Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Johnny Cash

Nugent

Penalties don't count remember? People need something to make their arguments look better so they're not counting penalties as well as cup goals now.

Penalties are a set piece, a gamble, it doesn't matter how you're playing anyone can score a penalty at any opportunity thats why you have to treat them with care and isolate them.

If Nugent hadn't taken them then he would only have had 2 goals to go along with his piss poor performances this year.

Some always find a way to support sub-par players.

Penalties are a set piece, a gamble, it doesn't matter how you're playing anyone can score a penalty at any opportunity thats why you have to treat them with care and isolate them.

If Nugent hadn't taken them then he would only have had 2 goals to go along with his piss poor performances this year.

But he has taken them. And scored every one of them! So no matter what you say or think that won't change the fact that he's scored 7 league goals this season.

Only 4 people in the division have scored more goals in the league than David Nugent this season. 

Only 6 people in the division have more assists than David Nugent this season. 

Nobody has more unwarranted critics than David Nugent. 

Wow.

Do you know the rules of football? You don't get an empty net to slot the ball into. Believe it or not there's still a keeper that you have to beat, and just because a defender scored a penalty doesn't mean that anyone's gran can score a peno.

I'm not sure whether you're a wind-up merchant or just clueless.

Wow.

Do you know the rules of football? You don't get an empty net to slot the ball into. Believe it or not there's still a keeper that you have to beat, and just because a defender scored a penalty doesn't mean that anyone's gran can score a peno.

I'm not sure whether you're a wind-up merchant or just clueless.

He's clueless

Everybody knows my opinion on nugents current form, and I stand corrected for the first 35 mins of the match, He played well, was involved. and scored that crucial goal today from open play and it was a VERY cool finish, However after he scores he was more of a hinderance than a good player for me, Constantly beaten to the air, then to the second ball. control was okay at best, and he was getting frustrated himself...

Wood came on and it all clicked, he was far better in the first 10 minutes than nugent was all game,

Shame for schlupp also would have loved to have seen a goal from the lad!

All in all, a comfortable enough performance, Nugent was hot/cold but scored a very well taken goal and contributed..

But if anybody on this forum thinks he deserves to be put infront of wood still after today they need their heads looking at.

Wood was top class for the limited appearance he made.

When you say wood was far better in 10 mins than Nuge was the whole game, only one of them put the ball in the back of the net.

At te end of the day that's all that matters isn't it? I like wood and I like Nuge so I don't want to argue over who adds more but the fact is no matter how badly people say Nuge played he scored we won!

This reminds me of the idiots when we ha the yak with all he does is score goals. As someone has said already only 4 players in the league have more goals and only 6 have more assists. What more do you people want?

Didn't he set Vardy's first up last week?

Can't believe he's still getting stick. Embarrassing.

Well you know, 2nd in the league, 3 strikers looking good, team playing well, be a shame to let that get in the way of a good old fashioned witch hunt.

You've got to admire the ability to keep a straight face when attempting to pick holes in the Championships 5th highest goal scorer if nothing else I guess. 

As I don't rate him, I think it's only fair we don't include his penalties and his goals from open play.

Anyone could score those.

Or cup goals. So Nuge only gets credited with goals in friendlies now. Them's the rules okay people?

The penalties thing is a fair comment though. I'm not saying they should be discounted, but it does actually make his goal tally disproportionate to his performance/shooting in general (and I think a lot of people are being obtuse about this).

I wouldn't say it's particularly easy to score a penalty, and fair play to him for not missing one, but they do cover up the fact that he's not been scoring regularly for a while now.  I'd be more inclined to agree if Nugent was actually winning the penalties himself, but he's not. After all, Kasper could have taken the penalties and scored 5 goals, it wouldn't make him a great striker. Gallagher was great at penalties, didn't make him an amazing striker either.

I don't think he should be dropped, but you can't argue that he is as good as he had been in previous seasons. Really needs to regain some form; I hope Sat's goal is the start of him regaining some.

The penalties thing is a fair comment though. I'm not saying they should be discounted, but it does actually make his goal tally disproportionate to his performance/shooting in general (and I think a lot of people are being obtuse about this).

I wouldn't say it's particularly easy to score a penalty, and fair play to him for not missing one, but they do cover up the fact that he's not been scoring regularly for a while now. I'd be more inclined to agree Nugent was actually winning the penalties himself, but he's not. After all, Kasper could have taken the penalties and scored 5 goals, it wouldn't make him a great striker. Gallagher was great at penalties, didn't make him an amazing striker either.

