Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ramboacdc

Woy?

3 hours ago, sylofox said:

Good news been told Shakey is in with Whealan Rudkin and the owners right now. This is a must do for me.

Great news, as long as they aren't asking him "Woy tells us he'd like to keep you on as assistant boot boy, how do you feel about that?, oh, and how are you at psychology?"........

2 minutes ago, Ricey said:

The owners love a name. They can't help themselves.

They hired Sousa because he was a legendary player, Sven because he managed England, Ranieri because he'd managed to some of the top clubs in the world and now we are being linked with Hodgson because he's an ex-England manager. They want to dine at the top table again and they think it's as simple as hiring a 'high-profile' manager.

Most of those managers listed above have enjoyed great success in their careers, but they were/are not a right fit for this squad or club. We have a group of determined players who like to be the underdog, Hodgson's style does not suit that. He's also been shown up to be a dinosaur when it comes to modern football. It would be a disaster.

The likes of Sven / Sousa were on a long, long time ago though weren't they. 

I trust the owners are far more shrewd in appointing managers than they were then. 

5 minutes ago, Ricey said:

The owners love a name. They can't help themselves.

They hired Sousa because he was a legendary player, Sven because he managed England, Ranieri because he'd managed to some of the top clubs in the world and now we are being linked with Hodgson because he's an ex-England manager. They want to dine at the top table again and they think it's as simple as hiring a 'high-profile' manager.

Most of those managers listed above have enjoyed great success in their careers, but they were/are not a right fit for this squad or club. We have a group of determined players who like to be the underdog, Hodgson's style does not suit that. He's also been shown up to be a dinosaur when it comes to modern football. It would be a disaster.

Yeah, that's all our owners do...

Just now, walkerleeds said:

The likes of Sven / Sousa were on a long, long time ago though weren't they. 

I trust the owners are far more shrewd in appointing managers than they were then. 

A sceptic would say they hired Ranieri purely because he'd managed Inter, Juve etc. In fact, they pretty much said as much when he was announced.

I don't think they had any idea that he would carry on Pearson's good work and take us to the top. Their thinking could have been 'oh, I've heard of him, we'll look good as the next club on his CV".

Just now, Ricey said:

A sceptic would say they hired Ranieri purely because he'd managed Inter, Juve etc. In fact, they pretty much said as much when he was announced.

I don't think they had any idea that he would carry on Pearson's good work and take us to the top. Their thinking could have been 'oh, I've heard of him, we'll look good as the next club on his CV".

We certainly don't have a DNA we recruit to each time like Southampton do. However it somehow worked last season beyond anything any other club our size will ever do. It would be nice if they now had a longer term structure in place.

3 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

Great news, as long as they aren't asking him "Woy tells us he'd like to keep you on as assistant boot boy, how do you feel about that?, oh, and how are you at psychology?"........

lol definitely not as it seems he has the job till the summer at least :)

1 minute ago, Ricey said:

Incredibly cynical mate! Anyway, Shakespeare looks like he's got it judging by some of the comments on here...

Roy Hodgson is 70 and is most famous for being the England manager in charge of losing to Iceland in a major European competition. Not a good appointment for either the short or long term and would be an unpopular choice with the fans.

I would say we should just let Shakespeare have it until the end of the season and make another decision then, but you have to think about things like lining up summer transfer targets and so on. With what's happened I wonder how many will be moving on. I actually think more players will stay (providing we stay up) now because of recent events although I expect Mahrez, Musa, Ulloa and a few others to leave. Someone will have to oversee all of that, as poor recruitment was costly for us this year.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he took the job in the summer. No point in him coming in now and I think the owners have realised that and will stick with Shakey. However i'd imagine the talks on Friday if they happened, were to chat about starting a fresh in the summer and building his own team that way. 

The people above who have said "We're a team full of underdogs" well, we've won the league and done well in the Champions League, i'd say it might be a good time to start over, ship 5 or 6 out and let someone build a new team ethos.

