Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

On 07/03/2021 at 16:57, Unabomber said:

I just don’t get it. The vendetta against her is really nasty and that bellend Piers seems to slagging her off on national tv. What if it is really affecting her mentally etc. All these pricks preaching about being kind and then doing this. 

Vendetta?

Ask yourself who it is that is on the attack here and in a calculated and vicious way.  They could have the quiet life that they supposedly crave... if they wanted to.

• Like 1

Just now, murphy said:

Vendetta?

Ask yourself who it is that is on the attack here and in a calculated and vicious way.  They could have the quiet life that they supposedly crave... if they wanted to.

The media have had it in for her since day one. She was constantly being slagged off etc and negatively compared to Kate. 

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

Vendetta?

The media. 100%.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

The media have had it in for her since day one. She was constantly being slagged off etc and negatively compared to Kate. 

That's not true.  In the beginning the media loved Meghan.  Things started to change with recurring reports of her behaviour to her own father and especially to her staff which are being investigated to this day.

The interview highlighted an article that showed kate cradling her 'baby bump' and was positive and perhaps even fawning.  Another article was written about Meghan doing the same thing and the tone was completely different and negative.  This was offered as evidence of the different treatment both women received but unless the two articles were written by the same person the comparison is meaningless.  it is just two different journalist's opinions.

Since the interview I have been surprised by the sympathy that the Sussexes have received in the media for something that appeared to me to be a wholly unnecessary and spiteful hatchet job.

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Exactly unless he was being ironic? 

lol  I love it when people are genuinely confused when somebody holds a different opinion to their own.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

are you the only one that can be right then?

I think you might have missed the point. 

I am well aware that other different people hold different views.  Some others can't understand it apparently.  ie "they must be being ironic" for instance.  They couldn't possibly hold a different view to mine...etc.

4 hours ago, CollinsLCFC said:

Partner & I are looking at learning a second language. 

There are so many apps to chose from, does anybody have any recommendations of best one to chose? At the moment, it looks like Babbel and Rosetta Stone are front runners.

4 hours ago, Buce said:

I've used Duolingo to learn a smattering of a few languages.

You won't acheive fluency but it would enable you to function in a place where that language is spoken (and it's free).

I've been using Duolingo for almost a year learning Spanish.

Learnt loads of words but struggle with making sentences and can't understand much when people speak the language.

But for what I need in future on holiday it will make a big, helpful difference.

Because of the world we now live in, faux outrage, virtue signalling, ‘cancel culture’ etc 

Is it now deemed inappropriate to ask a member of the opposite sex/same sex for their number in a place of work, or let’s say in public? Yes I’m aware of the individual semantics involved. 

Basically been watching SJW videos’ all week, and at this point I’m desperate to know what society will be like in 50 or so years, at this rate I dare look at anyone in the street for fear of being on BBC Breakfast or Jerry Springer 

27 minutes ago, Bamboo said:

Because of the world we now live in, faux outrage, virtue signalling, ‘cancel culture’ etc 

Is it now deemed inappropriate to ask a member of the opposite sex/same sex for their number in a place of work, or let’s say in public? Yes I’m aware of the individual semantics involved. 

Basically been watching SJW videos’ all week, and at this point I’m desperate to know what society will be like in 50 or so years, at this rate I dare look at anyone in the street for fear of being on BBC Breakfast or Jerry Springer 

Gonna try to answer this question seriously and as non-flippantly as possible.

No, and I don't see much of a valid reason to suspect otherwise seeing as merely asking for a phone number with nothing else going on (bolded for emphasis) rarely if at all leads to the kind of consequences that some blokes seem to be so deathly afraid of.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Learnt loads of words but struggle with making sentences and can't understand much when people speak the language.

But for what I need in future on holiday it will make a big, helpful difference.

I perhaps should have mentioned that the Duolingo Spanish course is in Latin American Spanish, not Castillian Spanish, which may be why you are having difficulty; they are interchangable in the field, so to speak, but there are sufficient differences to make it difficult for a new learner.

Anyway, as you say, just being functional in a language enhances the entire travel experience.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CollinsLCFC said:

Partner & I are looking at learning a second language. 

