Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

All this "probably for the last time" stuff makes me chuckle.

Have people not learnt?

This.

Its like, that's it, no one else can break the barrier. If feels like all these pundits, reporters and experts have been waiting to the day the big I told you so for 18 months. We didn't get smashed to bits, we lost to a dodgy pen decision in the end! Until next time, I say.

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

"Leicester leave this competition, probably for the last time, with heads held high and the memory of some bravura nights in this rattly, corrugated noise funnel of a stadium."

Good article

Heard some ovely comments describing Atleti this morning. "SWAT team" is probably my favourite one. 

Someone said last night that Atleti are defensively "sophisticated and complex". Getting past them is like solving a difficult mathematical formula.

Last night we had 57% possession and 16 shots on goal to their 6, and 7 corners to their 1. But they looked assured and supremely organised. Leicester City being compared to Atleti is a huge compliment.

I so badly want us to emulate Atletico Madrid. They should be our blue print. We already have the identity and foundations and hopefully we can rebuild this team and move it forward. 

Edited by Koke
  • Like 3

The Times' player ratings for last night's game make interesting reading.

One player (Chilwell) out of the 26 who played scored above a 6/10.

Yesterday saw some very high quality individual performances both from Leicester and Atletico players. If you can't bring yourself to appreciate those levels of play as anything above average you've got no business reporting on the game.

Ordinarily I wouldn't moan about something like this as they tend to be fairly throwaway but they'd turned it into a proper feature which suggests that at least some thought had gone into it.

25 minutes ago, ttfn said:

The Times' player ratings for last night's game make interesting reading.

One player (Chilwell) out of the 26 who played scored above a 6/10.

Yesterday saw some very high quality individual performances both from Leicester and Atletico players. If you can't bring yourself to appreciate those levels of play as anything above average you've got no business reporting on the game.

Ordinarily I wouldn't moan about something like this as they tend to be fairly throwaway but they'd turned it into a proper feature which suggests that at least some thought had gone into it.

You say that, but when i watched the Real vs Bayern extra time afterwards, they were on a different planet to our game.

3 hours ago, Spudulike said:

"Leicester leave this competition, probably for the last time, with heads held high and the memory of some bravura nights in this rattly, corrugated noise funnel of a stadium."

Good article

Not for me. Patronising and they can't disguise their contempt for the way we play our 2nd rate stadium their thoughts that it should be one of the 'big' clubs they're reporting on.

English football should be proud of Leicester City

By Richard FirthApril 19, 2017

Leicester's European adventure may be over, but they can still hold their heads up high.

Leicester City’s bid to make the semi-finals of the Champions League ultimately fell short, but even the fact that they were in a position where midway through the second half they were still within a shout of making it happen against one of Europe’s very best, Atletico Madrid, should be something that they and all of English football should take great pride in. Something beyond their wildest dreams a few years ago, the fairytale may have come to an end last night, but they have been a credit, and we’ve all very much enjoyed the ride. This whole journey has been fantastic, not just in Europe, but the last 24 months.

Going behind to a Saul Niguez header, it seemed as though they might be slinking out of Europe with a whimper. The second half though saw them give absolutely everything, with a goal from Jamie Vardy as their reward. It wasn’t enough, but at least they gave it a go, and that’s all anyone could ask of them. They have done not only themselves proud, but also their fans and their city over the past couple of years. Everyone knows about Leicester, and it’s thanks to them.

Make no mistake, the Spanish side were given one hell of a game, and one hell of second half. Dominated in the first half, Leicester went to a front two for the second half and started going direct, getting right in the faces of Atletico, putting them under immense pressure. Lesser sides than Diego Simeone’s side might have cracked, but with a defence led by a titan such as Diego Godin, they held firm. There was a period of 15-20 minutes after the Vardy goal, when it seemed as though the unthinkable was going to happen. It didn’t, but Leicester gave it a damn good go.

They might not have won tonight, but let’s not forget, this isn’t Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool (none of whom made it into the Champions League) I might add, or Arsenal, Tottenham and Manchester City (all of whom the Foxes got further than in this year’s competition). This is a club that, eight years ago, was winning 2-0 at Southend United, thanks to two goals from Matty Fryatt, to gain promotion out of League One. This isn’t one of Europe’s big names, or even a club that imagined getting into such a position. This is a club whose goalscorer last night, lest we forget, was combining working in a carbon fibre factory on 12 hour shifts along with playing in the eighth tier of English football up until 2010.

They’re an inspiration and even in defeat, they put a smile on people’s faces just by down to the fact that they gave their all, and really put the wind up one of Europe’s best. It wasn’t just a case of running hard and fast, since there was a good deal of tactical awareness from Craig Shakespeare too, something which should be highly praised. On paper, they should have been comfortably beaten, but, especially in the second half, it was anything but comfortable. One hopes that others will see what Leicester have been doing and take inspiration and go on to have their own fantastic journeys.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

what's he said?

Leicester have embarrassed English football by hoofing it long constantly in the second half. Also said that we "risked possession" in doing so.

I don't think he actually believes this drivel for a second. Just spouts shit to get callers. 

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 16.34.56.png

5 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Leicester have embarrassed English football by hoofing it long constantly in the second half. Also said that we "risked possession" in doing so.

I don't think he actually believes this drivel for a second. Just spouts shit to get callers. 

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 16.34.56.png

He's making himself look a right cvnt on today's show. Even Man Utd and L'pool fans ringing in to say he's out of order for saying we're a disgrace to English football.

He's a total cock and what tiny bit of respect I had for him has now gone. Bell end of the highest order...

30 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Anyone want a laugh. Listen to Adrian Durham right now. 

Outdone himself truly, this time. 

He's the Katie Hopkins of sport broadcasting. No ta

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

All this "probably for the last time" stuff makes me chuckle.

Have people not learnt?

It's all very 'you've had your moment, now get back in your box' stuff, isn't it?

It's worth pointing out that our opponents last night were playing in the Segunda Division fifteen years ago and were very much a midtable side until about ten years ago. Our opponents in the previous round, Sevilla, haven't finished in the top four since 2010 but have still won three Europa League titles in a row. 

It'd take a very brave man to rule us out of enjoying a similar meteoric rise after our journey of the past two years.

• Like 3

It's called having a Plan B. All this shit about Atleti weren't rocked. There was one player who got his head up once we scored - Godin. They blocked shots within their own six yard box. 

The only people who have gave us any respect are those who we faced. Speaks volumes.

• Like 1

Also, Nostalgia Forest giving it the big 'un on Twitter. lol

You dad's bollocks hadn't dropped for you to swim in them when Forest were last in the European Cup, pipe down.