Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/17/diego-godin-jamie-vardy-atletico-madrid-leicester-diego-simeone

Jamie Vardy, say? “He would fit in at the vast majority of teams in the world,” Godín says. “He works, sacrifices himself for the team, and on top of that scores goals. Who wouldn’t want a striker who kills himself for you, then gives you attacking solutions?”

“A striker like that is fundamental for a team like Leicester that plays the way that they do. If they didn’t have that kind of striker, maybe they wouldn’t be Leicester, the team we’ve seen,” he continues. “He’s a great player, who fights and competes. Against Sevilla [in the last 16], every ball that went into the Sevilla half he fought for: he never gave a ball up for lost. At the Calderón he was virtually alone and if he didn’t touch the ball often that doesn’t mean he’s not a great striker, quite the opposite. It’s because we paid him so much attention. We were focused on not giving him space, cutting off access to him.

Edited by Buce

20 hours ago, Buce said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/17/diego-godin-jamie-vardy-atletico-madrid-leicester-diego-simeone

Jamie Vardy, say? “He would fit in at the vast majority of teams in the world,” Godín says. “He works, sacrifices himself for the team, and on top of that scores goals. Who wouldn’t want a striker who kills himself for you, then gives you attacking solutions?”

“A striker like that is fundamental for a team like Leicester that plays the way that they do. If they didn’t have that kind of striker, maybe they wouldn’t be Leicester, the team we’ve seen,” he continues. “He’s a great player, who fights and competes. Against Sevilla [in the last 16], every ball that went into the Sevilla half he fought for: he never gave a ball up for lost. At the Calderón he was virtually alone and if he didn’t touch the ball often that doesn’t mean he’s not a great striker, quite the opposite. It’s because we paid him so much attention. We were focused on not giving him space, cutting off access to him.

Replied to a comment on that article having a pop at Leicester fans for the behaviour last week, in which I pointed out only 8 were arrested for "causing a mess" out of 5,000+ traveling fans, noting the heavy-handed Spanish police, discriminatory media coverage of the incidents in Spain and the complete lack of coverage of the behaviour of Sevilla fans who were lobbing coins at home fans at the KP (one of which hit me).

Naturally, the Guardian deleted it.

So I posted this:

Why was my comment about the heavy handed Spanish police, past behaviour of Dortmund fans, the fact that out of 5000+ Leicester fans only 8 were actually arrested for "causing a mess", and the total lack of coverage of the violent behaviour of Sevilla's fans at the KP deleted? 

These are facts that are fundamentally in keeping with the topic in question and in reply to a discriminatory comment about Leicester City fans that had little basis in actual fact. Censorship of this is just pathetic.

Which was deleted.

They don't like it up 'em.

• Like 2

I know it's stupid to listen to Talksport and then complain about the things you hear, but some of the things I've just heard are incredible. They're holding a phone in about Vardy and how good he is. So far someone has said he's on par with Deeney, Long and Austin, and someone else said he's League 1 standard. The hosts did rubbish the comments, but still.

Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone: "I'm full of emotion and pride at the performance of my team.
"I also have to say, what a great performance from our opponents. It was almost a pleasure to compete against them."

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

They probably have the original on Betamax it was that long ago.

I must have missed the bit were the top 6 in 1978-80 was a closed shop and we broke the British transfer record.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

i saw this oo, i find it pretty funny other clubs fans harp up when we lost, but didnt forest win the competition when it was a knockout competition?

and for a forest fan to say that, im sure 70% of the fans base now wasnt alive then, 

have to love geoff peters response.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/854571226957840384

Edited by FrankieADZ

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I for one am glad that we're not one of those clubs that have to harp on about achievements 50 years ago to try and stay relevant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

That's nice of them. Maybe we could send them a DVD of our Premier League winning captain gifting Yeovil Town a winning goal in the division they're about to return to.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, C-man said:

Let's see how we're getting on in 50 years fella.

though if you look at recent times(10years past) we've still won more than them and achieved more

i really feel sorry(not really tbh) for the Forest fans harping out the "we won the European Cup", and thats comes out of a gobs of forest fans who wasnt even born to see them win

In fairness to Forest fans over the age of 40, they've seen the cup wins and deserve to bleat on about it (just as we all will with the last 2 seasons for the next 40 years). Thing I dont get is the fans in their 30s banging on about it in a nostalgic manner as opposed to just what it is in reality to them, ie, a statistic.