I don't think he should be dropped, but you can't argue that he is as good as he had been in previous seasons. Really needs to regain some form; I hope Sat's goal is the start of him regaining some.

Very fair post..

:thumbup:

I wouldn't say it's particularly easy to score a penalty, and fair play to him for not missing one, but they do cover up the fact that he's not been scoring regularly for a while now.  I'd be more inclined to agree if Nugent was actually winning the penalties himself, but he's not. After all, Kasper could have taken the penalties and scored 5 goals, it wouldn't make him a great striker. Gallagher was great at penalties, didn't make him an amazing striker either.

Agree with all bar the last, think we should give wood a run after his exploits saturday.

I still find it absolutely hilarious that people still think that when people say "take away the penalties" we mean take them off his goal tally...

If you think taking penalties and scoring 6 of them should count as an individual brilliance and an individual effort to the team, and that he is the sole reason we won and scored it.... 

you are Fvcking deluded....

2 from open play since January, 6 penalties, so he is absolutely amazing, he is the best player we have.

If anybody actually went to the game you would have noticed that nuge had a good 20-25 mins, then he was terrible after his goal, never made space, jogged everywhere. was offside more often than not,

there was a point Was launched a ball up to him, the defender headed it straight up into the sky, The ball dropped towards king, and all he had to do was head nuge through 1 vs 1... but he couldn't. because nuge was STILL walking back from a shot he had 5 minutes before...

King just stood there in amazement with his arms aloft. he is a lazy player. 

But hey, He scored 6 penalties so that completely reflects his performances.

Completely justified.

People seem to forget that not only did wood go off the boil, nugent has never come back on the boil!!

wood has been injured, He is back, and looked 10x the player nugent was. give wood a run and maybe he will prove us wrong, maybe he will flop again, but if anyone thinks nugent deserves a place over wood after woods impact they need to support dierby.

Ridiculous that so many people have their head up his arse still,

Great finish, no doubt. but played awful after that.

Nugent for me has been poor since the Huddersfield game way back last season. Prior to this, when he wasn't scoring, his workrate and contribution was second to none and he was well worth his place on that alone imo. This year however, he appears to let the improved Vardy do all that harrying and donkeywork whilst he hides in midfield. Yes, he does hold out his arms and gesture as if he wants the ball but if you watch carefully, it's generally when one of his players with the ball can't see him or it would not be possible to pass to him, in other words, a peacemeal gesture perhaps for the management or crowd, he's hiding. What really disappoints me is that on many occassions, Vardy has managed to bust a gut and just manage to get to the ball and somehow get it back into an almost empty peanalty area where, in my opinion, Nugent, or any other decent striker should have been taking a gamble and busting a gut to get there just in case, yet there's no sign of Nugent our striker. On three similar examples to this in the Huddersfield game, I actually saw both King and Drinkwater sprint past Nugent from a deeper position in order to try and assist.

Yes, he took his goal well on Saturday but not before time. There are several other players in our side who are capable of taking penalties and without them, for me, Nugent isn't worth a place in the side at the moment, he's either too comfortable, has a problem injury or other wise, or can't be bothered. Now he appears to be fit again, I'd sooner Wood or Schlupp given a run, at least they appear keener to impress. All strikers go through lean spells but the best ones just keep working and stick at it. On MOTD Michael Owen commented that every good striker should anticipate a mistake by a goalkeeper, a rebound off the woodwork etc, but in Nugent's case, he's very rarely near where the action is in such circumstances to take advantage.

Nugent for me has been poor since the Huddersfield game way back last season. Prior to this, when he wasn't scoring, his workrate and contribution was second to none and he was well worth his place on that alone imo. This year however, he appears to let the improved Vardy do all that harrying and donkeywork whilst he hides in midfield. Yes, he does hold out his arms and gesture as if he wants the ball but if you watch carefully, it's generally when one of his players with the ball can't see him or it would not be possible to pass to him, in other words, a peacemeal gesture perhaps for the management or crowd, he's hiding. What really disappoints me is that on many occassions, Vardy has managed to bust a gut and just manage to get to the ball and somehow get it back into an almost empty peanalty area where, in my opinion, Nugent, or any other decent striker should have been taking a gamble and busting a gut to get there just in case, yet there's no sign of Nugent our striker. On three similar examples to this in the Huddersfield game, I actually saw both King and Drinkwater sprint past Nugent from a deeper position in order to try and assist.

