Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stox259

Mahrez

Fantastic read that. Really nullifies this 'foreign mercenary' belief in English football. We've seen both Knockaert and now Mahrez come through and always give 100%. On leaving Knockaert even did a private video on his own accord thanking the fans and Leicester. That article echoes that attitude of gratefulness for the opportunity to play Premier League football on a massive wage whilst young English prospects like Berahino and Sterling have spent the entire summer sulking for a move to a bigger club.

It's a pleasure to have such skill and attitude at the club, and I wouldn't dismiss that '110% at all times' attitude for one of the main reasons we've started so well this season...

We really have played an absolute blinder with him. Picked up for relative peanuts, helped him on his way to becoming a pretty special player and he seems to have no real intention of leaving us any time soon.

I think for a club like us he'd be irreplaceable. He's a special talent, the sort you rarely get somewhere like here. Phenomenal player.

Leicester City’s Riyad Mahrez is fast fulfilling his late father’s dreams
Mahrez’s physique meant few coaches believed he would make it as a footballer despite his undoubted skill and speed but the Algeria World Cup star has dumbfounded the doubters by working hard and showing courage.

4658.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

Ahmed Mahrez was 54 when a heart condition took his life. His second son, Riyad, was 15 at the time. That was 2006 and the distraught teenager reacted in the way that would have made his father most proud, hardening his focus to make the most out of the talent that Ahmed had done much to cultivate. The young Mahrez has since outgrown the amateur district league in Paris where he had been playing, competed in the World Cup for the country of his father’s birth, Algeria, and become one of the most exciting – and effective – players in the Premier League for Leicester City.

“My dad was always behind me, he wanted me to be a footballer,” says Mahrez in careful English. “He was always with me. He came to every game with me to give me help. He played before for small teams in Algeria and France so he knew what he was saying, so I listened to him. [His death] maybe was the kickstart. I don’t know if I started to be more serious but after the death of my dad things started to go for me. Maybe in my head I wanted it more.”

Fulfilling his and his father’s ambition still seemed a long shot. He was playing for his local team in Sarcelles, a northern suburb of Paris with abundant state-built tower blocks, high immigrant populations and low career prospects. “We were definitely not rich, but we were not poor,” says Mahrez. “My mum always came home from work and did everything so that we ate well.” It was nature that decreed the young Mahrez would be exceptionally thin and his physique meant few coaches believed he would make it as a footballer despite his baroque skill.

“They said I was too skinny, everyone will push you off the ball,” says the 24-year-old. “I had a good technique but physically I wasn’t too strong. And I wasn’t fast. But I always worked hard.”

Mohamed Coulibaly, the technical director of Sarcelles, agrees, telling L’Equipe last year that: “He was very frail. But he never gave up and that’s paying off. You can see on the pitch that he never hides. From very early on he learned to take responsibilities. He has something more than technique, he has the guts and character that make great players.”

Mahrez still looks slight enough to stash himself behind a post if he were inclined to hide, but he is more powerful now and speed has become one of his best weapons. What most confounds opponents and delights fans is the trickiness of his dribbles. Elusiveness is a quality he honed first in the streets, then at Sarcelle, then at Quimper, the French non-league club that decided to take a chance on him in 2009.

“When you’re skinny or small you don’t go into duels,” he says. “One manager at Quimper said to me: ‘You have to play without contact, you have to be clever because now you’re not strong enough.’”

He developed an anarchic savviness that he reckons academy graduates seldom possess and points to his Leicester team-mates Jamie Vardy and N’Golo Kante, who share his mindset having also worked their way up from non-league. “We’re not programmed. When you’re in an academy, every day you’re in at 9am and it’s: ‘Do this, do that’, but we just came with our football. Sometimes you see me on the pitch and you think I’m playing on the street. That brings something different to the team. It’s better to have a lot of different qualities in the team, it’s a good mix.”

Mahrez has also shown savviness with his career decisions. Ambition has never made him rash. When, after six months at Quimper, Paris Saint-Germain and Marseille came calling, he elected to join Le Havre in Ligue 2 instead. “Le Havre was a good choice for me because they have a good youth system,” he says.

“I played for the under-21s and then the first team. It was difficult for me when I started in the first team because in the French second division it is always so defensive, everybody seems to be playing for 0-0. The first year was difficult, the second year was good. Then I did six months and went to Leicester. My life is like that. It always has to be step by step.”

He took some convincing that English football and the Championship, where Leicester were in 2014, was the right step. “Everybody was saying to me: ‘Riyad, England is not for you, it is too physical, too strong. Spanish football would suit you better.’ So I never thought I would play in England. But I spoke to my agent and he said it would be very good for you. And I spoke with my family. I said: ‘OK, I will give it a go,’ and when I got here I really liked it. When I started training and playing games I thought to myself: ‘I was stupid to hesitate.’”

Leicester were admirably astute, picking up the player for €450,000. He is worth many multiples of that now, having taken his game to new levels and enjoyed experiences that money cannot buy.

