Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ramboacdc

Woy?

6 minutes ago, Worthington said:

Roy Hodgson....Certainly not everyone's 'cup of tea', but bring him in in an 'advisory' role, possibly with a view to appointing him as DOF, and we wouldn't go far wrong.

Us fans might be sceptical, but RH has enormous respect amongst the players and a vast knowledge of European football. He's a 'friendly uncle' type, yet known for having a 'steely' side too. History of doing well with 'lower profile' teams .......wouldn't rock the boat, but could really add something to the club's profile. After all, if you were a decent young talent, looking for a career move, would you rather be negotiating with Hodgson or Rudkin ??

No

18 minutes ago, David Lowe said:

I have seen it happen so many times with these caretaker managers. They step in, get a couple of good results and get the job - but they can never keep it going over a longer period of time. So definitely not Shakespeare as permanent manager but I'm sure he will do well whilst we look for somebody else.

Barcelona promote from within all the time. Guardiola, Vilanova. Real Madrid did it with Zidane. Chelsea did it with Di Matteo. For every time it doesn't work there is a time where it does. It is no more risky then hiring a completely new manager. 

So Woy, Pardew and Hiddink have all had preliminary discussions with the club which can only be a good thing. They are already talking to people and will continue to do so then by the summer can make a decent informed decision about who to bring in.

Shakey can steady the ship until the season ends. They've clearly given him Liverpool and Hull to make sure he's not John Carver or Terry Connor and the performance against Liverpool followed by a draw/win against Hull will make certain he's not a numpty.

Then he'll be offered the gig on Tuesday after the Hull game until season ends, players are happy and settled with that and the media madness calms down, with 7 days to prepare well for Sevilla and focus.

11 minutes ago, Worthington said:

Roy Hodgson....Certainly not everyone's 'cup of tea', but bring him in in an 'advisory' role, possibly with a view to appointing him as DOF, and we wouldn't go far wrong.

Us fans might be sceptical, but RH has enormous respect amongst the players and a vast knowledge of European football. He's a 'friendly uncle' type, yet known for having a 'steely' side too. History of doing well with 'lower profile' teams .......wouldn't rock the boat, but could really add something to the club's profile. After all, if you were a decent young talent, looking for a career move, would you rather be negotiating with Hodgson or Rudkin ??

Not sure Roy has the respect of Vardy and Drinky.... could lead to 'terroristic' trouble before long

4 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Also Micky Adams was brought in with Bassett with the full intention that he would take over the following season.

Because we were already relegated with 3 matches remaining he took over earlier.

Micky gets a load of stock he doesn't deserve. Ok- the team was dire, but he had no money. I think we came up and spent under a million in the hope of staying up?

7 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

Barcelona promote from within all the time. Guardiola, Vilanova. Real Madrid did it with Zidane. Chelsea did it with Di Matteo. For every time it doesn't work there is a time where it does. It is no more risky then hiring a completely new manager. 

Again with Di Matteo he had already been a manager. I was really thinking about 'number twos' who have always been 'number twos'. There are very few who can do a good managerial job over a decent length of time.

2 hours ago, ajthefox said:

I agree with that, I never understood why Liverpool (or England) appointed him anyway. I think consolidating a top 6 spot will be incredibly hard but that's a separate issue really.

I just pointed out it wasn't poor. There are 12 teams in the league right now who are all below 35% win percentage. Two are between 42 and 46% and the then the top 6 are all >50%

Poor for Liverpool though. Hence the sack. Poor for Blackburn after he took over, (not that long after they won the league when they still had good resources) hence the sack. He's poor, past it and when he's had the resources, he's been unable to be anything other than average/slightly below average. He'd be a mind bogglingly bad appointment. 

4 minutes ago, David Lowe said:

Again with Di Matteo he had already been a manager. I was really thinking about 'number twos' who have always been 'number twos'. There are very few who can do a good managerial job over a decent length of time.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Pearson used to be a coach at Stoke under Gary Megson! Jose Mourinho started out as Bobby Robson's interpreter when he was in Portugal before Robson took him to Barcelona with him as a coach. 

15 minutes ago, David Lowe said:

John Carver. Best coach in the league :thumbup:

1 hour ago, 4everfox said:

So what your saying is that we should appoint Heskey as manager? :unsure:

2 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

So what your saying is that we should appoint Heskey as manager? :unsure:

Are you aware that they were all part of the coaching staff at their respective clubs before becoming manager? The fact they played for them too never really crossed my mind. They were just some high profile examples of coaches who successfully transitioned to managers, but there are hundreds of others who do too. 

4 hours ago, David Lowe said:

Bob Paisley didn't do a bad job at Liverpool . He had been the club physio before Shankley.

This is genius from the club. They know the players are in a delicate frame of mind this season and to get us back to the never say die, band of brothers of previous seasons they need to scare the players with the possibility of a Hodgson. The players know that another win vs Hull and Shakey, who they all love will then probably get the gig until the end of the season. It's a fantastic motivation tool. Keep this scaremongering vs Sevilla and we're in the fcukin quarter finals!!

Archived