Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

4 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Yup-  it just bothers me that enforcement agencies has the resources to track my address down yet TFL does not.   If only TFL established a partnership with DLVA to access V5 and driving licence records then they could have tracked down my address to save all of this aggro.   Yet,  they just pass the fine on to enforcement agencies especially the one with terrible reputation.  

I paid the dvla directly but the debt collectors rang afterwards demanding the money. When I told them I'd paid he was a bit rude and demanded a lot of proof. I felt like telling him to eff off but I suppose they do deal with a lot of liars and time wasters. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

People wearing flip flops in the street.

Although I have to say being the only person still wearing trousers and l/s shirts I was a little jealous...and wondering why I don't own any shorts or anything short sleeved.:D

Flip flops annoy me too. 

I know a couple of lads that wear "sliders" and I can always wind them up by calling them flip flops. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

People wearing flip flops in the street.

Although I have to say being the only person still wearing trousers and l/s shirts I was a little jealous...and wondering why I don't own any shorts or anything short sleeved.:D

Unless I’m going to work, between October and March I wear nothing else. Not sure if it’s worse or not, but during those months I rarely have anything on my feet, unless I’m going somewhere you have to wear footwear.

51 minutes ago, Livid said:

My Cousin sharing more right wing anti Muslim/immigrant/non WASP crap on Facebook and not being able to say anything because it’s family and it’s just not very British.  

You can unfollow a person so you stop seeing their posts without the need to unfriend them. I've done the same with folks who post intolerable stuff but who are still of some importance to me. 

11 minutes ago, Benguin said:

You can unfollow a person so you stop seeing their posts without the need to unfriend them. I've done the same with folks who post intolerable stuff but who are still of some importance to me. 

Oh I know but it’s just the fact it’s family and I would like to think we were raised better than to believe some of the bile they share. 

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

That's true.:D  I do own a belt though.

I’m sure you once posted that you didn’t see the point in belts and didn’t own one lol 

I envisage you dressing like a teddy boy for some reason 

1 hour ago, boots60 said:

Older people wearing a baseball cap

Younger people wearing a flat cap

Can I wear flat cap over a baseball cap 'cos I'm kinda between the two parameters?

Promise I won't wear either with the peak facing backwards. :whistle:

Edited by Parafox
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

I’m sure you once posted that you didn’t see the point in belts and didn’t own one lol 

I envisage you dressing like a teddy boy for some reason 

Nah that wasn't me I have loads of belts.  Maybe it was to do with wearing belts with suits....I used to be against it...maybe I mentioned that?.  I'm a little more easy going when it comes to suits and belts....:)

Teddy boy:D  My dad was one of them...maybe he's got some old jackets lying around.

Edited by purpleronnie
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Livid said:

My Cousin sharing more right wing anti Muslim/immigrant/non WASP crap on Facebook and not being able to say anything because it’s family and it’s just not very British.  

I have cousins who do this. If you Google their claims, you'll often find that "Fact Check" sites have investigated and fully or partially disproved such viral crap - so simply posting a link to the relevant "fact check" can be a good response.

It's quick and challenges their thinking while remaining polite and non-confrontational, avoiding possible family tensions.

Of course, some might take no notice or seek to argue regardless, but a lot of people posting this crap are just (a) venting/hating because they're frustrated with their own lives; or (b) unthinkingly sharing stuff others have shared with them to fit in.

Thinking about it......all of my 3 cousins that I can remember doing this have either ceased or reduced the frequency of this (or maybe they just send it to everyone except me - which is fine by me!).

19 hours ago, Livid said:

I'm in the opposite situation, maybe because I work in the nhs. I dont look at it much, but if I do my fb is awash with a lot of left wing & anti-brexit posts, and I feel like I wouldn't be able to say anything against any of them without it damaging my image at work. I feel like a lot of them are just looking for a fight too, hoping someone gets annoyed by their posts celebrating taking in every last person who arrives in Kent in a dingy.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 2

On 08/08/2020 at 18:39, Kopfkino said:

Artificial grass. Anyone that sticks it in their garden needs to face a firing squad

I can understand it in a small patch, or somewhere that doesn't get enough sun to sustain grass, in which case it is effectively replacing paving of some sort.  To replace a whole decent sized lawn though is a terrible thing for the environment.  Quite a few where I live as the clay soil is tough to sustain a decent lawn on.

4 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

I'm in the opposite situation, maybe because I work in the nhs. I dont look at it much, but if I do my fb is awash with a lot of left wing & anti-brexit posts, and I feel like I wouldn't be able to say anything against any of them without it damaging my image at work. I feel like a lot of them are just looking for a fight too, hoping someone gets annoyed by their posts celebrating taking in every last person who arrives in Kent in a dingy.

I was reading a lady on Reddit who was struggling with her sister, who had been sharing conspiracy theories, and was extremely vocal about it in person, too.

At the end of the day, a lot of these people want air. I guess for some the "reaction" button is enough, for some they want the comments of validation. You're 100% right to point out this happens on both ends of the spectrum. In fact it transcends politics. I imagine there are factions of football support etc. which are exactly the same.

Whatever little online army you're in or swing, extreme left or right, it's likely you have built yourself quite the echo chamber. It's the best of both worlds. Not only do you constantly have people agreeing with your posts, validating you, making you feel good, they also provide you with an endless stream of content you can nod your head to, agree with, re-share. Thus the perpetual cycle continues.

It also works when someone counteracts those claims. If you go in with your alternative opinion, not only will they come back with something but their whole legion of chamber dwellers will chime in too, shout you down and tell you why you're wrong.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

I can relate to this, too. Despite being left of centre and having voted Remain, I've ended up challenging as many knee-jerk Corbynistas / Remainers as I have right-wingers or Brexiteers - though mainly acquaintances, not cousins.

Incidentally, it's interesting that a lot of ardent Corbynista types are also ardent Remainers.....considering that Corbyn has been a lifelong Eurosceptic....they don't like to hear that inconvenient fact. :D

The most recent instance was over the Long-Bailey sacking: lots of bleating about conspiracies against "the Left"......er, she loudly approved an article including a ridiculous, clearly false, blatantly anti-Semitic conspiracy theory, then refused to delete it!

I do think a lot of this crap is explained by personal psychology. On the Left/Remain side, it's a lot about feeling good about yourself - that you're "one of the good guys", pat yourself and your fellow-thinking mates on the back! :rolleyes:

Throw in a bit of mental idleness (not even wondering whether info shared with you is true or not), a desire to fit in with "your group" and/or personal bitterness at your own life (more applicable to the Right, this one)......and you get a viral tsunami of false and irritating shite cascading around the world, misinforming the gullible....

• Like 4