There are so many apps to chose from, does anybody have any recommendations of best one to chose? At the moment, it looks like Babbel and Rosetta Stone are front runners.

12 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I don't know if either of you do Facebook, but there are various languaage exchange groups on there, where you partner with a native speaker wanting to learn/improve their English.

I believe there are Duolingo groups on there too.

2 hours ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Sick of obsessively reading about covid and going on boring walks.
I’m thinking of buying some rollerblades to get a hint of excitement/adrenaline back in my life.

Anyone else rollerblade during lockdown, any tips on what brand to buy for outdoor road/pavement surface?

Yeah, I’ve been going to my local country park as part of my lockdown exercise regime 

19CAF136-C6F0-444B-93BB-D14BE7BAA98F.jpeg.8bd554a8db74dcc928398bd0015c2fe1.jpeg

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Do other countries have Easter eggs and hot cross buns? 

I've Googled it and there seems to be not many. Some have hot cross buns a a symbol of Christianity following the crucifixion. The eggs seem to be a symbol of Paganism representing the re-birth of the seasons i.e. spring.

My dad, who was Romanian, would hard boil eggs and then paint  or dye the shells in different colours or scenes. My brothers and I then had to roll them against each other to try to be the first to crack the others shell. Apparently that was Romanian/Hungarian tradition.

• Like 1

What is the most effective way of cleaning the grease and smears on the car windshield-  the type that when the sun is shining at your car then it just lights up all of these smears like it is Christmas.

I have tried window cleaner and taking the car to automatic car wash which helped a bit but was not wholly effective.   Would a manual jet wash or manual hand wash at one of these car valeting firms be better?    I cannot be bothered to wash the car myself and it would aggravate my back anyway lol 

Edited by The Blur

18 minutes ago, The Blur said:

What is the most effective way of cleaning the grease and smears on the car windshield-  the type that when the sun is shining at your car then it just lights up all of these smears like it is Christmas.

I have tried window cleaner and taking the car to automatic car wash which helped a bit but was not wholly effective.   Would a manual jet wash or manual hand wash at one of these car valeting firms be better?    I cannot be bothered to wash the car myself and it would aggravate my back anyway lol 

Try methylated spirit. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

Don't take your car to the local scratch and swirl whatever you do!

If you take it to a car valeting firm they'll probably do one of two things to sort the windshield that you can easily do yourself:

1. Clean it with decent car shampoo and 0000 ultra fine wire wool

2. Use a clay bar to remove the grease and contamination

Then regularly use some decent glass cleaner like this and you'll keep on top of it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00S8B7Q28/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Izzy
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Don't take your car to the local scratch and swirl whatever you do!

If you take it to a car valeting firm they'll probably do one of two things to sort the windshield that you can easily do yourself:

1. Clean it with decent car shampoo and 0000 ultra fine wire wool

2. Use a clay bar to remove the grease and contamination

Then regularly use some decent glass cleaner like this and you'll keep on top of it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00S8B7Q28/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am surprised that you did not signpost me to Strokes!

Thanks for the tip-  I do not think I would keep up with the maintenance with the cleaning myself but was considering going to a valeting firm for wholesale clean anyway.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Blur said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-GardX-Vehicle-Protection-System-with-Nanotechnology-/293963398441?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Buy that. 

The glass guard in there will make rain bead up and disperse and keep your windscreen really clear.

Also good to use in the shower if it's glass.

That exact kit is the paint protection system that dealers will sell you for £449.

There's no special technique of applying it. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, The Blur said:

I am surprised that you did not signpost me to Strokes!

Thanks for the tip-  I do not think I would keep up with the maintenance with the cleaning myself but was considering going to a valeting firm for wholesale clean anyway.  

Yes indeed, Strokes is now the go to person for most things  (except what drill bit to use ..  where the boy is clueless as, I think it was Tom, unfortunately found out) .. and it wouldn’t surprise me if he now wears a tight fitting lycra top with a big S emblazoned in the middle ...     but ...    when it comes to car cleaning,  Muzzett is your  man ! ....    obviously as a lad he didn’t have many friends due to that copper red mop on top of his bonce so spent many an hour in his bedroom reading Car cleaning books ..   :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2