Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Villa up next... Early thoughts?

Kasper

De Laet

Jeff

Hoooth

Wes

Kante

Inler

Albrighton

Mahrez

Shinji

Jamie

I think Inler is a must-start and Kante has been so busy when he's come on he's ready too. My only worry is the Mahrez / Albrighton set up on the flanks where Marc's contsantly having to cut in all the time. Yes, the inswinger's dangerous but the opposition are clever enough to know that he's rarely going on his left foot so they'll bring him in every time. Tottenham did it and Albrighton had his quietest game in ages. Do it but vary it, let him switch with Mahrez and mix the crosses up a bit.

Has the potential for goals goals goal with both teams have pace on the attack. Alternatively it could be 2 teams sitting deep waiting counter and be an absolute bore-fest. 

Would love to beat these after last season. More as a statement of how much we have grown as a team since we last played these and paid them for too much respect.

Love the first link in particular - what do passing averages indicate at all? We're in third place after four games, Villa in 12th.

And since when are they an "in-form" team? They've lost two in a row in the league.

That second one has a slight point, Albrighton would face competition from the players he mentions.  I can't for one second believe the Villa fans would be happy to see a player with his current form left on the bench for players still getting to grips with the squad though.  Sounds like he's trying to convince himself they'll be fine more than anything.

The Brummy Mail though. lol Nice spot of fishing there.

Don't write them off just yet. Traore, Grealish, Sinclair as an attacking midfield 3 aren't bad!  Traore looks like he's going to be a serious player. Still should be confident of winning though

Not particularly worried about Grealish at all.

Sinclair weve seen before and Traore looks a good player

Albrighton-Sky-702x336.jpg

The Marc of our squad
BY DAN BARDELL ON
SEPTEMBER 10, 2015GENERAL VILLA

The Villans will travel to Leicester on Sunday as the Premier League returns after the international break. The Foxes are flying at the moment, unbeaten in their opening four matches and carrying on where they left off at the end of the previous campaign. A change of manager doesn’t seem to have upset the apple cart at all, as the likeable Claudio Ranieri has continued to get the best out of Leicester’s players and has made some decent additions to boot. I do not think a relegation battle will be on the cards for Ranieri’s team this season, although, as we found out after a good start to last season, these things can change!

A key player at the back end of last season for then Leicester City manager Nigel Pearson was former Villa academy graduate Marc Albrighton. In fact, when he came into their side results started to turn and they went on their incredible run. Albrighton has started this season in incredible fashion as well, with a goal and three assists in the opening four games. Albrighton looks to be back to the form he enjoyed when he burst on to the scene for Aston Villa in the 2010-11 season.

Albrighton’s first season was an undoubted success: six goals in thirty-seven appearances is a healthy return for a wide player. After fast becoming a fans’ favorite, Albrighton fell away in the following seasons when a mixture of playing in a poor side, injuries and a loss of confidence led to his downfall. The more attacking football of Gerard Houiller suited ‘Super Marc’ whereas Alex McLeish and Paul Lambert’s general preference for safety first football never really suited the Tamworth-born winger.

Something that was unthinkable a few years ago has been mentioned in the last few weeks – an England call-up – but would Albrighton get near the Villa team nowadays?

Last season I think he could definitely have been utilised, especially when Tim Sherwood took over. Albrighton is very much a confidence player and the kind of player I could imagine Sherwood getting the best out of. You only have to look at the marked improvement in Cleverley’s game when the shackles came off. He strikes me as another confidence player and Sherwood certainly revitalised him.

The positions behind the central striker have been a problem for Aston Villa over the last few seasons. I believe that is now a thing of the past and, arguably, now our strongest area. If we were to line up with a 4-2-3-1 formation, I think that, currently, SinclairGrealish and possibly Traore would be the most dangerous three to operate behind the central striker. We also have GilAyewBacuna and Cole to come in. That is without mentioning the fact thatAgbonlahor, at a push, can play wide and that N’Zogbia is still registered with us. That is incredible depth, especially after seasons of square pegs in round holes in these positions.

It seems strange to say but I genuinely don’t believe that one of the Premier League’s form players would get into our team: Albrighton would be a good squad option for us but no more than that, in my opinion. The Foxes may well finish above us, with Albrighton having a stellar season, but I think at the moment he is benefitting from playing in a settled team that is high on confidence. The Villans are yet to find their rhythm, which is understandable given the number of new faces in our squad. What this has made me realise is that I am very excited about our options and the direction our squad is heading in.

Aston Villa Football Club has made progress with the squad already this campaign. For the first time in what feels like eternity we have options and as the season goes on I think that we will be wondering what damage our players can do rather than fretting over how the opposition can exploit potential weaknesses in our side.

I like to see any academy graduate who came through at Villa do well. Many go on to have good careers after being released like Steven Davis and Peter Whittingham. Others, like Gary Cahill, come back to haunt us. I don’t believe Albrighton will ever fit into the Cahill category. He will probably be more like the first two players mentioned. He is definitely having a purple patch and will be a dangerous player who the Villa boys will need to contain on Sunday.

It was terrible business to lose Marc Albrighton on a free but, thanks to Tim Sherwood, I don’t think it will be a loss that we will look back on with major regrets.

