Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

21 hours ago, orangecity23 said:

If you enjoyed the cyberpunk aspects of Akira, then I'd recommend Ghost in the Shell and Psycho-Pass. Ghost in the Shell has had many different versions and continuities over the years (ignore the Hollywood version). My favourite, and perhaps the most accessible to start with, is the Stand Alone Complex series, it basically takes the form of a police procedural show, but with an over-arcing plot tying everything together. Here's the intro from the second series, it's a banger:

Psycho-pass is from the same studio, and is kind of an anime take on a Minority-Report style society, and a police unit operating within it. Really gripping stuff at times, and a third series just kicked off on Amazon Prime.

And if you really liked the aesthetic of Akira, the neon lights, the motorbikes and all that, then you might enjoy Bubblegum Crisis. Its very old, but it has a great cyberpunk-ish aesthetic that borrows heavily from Blade Runner, and is soundtracked with a fantastic 80s tinged poppish j-rock soundtrack.

The guy who wrote Psycho Pass, Gen Urobuchi also was majorly involved in two other top quality anime series, Madoka Magica and Fate/Zero, he is pretty good with how he can twist a story but my god does his writing get dark at times.

Did not realise they had made a third season of PP either, only knew of the first two seasons and the movie.

Just watched episode 1 of The Mandalorian, the new Star Wars live action show on new streaming service Disney+ which launched in the US today. Disney+ not launching over here til next year so had to watch it by *ahem* alternative means *ahem*.

Quite good actually. its big budget, dark, has a western feel about it. Resembles Rogue One rather than the rubbish episode 8 which is no bad thing. Interesting ending to the episode as well so I'm in. Its set a couple of years after the original trilogy, and thankfully none of the SJW and 'your mum' jokes crap like in The Last Jedi.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Syrup said:

Just watched episode 1 of The Mandalorian, the new Star Wars live action show on new streaming service Disney+ which launched in the US today. Disney+ not launching over here til next year so had to watch it by *ahem* alternative means *ahem*.

Quite good actually. its big budget, dark, has a western feel about it. Resembles Rogue One rather than the rubbish episode 8 which is no bad thing. Interesting ending to the episode as well so I'm in. Its set a couple of years after the original trilogy, and thankfully none of the SJW and 'your mum' jokes crap like in The Last Jedi.

Rogue One was so good, give it 15 years that will be the only new Star Wars film that will be held in high esteem (maybe Solo too).

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I’m on serious 2 and also late, I’m enjoying it but it’s not grabbed me enough to binge watch it yet.

I've enjoyed it mate

It's not breaking bad but i think it's interesting how it progresses.

• Like 1

Finished Jack Ryan S2, definitely better than the first because it's slightly more grounded (i.e no Ebola terrorism). It progresses really well and I'd imagine it reflects intelligence work fairly well in a lot of cases but then it can't control itself in the finale and goes full Michael Bay. So many glaring plot holes.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Stadt said:

Finished Jack Ryan S2, definitely better than the first because it's slightly more grounded (i.e no Ebola terrorism). It progresses really well and I'd imagine it reflects intelligence work fairly well in a lot of cases but then it can't control itself in the finale and goes full Michael Bay. So many glaring plot holes.

Really interesting you say that as I've got one episode left of S2 and I don't think it's as good as series 1 :D

Both a decent watch though and trying to decide what to watch next!

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 15:00, The Syrup said:

Not yet seen it but heard it is partially run by Dave Filoni and Favreau of Iron Man fame, Filoni knows his stuff in regards Star Wars, this is what he has helmed