Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

It's written in the stars now that we finish fourth and we lose a champions league spot :ph34r:

Good chance there's a 0% chance of that happening considering the 16/17 CL spots are based on the 2015 coefficients (Where England finished 2nd, so therefore will have 4 spots guaranteed).

Edited by Andy King Power

We'll win at least one of those - they'll all be playing to win at home and that'll give us a great chance to hit them on the break. Wouldn't be that surprised if we won half of those (and took a few batterings)

We've also got Villa, Watford, Palace, Sunderland

We are better away than at home

I'd like to think we'd pick up a few points from these games but I won't be disappointed if we fail to pick up a win against any of them. I would hope we'd pick up at least 6 points from those games.

If we finish 3rd above Spurs and UEFA cut one champions league spot from the Premier League I will give all the money I own to see Harry Kane's face at the moment they tell him.

I think this season it's top four regardless. It's next season where it would come into place if so.

That's a big if now as well. After a very sloppy start, English sides seem to have sorted their act out a little, and the 4th placed Italians haven't really been pulling up any trees. Unlikely, but England can still have four in the knockouts to Italy's one.

I think England will have 4 spots in the CL next season but if an English team wins the Europa league AND that team finishes outside the top four, then only the top 3 league finishers qualify + the Europa winner.  Beware of Chelsea if they don't beat Porto...

I think England will have 4 spots in the CL next season but if an English team wins the Europa league AND that team finishes outside the top four, then only the top 3 league finishers qualify + the Europa winner.  Beware of Chelsea if they don't beat Porto...

A maximum of 5 teams from one country can enter the Champions League, so as long as 2 English teams don't win the European trophies and finish outside of the top 4, the top 4 will qualify.

A maximum of 5 teams from one country can enter the Champions League, so as long as 2 English teams don't win the European trophies and finish outside of the top 4, the top 4 will qualify.

I'm glad to be corrected.  I'm just sitting a little bit in disbelief that here we are, a group of Leicester City fans, actually having a semi-serious discussion about the finer details of Champions League qualification!

• Like 1

I'm glad to be corrected.  I'm just sitting a little bit in disbelief that here we are, a group of Leicester City fans, actually having a semi-serious discussion about the finer details of Champions League qualification!

I wasn't sure myself, you worried me so I had to have a look around google and find out either way :D

I can see Chelsea purposefully going out this week and seeing the Europa league as their best chance. The problem for Chelsea is, I imagine a lot of teams will be going for it full throttle this year so it won't be at all easy for them.

The Wall Street Journal

English Soccer’s Stumbling Superpowers As established contenders like Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City flounder, lowly Leicester City finds itself top of the standings.

By 
JOSHUA ROBINSON
Dec. 7, 2015 11:02 a.m. ET

When Leicester City kicked off the English Premier League season in August, it set out with some fairly modest expectations.

The Foxes had won promotion to English soccer’s top division just two years earlier. And in their first season back, they spent months flirting with relegation. So ahead of the club’s second Premier League season, its goal was simple enough: Don’t get relegated.

Four months on, it’s all going according to plan. Their victory at Swansea last Saturday means that eight more points should guarantee survival for another season. There’s just one thing they weren’t expecting: Leicester is also top of the league.

As compelling as the Foxes’ fairytale is, the club isn’t in first place because it morphed into a soccer superpower overnight. Instead, the team rose to the top of the standings while the Premier League’s established contenders fell apart in the background.

Nearly halfway through the season, none of the title favorites has looked convincing for more than two weeks at a time. Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City and Manchester United have seemingly taken it in turns to trip themselves up.

First there was defending champion Chelsea, which has imploded like a dying star. Then came the injury crises at Arsenal and Manchester City. Manchester United never got started. Liverpool fired its manager. And Tottenham, while proving difficult to beat, leads the league in soccer’s dullest category: tied games.