Aston Villa stats: Numbers point to a victory over high-flying Leicester City

•  
  • 08:49, 10 SEPTEMBER 2015
  • UPDATED  10:51, 10 SEPTEMBER 2015
  • BY STEVE WOLLASTON
These are the areas where Villa should be too strong for Leicester City

Action Images / Ryan BrowneJS70920452.jpg
Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood before the match.

Facing Leicester City away from home is going to be a tough test for Tim Sherwood's side, but a quick look at the stats so far suggests that it will be one they could get three points from.

Of course, numbers count for very little when the studs step on the grass and the tackles start flying, but they do show us the areas that Villa could be successful in.

Passing

Passing averages

80.8%

Aston Villa

68.4%

Leicester City

That's quite a difference in terms of accuracy and it shows Tim Sherwood's team are sticking to the task in hand and trying to keep hold of the ball and do something with it.

Man City's passing average is around 88% so it shows you that Villa are on the right track.

Villa have made 1,388 passes compared to Leicester's 810 in their four games. Both teams have put 57 crosses in the box but Villa's accuracy of 19.7% is better than Leicester's 14.9%.

Defence

Goals conceded

Aston Villa

Leicester City

An area both teams need to be stronger this season to save either being involved in a dogfight at the bottom of the table.

Both teams have conceded 5 goals so far this season with Villa managing 1 clean sheet, Leicester are without one.

It's not a bad goals against tally, especially when you look at other teams, Sunderland on 10, Norwich 8, Chelsea 9.

One area where Villa again hold a big advantage is in their tackling.

Tackling averages

82.3%

Aston Villa

74.2%

Leicester City

Attack

Goals scored

Aston Villa

Leicester City

There is no doubting the fact that Tim Sherwood's team look to have more strength and depth than last season, but they need to get scoring.

Goals win games. Leicester City are third in the table for a reason, they score goals.

They have scored double the amount that Villa have and that could be telling if Villa are not on their game.

There have been times this season already that Villa have not had the rub of the green, a result against Leicester City would be a massive statement of intent.

Conclusion

Leicester City have made a strong and positive start to their campaign. They are dangerous in attack and have plenty of goals in them.

They are also capable of conceding at vital times and there is no doubt that Villa can penetrate their defence with speed.

Villa are doing well in the key areas and the tackling and passing averages could be telling in terms of the overall quality of the game.

An in-form Villa side beating an in-form Leicester City side should always be a realistic proposition, home or away, regardless of league positions.

I think villa and sherwood are never too far away from a battering, like they suffered at Southampton towards the end of last season.

They look a threat going forward but i think we have the better midfield so will hopefully control the game. Both sides generally look better when they have less possession so I hope we don't cancel each other out a little with both wanting to play on the counter.

Start quick, early goal and we'll win.

<p>

Aston Villa stats: Numbers point to a victory over high-flying Leicester City

• 08:49, 10 SEPTEMBER 2015
  • UPDATED 10:51, 10 SEPTEMBER 2015
  • BY STEVE WOLLASTON

These are the areas where Villa should be too strong for Leicester City

Action Images / Ryan BrowneJS70920452.jpgAston Villa manager Tim Sherwood before the match.

Facing Leicester City away from home is going to be a tough test for Tim Sherwood's side, but a quick look at the stats so far suggests that it will be one they could get three points from.

Of course, numbers count for very little when the studs step on the grass and the tackles start flying, but they do show us the areas that Villa could be successful in.Passing

Passing averages

80.8%

Aston Villa

68.4%

Leicester City

That's quite a difference in terms of accuracy and it shows Tim Sherwood's team are sticking to the task in hand and trying to keep hold of the ball and do something with it.

Man City's passing average is around 88% so it shows you that Villa are on the right track.

Villa have made 1,388 passes compared to Leicester's 810 in their four games. Both teams have put 57 crosses in the box but Villa's accuracy of 19.7% is better than Leicester's 14.9%.Defence

Goals conceded

Aston Villa

Leicester City

An area both teams need to be stronger this season to save either being involved in a dogfight at the bottom of the table.

Both teams have conceded 5 goals so far this season with Villa managing 1 clean sheet, Leicester are without one.

It's not a bad goals against tally, especially when you look at other teams, Sunderland on 10, Norwich 8, Chelsea 9.

One area where Villa again hold a big advantage is in their tackling.

Tackling averages

82.3%

Aston Villa

74.2%

Leicester City

Attack

Goals scored

Aston Villa

Leicester City

There is no doubting the fact that Tim Sherwood's team look to have more strength and depth than last season, but they need to get scoring.

Goals win games. Leicester City are third in the table for a reason, they score goals.

They have scored double the amount that Villa have and that could be telling if Villa are not on their game.

There have been times this season already that Villa have not had the rub of the green, a result against Leicester City would be a massive statement of intent.Conclusion

Leicester City have made a strong and positive start to their campaign. They are dangerous in attack and have plenty of goals in them.

They are also capable of conceding at vital times and there is no doubt that Villa can penetrate their defence with speed.

Villa are doing well in the key areas and the tackling and passing averages could be telling in terms of the overall quality of the game.

An in-form Villa side beating an in-form Leicester City side should always be a realistic proposition, home or away, regardless of league positions.

This is brilliant the passing and tackling stats cited as key and quickly gloss over the goals for stats.

IMO we'll be more successful if we continue to play our current, direct brand of football. If we switch to a passing game we'll get found out. Spurs tried to pass it out from the back and we caused them no end of trouble with it.

Archived