“The club has given me everything,” he says. “I discovered the Premier League and played in the [2014] World Cup. I was playing in the Championship but we were always first and always winning so Algeria started watching me. If I was still playing in the second division in France, nobody would have watched me.”

Although he was born in France and his mother is Moroccan, he wanted to play for the country from which his father emigrated. “I used to go to Algeria on holiday every year with him and my brother. I have a lot of family there. I lived in France and grew up there and my mum still lives there but my heart is more Algerian.”

His affection for Leicester has also grown. He was saddened when his first manager at the club, Nigel Pearson, was sacked in June soon after presiding over the club’s sensational escape from relegation.

“Nigel was like a dad to me because when I came here he was always speaking to me and he gave me a lot of confidence. Sometimes he shouted at me and screamed at me but it was for my own good. I was disappointed when he left because he brought me here. He is a good person as well. They brought in a new manager and I didn’t know him.”

But he has come to know and like Claudio Ranieri, too, and attributes his spectacular start to the season, in which he has scored four goals, to the Italian. “He helps us a lot tactically so I’m getting better tactically. We needed that. And he has given me a lot of responsibility and confidence. He gives me the key of the game.

He said: ‘Riyad, do your job offensively and defensively’ because he wants me to be a complete player. He helped me a lot in training and speaks to me.” The Italian’s defensive instructions are helpful, the offensive one simple: “He says: ‘Just go create things. I would never change your game. I like how you play.’”

Ranieri, like Pearson, has warned against expecting too much from Mahrez, pointing out that the player has come a long way in a short time. He withdrew him at half-time at Bournemouth, who successfully nullified him. “He said to me: ‘It was difficult for you, they blocked you. You’re not always going to be the best player on the pitch but that’s OK, there’s nothing wrong.”

Mahrez knows he has to find a way of overcoming extra attention from opponents. But Sunday’s visitors to the King Power Stadium, Aston Villa, may be unhappy to note that he says he still thrives at home. “Sometimes [opponents] put two or three players on me. It’s more difficult away, they close me more, but at home we have a lot of space when we have the ball so it’s better for me.”

Leicester really is home. He married an Englishwoman in the summer before pledging his professional future to the club by signing a contract extension to 2019. That was despite interest from Roma and Villarreal. There were even rumours of inquiries from Barcelona. “I don’t care about things like that. I am a Leicester City footballer and I am happy here. In life if you have to go somewhere you go but I don’t want to think about that.”

His affection for Leicester has also grown. He was saddened when his first manager at the club, Nigel Pearson, was sacked in June soon after presiding over the club’s sensational escape from relegation.

“Nigel was like a dad to me because when I came here he was always speaking to me and he gave me a lot of confidence.

I was disappointed when he left because he brought me here. He is a good person as well. They brought in a new manager and I didn’t know him.”

:wub:

Sometimes he shouted at me and screamed at me but it was for my own good.

lol

“Nigel was like a dad to me because when I came here he was always speaking to me and he gave me a lot of confidence. Sometimes he shouted at me and screamed at me but it was for my own good. I was disappointed when he left because he brought me here. He is a good person as well"

"There were even rumours of inquiries from Barcelona. “I don’t care about things like that. I am a Leicester City footballer and I am happy here. In life if you have to go somewhere you go but I don’t want to think about that.”

Best transfer deal the club has ever done?

Has to be up there for the initial outlay, the sell on value and some quality performances so far. He really has come from nowhere.

Vardy also up there too. When both of them play well we look pretty damn good going forwards.

Has to be up there for the initial outlay, the sell on value and some quality performances so far. He really has come from nowhere.

Vardy also up there too. When both of them play well we look pretty damn good going forwards.

That's a tough one ... Riyad or Vards ???? But what a great situation to be discussing !!

That's a tough one ... Riyad or Vards ???? But what a great situation to be discussing !!

Very tough. I'd say Vardy is more integral to our style of play but both can be equally effective. Mahrez is probably the better signing from a business point of view - spent less, younger, higher re-sale value etc. I'd also argue Mahrez hit the ground running whereas Vardy took a season to get going. Very close and wouldn't like to say just yet with both players starting this season so well.

Very tough. I'd say Vardy is more integral to our style of play but both can be equally effective. Mahrez is probably the better signing from a business point of view - spent less, younger, higher re-sale value etc. I'd also argue Mahrez hit the ground running whereas Vardy took a season to get going. Very close and wouldn't like to say just yet with both players starting this season so well.

I agree but still can't really make my mind up ... I'd suppose you've got to ask who would we miss the most ... But then again that might be influenced by the cover we have in that area .... Oh dear going round in circles again ...

I'll put it to the vote when I get down the pub !

So many factors to consider but simply for outlay and potential profit it's got to be Riyad. Muzzy and Walsh for what they achieved here.

Even though it didn't really work out here in the end I think Knockaert was a big signing for us. His style seemed to change our whole mentality and brought flair to us

If it doesn't work out for them you won't be the only suitor Scouse. Can you whisper sweet nothings in his ear in his native French? I suspect the answer is no. I can. You can't.

this is the reason i did a French a level

Archived