Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Watched napoleon last night.. erm what can i say it was interesting... not quite up to the usual epicnass of ridley scott i dont think. Usually i leave his movies with a good feel good factor but this not so much. Maybe more of personal thing as im not exactly emthurualed by french history. 2.5 out of 5. Joaquin good as always though.

The movie waterloo from the 1960s is better.

Edited by Leicesterpool

16 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Watched napoleon last night.. erm what can i say it was interesting... not quite up to the usual epicnass of ridley scott i dont think. Usually i leave his movies with a good feel good factor but this not so much. Maybe more of personal thing as im not exactly emthurualed by french history. 2.5 out of 5. Joaquin good as always though.

The movie waterloo from the 1960s is better.

I'd push for 3/5, I don't think you can make a film of quality with so much content. His life was so eventful. I thought the storyline was OK,music was good as were the battle scenes. But I left wanting more out the film and a little disappointed. 

Watched Parasite on Netflix yesterday, thought it was pretty good.

Pacing was good, plot was really interesting, good acting and well shot.

Always a bit funny watching something that there is a very strong opinion on though as expectations try as you might are bound to affect your perception somewhat.

Watched a film called the Card Counter with Oscar Isaac and Tiffany Haddish last week and would definitely not recommend that. It was shot interestingly but it was painfully slow in general. The key relationships between the 3 main characters were formed very suddenly in complete contrast to how things moved and it just felt poorly done to me.

Edited by ajthefox
  • Like 1

On 26/11/2023 at 06:36, FOXYTALK said:

I'd push for 3/5, I don't think you can make a film of quality with so much content. His life was so eventful. I thought the storyline was OK,music was good as were the battle scenes. But I left wanting more out the film and a little disappointed. 

Tempted to go and see it though trailers and reviews have tempered my initial enthusiasm. For any looking at back catalogue The Duellists is still amazing

Finally have the fourth Evangelion rebuild movie on disc, so that set is now complete and sits alongside the series and End of movie.

The decisive battle version for this movie is certainly different and of the course the ending  where Shinji resets everything with no more Eva's etc.,  really has a this is now done feel to it.

Asuka never gets an easy death does she....

Edited by ithuriel
  • Like 1

This is INCREDIBLE... seriously, watch it. (free on you tube)

COMMAND AND CONTROL...
is a minute-by-minute account of this long-hidden story.
Putting a camera where there was no camera that night, Kenner brings this nonfiction thriller to life 

https://weta.org/watch/shows/american-experience/command-and-control-full-film

23 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Leave the world behind. 

2.5 hours I’ll never get back of my life, what a waste of time. 

Thought it was fairly decent, but it was crying out for a M. Night Shyamalan twist ending which never came. It did a great job of building a sense of foreboding but eventually went nowhere with it. 

Not really sure what the creepy animals stuff was about - it never seemed to address it. 

Thought Roberts, Ali and Hawke were all excellent mind.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 10:24, RoboFox said:

Thought it was fairly decent, but it was crying out for a M. Night Shyamalan twist ending which never came. It did a great job of building a sense of foreboding but eventually went nowhere with it. 

Not really sure what the creepy animals stuff was about - it never seemed to address it. 

Thought Roberts, Ali and Hawke were all excellent mind.

IMO I thought not much really happened and seemed they had no idea where to take the story, so ending was poor. 

Animals was just a random insert but no real point. 

I absolutely loved Leave The World Behind.

I thought the directing was brilliant - everything from the shot composition, blocking, angles and camera movement, the lighting - all of it was absolutely excellent. As an aspiring screenwriter I could really appreciate that unlike many of Netflix's other originals, this was clearly made by someone who really cared about their craft; the making of every single shot was like a work of art in itself and deserved to have been seen in the cinema rather than simply Netflix. It was very tense and gripping. I loved it.

Until that ending. Where the director shat on absolutely everything he'd achieved until then. Absolutely ****ing awful.

**** this film.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1