“Everybody is losing points,” Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho said after his side’s 1-0 home defeat to lowly Bournemouth. “Only Leicester are consistent in victories, they keep winning and winning.”

BN-LO863_2oIGc_M_20151206181705.jpg?widtENLARGE
Leicester City's Riyad Mahrez, left, scored a hat trick against Swansea on Saturday. PHOTO: REBECCA NADEN/ZUMA PRESS

This outbreak of parity wasn’t entirely unexpected. At the beginning of the season, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger predicted that the title could be won this season with a record low points total. And so far, the standings are proving him right. Just three points separate the top four teams. On current form, Leicester would win the championship with 81 points. No team has claimed the Premier League with fewer than 80 points since Manchester United in the 1990s.

What no one could have predicted is quite how quickly this trend would develop. The 2015/16 Premier League is off to one of the slowest starts in recent memory.

Over the past decade, the team in first place after 15 games had an average of 36.1 points to its name. Leicester currently has just 32. That’s four points fewer than Chelsea had when it held the top spot at this time last year.

Theories—or excuses—abound every time a manager opens his mouth. Manchester City, one of the richest clubs in the world, has complained about squad depth.

“We have had to play the same 12 or 15 players for most of the season,” City manager Manuel Pellegrini said after Saturday’s 2-0 defeat at Stoke.

While it’s true that the demands on the top clubs force them to use their best lineups nearly twice as often as the league’s weaker clubs, this is hardly a new development.

Irresistible at its best, when forwards like Sergio Aguero and Kevin De Bruyne are firing, City has looked utterly hopeless when caught off guard. The key absentee has been central defender Vincent Kompany. City has lost four of the seven games that he’s missed.

BN-LP019_2oGsM_M_20151207111529.jpg?widtENLARGE
Stoke City’s Marko Arnautovic celebrates after scoring his first goal in his team’s win over Manchester City on Saturday. PHOTO: RUI VIEIRA/ASSOCIATED PRESS

Arsenal has been similarly derailed by a rash of injuries, an annual tradition for the Gunners. As November rolls around and the leaves start falling, so do Arsenal players. The Gunners needed their ugliest victory of the season on Saturday, at home against Sunderland, to break a three-game winless streak and yank themselves back to second.

“I was more nervous than usual, because I felt it was a very important game for our season,” said Wenger, who had six defenders on the field for the final minutes.

As for Chelsea’s ongoing demise, Mourinho has exhausted so many theories—from a short preseason training camp to a breakdown of relationships in the locker room—that he’s finally taken to blaming bad luck. The Blues have one win in their past six league games.

The only productive streak by any team near the top of the standings belongs to Tottenham, which is undefeated in a club-record 14 games. But even that’s misleading. Spurs’ run includes more draws (eight) than victories (six). The latest was Saturday’s 1-1 tie at West Brom.

Manchester United, meanwhile, is in contention for the first time since legendary manager Alex Ferguson retired in 2013. Except that no longer seems to satisfy the fans. Moderate success has come at the expense of entertainment and, after two seasons of ugly reconstruction work, they are begging for more.

Instead, they have been forced to endure what may be the least exciting United team in decades. The Red Devils rank second in the league in possession, but 15th in shots per game. Its game develops so slowly through aging players like Bastian Schweinsteiger and Wayne Rooney that the team has yet to score a single counter-attacking goal this season. And on Saturday, at home against West Ham, it posted its fourth scoreless draw of the campaign. Louis van Gaal and his players were booed off the field at Old Trafford.

“You need to score, otherwise you cannot win,” Van Gaal said, exhibiting a full grasp of the problem. “It is very frustrating, also for the players because they want to score.”

And yet, in this sputtering season, United is still in the thick of the title race. So are City and Arsenal—and maybe even Tottenham. But all of them still have to catch Leicester.

Write to Joshua Robinson at [email protected]

• Like 1

"I'm not a sucker!" Marseille president may regret this brutal rejection of Leicester City's Riyad Mahrez

Marseille head honcho Vincent Labrune will feel a little silly after the world sees these comments

Riyad Mahrez is a on FIRE right now.

