino is trying to get Willis to make one final film appearance in his own last film The Movie Critic, which would be beautiful if they could pull it off.

Fantastic season at the Phoenix which has been extended to September. The only shame though is that it was digitally projected. After seeing Oppenheimer there in 35mm I think I've fallen back in love with the format and would have preferred to watch the above as they were filmed.

There was a sequel to Terminator 2 although?   It was about grown up John Connor.   Unless if you meant a direct continuitation instead of the time jump.

On 01/09/2023 at 08:46, Raj said:

I put this on the Netflix thread yesterday:-

Just watched Bull as recommend  by a few.

It's a brilliant film abit like Dead man's shoes.

Have you ever watched Kill List? Neil Maskell from Bull is in it, violence wise it's fairly similar, slightly different tone to the film though but you might enjoy it.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed the new Indiana Jones film last night. A few small tweaks and I think it would have been better, his goddaughter was unnecessarily annoying and gobby... she needed to thaw out a lot quicker and a bit more back story about why she was so miserable would have been of use. Then the TukTuk chase sequence lacked any jeopardy and just went on far too long, it was boring!

• Like 1

Are there ever any good films made my Netflix, cringeworthy dialogue, horrible CGI in that new Heart of Stone or whatever it’s called. Most of the new series or films have been awful as well. If I’m paying £10 a month I don’t need every new film to be Korean, thanks 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Really enjoyed the new Indiana Jones film last night. A few small tweaks and I think it would have been better, his goddaughter was unnecessarily annoying and gobby... she needed to thaw out a lot quicker and a bit more back story about why she was so miserable would have been of use. Then the TukTuk chase sequence lacked any jeopardy and just went on far too long, it was boring!

Agree with you here, it wasn’t as bad as I expected and with a little bit of refinement it could have been far better. Some bits just felt so rushed, and yet others laboured on and on and on. Some of the effects were great, I think it’s one of the best uses of de aged CGI, the first 15 minutes felt and looked like the original trilogy. 

Edited by One Arm Babba
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, One Arm Babba said:

Agree with you here, it wasn’t as bad as I expected and with a little bit of refinement it could have been far better. Some bits just felt so rushed, and yet others laboured on and on and on. Some of the effects were great, I think it’s one of the best uses of de aged CGI, the first 15 minutes felt and looked like the original trilogy. 

I have to disagree about the CGI, I had to turn it off. The amount of CGI used was excessive and was to a poor standard, was more like watching a computer game at times. 

Just awful. 

29 minutes ago, browniefox said:

I have to disagree about the CGI, I had to turn it off. The amount of CGI used was excessive and was to a poor standard, was more like watching a computer game at times. 

Just awful. 

The face stuff I didn't mind, some of the other stuff was awful. When you're used to practical effects in the originals, seeing a little CGI stick man jump across a train really annoys. Not all of it was like that, in fact the vast majority wasn't like it. The bad bits really stood out. 

Felt like the studio wanted "more action" and it was tagged on at the end. The action sequences seemed so overly long. 

3 hours ago, marbles said:

Talk To Me

Australian horror movie about teens who use a severed hand to contact spirits.

Creepy and entertaining, but too disgusting for me to watch again.

I am looking forward to watching this

Written and directed by a couple of guys who were pretty big on YouTube with a channel called Racka Racka

I recommend "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry"

Jim Broadbent as Harold Fry, an elderly man who is determined to keep his promise to a friend and colleague after she falls ill.

As the title suggests, it's unlikely, but it's a true story

On 07/09/2023 at 16:17, spacemunky said:

I always tell people this and they have no idea what I'm talking about lol

I found his low key portrayal of Hannibal so much more dark and chilling than Anthony Hopkins version.

Agree. His version is much more like Lector in the books.

• Like 1

On 15/09/2023 at 04:38, marbles said:

Talk To Me

Australian horror movie about teens who use a severed hand to contact spirits.

Creepy and entertaining, but too disgusting for me to watch again.

On 15/09/2023 at 08:19, moore_94 said:

I am looking forward to watching this

Written and directed by a couple of guys who were pretty big on YouTube with a channel called Racka Racka

Watched this last night & it's the best horror since Hereditary imo.