Yes, he took his goal well on Saturday but not before time. There are several other players in our side who are capable of taking penalties and without them, for me, Nugent isn't worth a place in the side at the moment, he's either too comfortable, has a problem injury or other wise, or can't be bothered. Now he appears to be fit again, I'd sooner Wood or Schlupp given a run, at least they appear keener to impress. All strikers go through lean spells but the best ones just keep working and stick at it. On MOTD Michael Owen commented that every good striker should anticipate a mistake by a goalkeeper, a rebound off the woodwork etc, but in Nugent's case, he's very rarely near where the action is in such circumstances to take advantage.

He's been ill for a week 

He has scored 6 penalties

He scored a good goal on saturday

so that means to the foxestalk faithful that your opinion is invalid  :thumbup:

Cannot believe that people cannot see what we see vol, Although in the last few weeks ive noticed a few opinions change on the sly  :ph34r:

To be honest, even though he was terrible for 60% of his 60 odd minutes on saturday he scored... so no matter what opinion you have, the usual drivel on this forum will race to the surface to point out his goal. The only impact he made all game  lol

If it was Gallagher there would be pitch invasions

Agree with all bar the last, think we should give wood a run after his exploits saturday.

I still find it absolutely hilarious that people still think that when people say "take away the penalties" we mean take them off his goal tally...

Yeah, nothing to do with people saying "If you take away the penalties, he would have 2 goals" or anything.

Yeah, nothing to do with people saying "If you take away the penalties, he would have 2 goals" or anything.

Corky do us a favour and be quiet on the subject...

your structured opinion is welcome but your boring quotes like this are not.

I've seen this post from you about 8 times in the past week and nobody is listening...

Bored of you now, sarcasm is not one of your strong points, it's just making you look stupid now  :thumbup:

David nugent, the paul gallagher of 2013 Can take a penalty, doesn't offer much more at the moment. 

2 from open play, and 4 in 40 away from home is obviously good enough for you  lol

I've seen this post from you about 8 times in the past week and nobody is listening...

Bored of you now, sarcasm is not one of your strong points, it's just making you look stupid now :thumbup:

David nugent, the paul gallagher of 2013 Can take a penalty, doesn't offer much more at the moment.

2 from open play, and 4 in 40 away from home is obviously good enough for you lol

Paul Gallagher of 2013? Have a day off mate

He's been ill for a week 

He has scored 6 penalties

He scored a good goal on saturday

so that means to the foxestalk faithful that your opinion is invalid  :thumbup:

Cannot believe that people cannot see what we see vol, Although in the last few weeks ive noticed a few opinions change on the sly  :ph34r:

To be honest, even though he was terrible for 60% of his 60 odd minutes on saturday he scored... so no matter what opinion you have, the usual drivel on this forum will race to the surface to point out his goal. The only impact he made all game  lol

If it was Gallagher there would be pitch invasions

Yes he's been ill for a week, but not since last season.

Yes he's scored 6 penalties, but there must be a least 3/4 of our other players more than capable of doing that.

Yes, he did score a good goal on Sturday as I pointed out, but he'd score a lot more if he put his 'old' amount of effort in and played like a striker.

Although you say he played terrible for 60% of his 60 minutes on Saturday, I'd even concede that I didn't think he was as bad as his previous games and he looked a bit brighter, I don't dislike the bloke, I just don't think he's worth his place at the moment, who knows, there could be a vary valid reason for his poor contribution.

I don't think he'll play against Fulham which would be sensible if he's been ill. If however Wood, Schlupp or whoever take there oppotunity well, then I think one of them should start with Vardy for the next league game with Nugent on the bench to come on if neccessary. I think any of our striker willing to take a gamble on some of the many chances created by Vardy thus far would have scored a hatful and we'd have killed the opposition off more efficiently. Just my opinion.

Bored of you now, sarcasm is not one of your strong points, it's just making you look stupid now  :thumbup:

2 from open play, and 4 in 40 away from home is obviously good enough for you  lol

Sorry, didn't understand your post.

When you mentioned about people not taking penalties off goal tallies and seeing other posters say "if you take the penalties away, he would have 2 goals" I assumed they were talking about goal tallies.

Archived