Jamie Vardy might be getting most of the credit for Leicester City's unbelievable start to the season, but the Algerian winger has been just as awesome for the Premier League's most unlikely table toppers.

After a hat-trick in the Foxes' 3-0 win at Swansea , Mahrez has already been involved in an amazing sixteen Premier League goals this season (six assists, ten goals) - a tally which has seen him linked with a big money move to a host of huge clubs.

All of which makes these newly discovered comments from Marseille's president even more ridiculous.

France Football have got hold of an email sent by Vincent Labrune - Marseille's head honcho - on 30 December 2014. Two players had been mentioned to Labrune as potential targets for the French giants. One of those players was Mahrez.

This was Labrune's reply:

"Do you really think that Leicester players now have a place at Olympique Marseille, in the project we've got?

"To save time, let me tell you, we try to be professional and qualitative with our recruitment. The probability of us taking this sort of player is zero.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't put up with people taking me for a sucker."
  • Like 3

"I'm not a sucker!" Marseille president may regret this brutal rejection of Leicester City's Riyad Mahrez

Marseille head honcho Vincent Labrune will feel a little silly after the world sees these comments

Jamie Vardy might be getting most of the credit for Leicester City's unbelievable start to the season, but the Algerian winger has been just as awesome for the Premier League's most unlikely table toppers.

After a hat-trick in the Foxes' 3-0 win at Swansea , Mahrez has already been involved in an amazing sixteen Premier League goals this season (six assists, ten goals) - a tally which has seen him linked with a big money move to a host of huge clubs.

All of which makes these newly discovered comments from Marseille's president even more ridiculous.

France Football have got hold of an email sent by Vincent Labrune - Marseille's head honcho - on 30 December 2014. Two players had been mentioned to Labrune as potential targets for the French giants. One of those players was Mahrez.

"Do you really think that Leicester players now have a place at Olympique Marseille, in the project we've got?

"To save time, let me tell you, we try to be professional and qualitative with our recruitment. The probability of us taking this sort of player is zero.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't put up with people taking me for a sucker."

cant is as cant does...proves a pigs bladder on a stick can own a football club...

Lot of positives being said on the Colin Murray show on TS this morning. Him and Micky Gray full of praise for how we're performing. Murray, (big Liverpool fan), said he'd "love it" if Leicester won the title!!

Alan Brazil said he had heard that CR wasnt a very nice person (was probably pissed) wil be on the catch up was around 7am

Alan Brazil said he had heard that CR wasnt a very nice person (was probably pissed) wil be on the catch up was around 7am

I thought this was common knowledge.

Pearson was a knob on camera, and really nice chap off.

Raneiri lovely chap an camera, hard ass off it!

Ha, that quote is less than a year old and Marseille are our bitches after the Kante episode.  :D

"Everyone else is crap"

"The worry is that Vardy could be so worn out from celebrating his double hat-trick after running at that creaky Chelsea backline that he'll have nothing left for the three difficult contests to follow."

Haha-- I LOVE it. We're having a great time in NYC, can only imagine what it's like by you guys.

Most everyone I speak to would love it if we won the league. It would be a shock of massive proportions and the biggest breath of fresh air ever in what has become a relatively stale top 5.

Just read this comment on BBC website: "Can we all just agree, that no matter who you support, you'd be quietly content to see Leicester win the Premier League?"    131 votes "Yes", only 14  "No".

I heard this...which amused me because John Cross had just been talking about the morale at the Chelsea training ground being flat. Danny Murphy chimed in and said that he couldn't stand such flippant rumours and that such a comment was conjecture at best...minutes later Brazil remarked that, although he shouldn't really say it, but murmurs from the Leicester camp suggested that Ranieri wasn't a great person and was a poor coach. Unbelievable. Unfounded speculation is TalkSports stock in trade.