Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Smokers in bus queues (well, any queue really). We don't all want to breathe in your fumes, thanks. Can you not wait until there is some space to do it and it won't disturb others or is it absolutely necessary to smoke in a confined space?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Corky said:

Smokers in bus queues (well, any queue really). We don't all want to breathe in your fumes, thanks. Can you not wait until there is some space to do it and it won't disturb others or is it absolutely necessary to smoke in a confined space?

No.

• Like 1

On 09/04/2019 at 11:45, RonnieTodger said:

Lazy clickbait headlines. 

I get that news sites essentially give away free articles now, rather than just selling papers but the shit ones like "Villa fans will LOVE what Jack Grealish said" or the worst is like "Jurgen Klopp gives great five word answer". Pathetic. 

I used to do a bit of writing for GiveMeSport and it's absolute cringe. "Five word answer" = I've got absolutely no idea how to make this interesting.

Whst sort of standard of writer is there on GiveMeSport? Is it journalist / professional blogger / amateur enthusiast or a bit of a mix?

I only ask as I've seen a fellow Norn Irishman who was a self proclaimed 'journalist' on GiveMeSport who always gave it the big one on social media, loved slating the premier league mainly because it was the hipster thing to do.

20 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Whst sort of standard of writer is there on GiveMeSport? Is it journalist / professional blogger / amateur enthusiast or a bit of a mix?

I only ask as I've seen a fellow Norn Irishman who was a self proclaimed 'journalist' on GiveMeSport who always gave it the big one on social media, loved slating the premier league mainly because it was the hipster thing to do.

I don’t know for certain, but I’d imagine it’s unpaid anmature stuff, students looking for work experience etc. 

I used to write for Shoot Magazine online back when I was a student, I was studying journalism at the time, and I just emailed the contact email address and they got back to me and said yeah you can do all the FA Cup previews for us for the season. The 3rd round took me about a week to do there was so many ****ing games lol. That gives you a bit of an idea of the barriers to entry, or lack of. I had pretty much zero experience at that point. 

Ron will be able to give you a better idea though I’d imagine. 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

Manini is pretty much spot on.

I was trying to get into writing a bit (posted a couple of blog posts on here), so I tried there. It’s unpaid initially and it sounds like you have to do a shit ton of pieces before you get a penny. Usually at the bottom of an article it will name the person who wrote it, along with their article. 

To get given a chace, you have to submit an article yourself and they’ll get someone to check it, basically deciding if you’re decent enough. I did about ten before I decided that it wasn’t worth my time. A lot of it was very Ladbible. 

Each article is overseen by a senior editor and some of the more experienced guys would write on football. I was being given a lot of Boxing, Tennis and F1. 

If the Northern Irish chap is a “junior contributor”, he’s not getting paid for it lol  

Edited by RonnieTodger

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

That last line is the massive nail on the head there.

Freedom of speech gives you the right to say anything; it doesn't free you of the consequences of your words, whether that's spoken word or on social media.

The freedom to take the consequences is the one upon which all the others are based.

On 10/04/2019 at 17:44, Corky said:

A packet of fags is about a tenner a time and you're getting all that passive smoke for free.

You're welcome.

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

The amount of grown men on here with an unhealthy obsession with wishing Riyad Mahrez ill. Makes the place ****ing unreadable. Jesus grow up. 

I wouldn't mind but I guarantee he's enjoying playing for Man City and is committed to working hard and learning from Pep. It's just a tabloid hatchet job from a hateful rag. 

The Drinkwater obsession is probably even worse given he caused less fuss on the way out. The guy tried to better himself, alright it backfired but so what? He earned the right. 

Bunch of fat old men on the internet who've done **** all with their lives laughing every time he doesn't even get on the bench because he had the sheer nerve to leave Leicester. Get over it you weirdos. 

It's the same old gaggle of idiots that find things like "Bottleham Hotspuds" or "Manure" or "Arse-nal" or "Nottingham Florists" or "Direby County" or whatever the **** else the height of comedy.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

It's the same old gaggle of idiots that find things like "Bottleham Hotspuds" or "Manure" or "Arse-nal" or "Nottingham Florists" or "Direby County" or whatever the **** else the height of comedy.

Wolvesalona

14 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The amount of grown men on here with an unhealthy obsession with wishing Riyad Mahrez ill. Makes the place ****ing unreadable. Jesus grow up. 

I wouldn't mind but I guarantee he's enjoying playing for Man City and is committed to working hard and learning from Pep. It's just a tabloid hatchet job from a hateful rag. 

The Drinkwater obsession is probably even worse given he caused less fuss on the way out. The guy tried to better himself, alright it backfired but so what? He earned the right. 

Bunch of fat old men on the internet who've done **** all with their lives laughing every time he doesn't even get on the bench because he had the sheer nerve to leave Leicester. Get over it you weirdos. 

Just hold on a minute !!! ...   just you hold on !!!!!!

I'm not fat !!!!! ...   slightly overweight maybe ...    

19 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

You forgot Loserpool

36 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I love the posts along the lines of "I'm glad he left, I was sick of the Algerians on social media", as if it's impossible to log out of facebook. 

Drinkwater comes across as a bit of a thick twat to be honest, I don't wish ill on him but I have limited sympathy. He made a stupid decision that possibly cost him a chance of playing in a World Cup. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bovril said:

I love the posts along the lines of "I'm glad he left, I was sick of the Algerians on social media", as if it's impossible to log out of facebook. 

Drinkwater comes across as a bit of a thick twat to be honest, I don't wish ill on him but I have limited sympathy. He made a stupid decision that possibly cost him a chance of playing in a World Cup. 

We would now have a potential England spine with him Vardy and Harry .....   if Kasper could have found an English great Aunt he could have played for us too !! ...   :)     

In fact with Barnes, Maddison and Chillers we could have been half the England team in a couple of years ...   

Edited by Countryfox

49 minutes ago, bovril said:

Yeah but if we turned our backs on all the players that were thick twats you'd probably just have a squad of Kasper, Kingy, Fuchs and Matty James tbf. 

Edited by Finnegan

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Completely agree with your point - but what's with the vitriolic assault on "fat old men who've done **** all with their lives"?

I bet some of the culprits are skinny young people who will do **** all with their lives.

Perfectly-formed high achievers like yourself who enjoy the gift of eternal youth should find it in their hearts to sympathise with the weirdos. 

• Like 2