Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Trump Triumphs

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

Both have spoken so much better once the result had been announced.

She finally looked like a human being, it's amazing what defeat can do to a politician.

46 minutes ago, MattP said:

Any Corbynistas getting excited it could be up for grabs? Anti-establishment voting at an all time here, pollsters possibly manipulating public opinion?

A bit more hopeful we won't be annihilated I have to admit. I've never really thought a majority will happen but a hung parliament could be a possibility. What could be interesting is the parallel election campaigns in 2020 if May doesn't hold an early election. The democrats could run a Bernie "successor" and they'd conceivably be two left wing movements running simultaneously that summer. 

55 minutes ago, MattP said:

I posted it earlier, Hillary lost because natural Democrat voters wouldn't come out and vote for her in the same way they did for Obama.

Mitt Romney got 60.9 million votes in 2012 and lost, Donald Trump has got 58.1million in 2016 and is winning a landslide.

The final result looks like a landslide, but that's the colleague system in play. Clearly the vote was a lot closer, especially given the overall numbers - it would only have taken a small swing the other way to flip a couple of the key states.

Given the figures that have been presented as well... It could be argued that Hillary lost this election more than Trump winning it? Naturally Trump won't let us say that too much and he did have a hand in Hillary's downfall, but her tactics / advice on this was all wrong.  

Additionally, its becoming clear why the polls were so out of kilt, because I have no doubt they were factoring in votes cast in the past 2 elections, without weighting them to account they had been for a candidate that had much higher personal approval ratings compared to Hillary (certainly first time round) and let's face it a better campaign - and on this point, I reckon someone could cut videos together of Obama's and Trumps campaigns and find loads of similarities in style and presentation.

Now that really is quite a stark, fundamental and embrassing error for the polling companies. They knew they were dealing with unpresidented scenario, but continued to scale on known ones. 

The Brexit pollers have more of an excuse, but there's none here for the US ones.

5 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

A bit more hopeful we won't be annihilated I have to admit. I've never really thought a majority will happen but a hung parliament could be a possibility. What could be interesting is the parallel election campaigns in 2020 if May doesn't hold an early election. The democrats could run a Bernie "successor" and they'd conceivably be two left wing movements running simultaneously that summer. 

Clearly a lot depends on the "progress" of both May and Trump with their respective tasks... but I wonder if this result could encourage May to spin the dice and call an early election as she may feel she needs that safeguard of a few extra years.

Trying to negotiate Brexit with a difficulty in your own Parilmentary structure! with the now additional uncertainties of a US under Trump, French and German elections coming up and whatever Russia may be playing at.

Add in the confidence she will have that the overall public mood is with her for the time being, there's a lot of tactical reasons why she might go for it.

19 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

The final result looks like a landslide, but that's the colleague system in play. Clearly the vote was a lot closer, especially given the overall numbers - it would only have taken a small swing the other way to flip a couple of the key states.

Given the figures that have been presented as well... It could be argued that Hillary lost this election more than Trump winning it? Naturally Trump won't let us say that too much and he did have a hand in Hillary's downfall, but her tactics / advice on this was all wrong.  

Additionally, its becoming clear why the polls were so out of kilt, because I have no doubt they were factoring in votes cast in the past 2 elections, without weighting them to account they had been for a candidate that had much higher personal approval ratings compared to Hillary (certainly first time round) and let's face it a better campaign - and on this point, I reckon someone could cut videos together of Obama's and Trumps campaigns and find loads of similarities in style and presentation.

Now that really is quite a stark, fundamental and embrassing error for the polling companies. They knew they were dealing with unpresidented scenario, but continued to scale on known ones. 

The Brexit pollers have more of an excuse, but there's none here for the US ones.

Polls are polls, they do not factor in any past voting behavior, simply a respondent's answer. Pollsters, pundits, and media outlets used various methodologies to come up with their projections based on the data in the polls and other factors.

There certainly were different approaches used: Nate Silver at fivethirtyeight provided detailed rationale for his methodology, for example; he also projected that Trump had a reasonable chance to win. Certainly the polls missed something and on top of that, we probably also saw convergence of various polls during the last few days of the campaign, since the pollsters were probably reluctant to look like an outlier so close to the election.

36 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

8 minutes ago, The_77 said:

Polls are polls, they do not factor in any past voting behavior, simply a respondent's answer. Pollsters, pundits, and media outlets used various methodologies to come up with their projections based on the data in the polls and other factors.

There certainly were different approaches used: Nate Silver at fivethirtyeight provided detailed rationale for his methodology, for example; he also projected that Trump had a reasonable chance to win. Certainly the polls missed something and on top of that, we probably also saw convergence of various polls during the last few days of the campaign, since the pollsters were probably reluctant to look like an outlier so close to the election.

And the polls were much closer in the US than in the UK for Brexit, just that the difference between our polls and the result is amplified by our Electoral College.

Brexit - Trump - I think you've got to blame it on protest votes.

Now i'm not saying I agree with Brexit or Trump, tbh I'm not bothered either way - what does bother me or annoy me should I say is everyone who seems to think they're a political expert on social media all of sudden - the likes of people who are outraged simply because they're following the crowd and they're not quite sure what they're supposed to be outraged about.

I'm not going to become one of those that I've just talked about - I know nothing, I'm not that interested, but this is my view - I think you have to put some of the blame on those before them for the mess there countries were already in, "the people" (i.e. The majority who voted) are pissed of with the running of their country whether it be here with the brexit vote or the yanks with the Trump vote, it's an extreme, probably won't make anything better, might/possibly make it worse but it's a protest vote, ultimately the majority who voted its what people want so it's time to get on with it.

1 hour ago, lgfualol said:

Well its been about 8 hours since he became president and I havent been nuked so pretty happy about that

Won't take office until mid-January 2017, but I guess you can never tell whether he'll want to inspect the facilities beforehand already so he can grab that p***y button.

49 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

If Trump does get assassinated then the usa is even more ****ed. Mike Pence would take over, the guy who wants gay conversion therapy and abortions to be illegal lol Trump seems fantastic in comparison

Surely they're from the same school of thought otherwise why would Pence be associated with Trump?

Archived