I don't want that to be Roy but i'd imagine if he has been offered it, it will be to take over once this season is done. 

You're all letting the England job blind you.

I don't like Hodgson, never have, and I said on here at the time that Redknapp should have got the England job instead (I stand by that still) and Hodgson's football is horrible and very defensive ... HOWEVER .... the job he has done at similar clubs has been relatively ok (apart from Blackburn but that was 20 years ago now).

He took Fulham from a position similar to ourselves right now and turned them into a stable team that made the final of the Europa League. He lost less than 50 games in 130 at Fulham. Before the England job he was at WBA too, again a steady job.

I don't think he should be our number one target but if we're looking for someone to stable us, make us hard to beat and keep us up then Hodgson should be in with a shout - even if he's just here untill the summer.

surely the owners have learnt from the failures of Sousa/Sven? They shouldn't be hiring anyone based on names!! Either give it Pearson, or Shakey until the end of the season. Preferably Shakey as he's the least risky option at this moment in time.

45 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I don't like Hodgson, never have, and I said on here at the time that Redknapp should have got the England job instead (I stand by that still) and Hodgson's football is horrible and very defensive ... HOWEVER .... the job he has done at similar clubs has been relatively ok (apart from Blackburn but that was 20 years ago now).

He took Fulham from a position similar to ourselves right now and turned them into a stable team that made the final of the Europa League. He lost less than 50 games in 130 at Fulham. Before the England job he was at WBA too, again a steady job.

I don't think he should be our number one target but if we're looking for someone to stable us, make us hard to beat and keep us up then Hodgson should be in with a shout - even if he's just here untill the summer.

5 or 10 years ago maybe. He'll be 70 before next season which is too old.

37 minutes ago, Ricey said:

The owners love a name.

You can't get much bigger than Shakespeare in this country.

I think this Hodgson thing is much ado about nothing. OK so this season has been a comedy of errors and so far and we've made a bit of a Richard the Third of it all but after last year's midsummer night's dream, if you pit Shakespeare against Hodgson measure for measure, I'm sure it'll be a case of all's well that ends well.

If we don't stay up I'll shove last season's Champions DVD up my Coriolanus.

29 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

We are not Fulham or West Brom. Even without the title we should have more ambition than these clubs with far inferior crowds. 

Let's put aside all my very valid reason for him being an absolute cvnt for a second - why on earth do you think the style of football he plays would suit us? I mean, it wouldn't suit anyone, it's backward and clueless and slow, but what makes you think he's the right fit for us?

We don't want a manager who makes us hard to beat, we need a manager who makes win. Making us 'hard to beat' will only serve to give us less chance of scoring goals, which is our main strength.

7 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

We are not Fulham or West Brom. Even without the title we should have more ambition than these clubs with far inferior crowds. 

Let's put aside all my very valid reason for him being an absolute cvnt for a second - why on earth do you think the style of football he plays would suit us? I mean, it wouldn't suit anyone, it's backward and clueless and slow, but what makes you think he's the right fit for us?

We don't want a manager who makes us hard to beat, we need a manager who makes win. Making us 'hard to beat' will only serve to give us less chance of scoring goals, which is our main strength.

I'm not comparing clubs nor am I comparing fans (although fanbase is not an issue as we are a one club City and are obviously going to have a bigger crowd) I'm comparing where we are at the minute. Fulham were dead and buried untill Hodgson kept them up - I remember them winning away at Manchester City to stay up.

I already said I don't like him or his football lol I think he'll be a right suit untill the summer because he'd made us hard to beat. The problem for us is our defence look totally out of their depth - or did do untill the Liverpool game. If our main strength is scoring goals then we're already doomed because we don't score enough as it is.

Listen, I don't like him. I've stated that. He shouldn't be our #1 target either but lets not totally write him off on the back of a very tough England job.

16 minutes ago, AjcW said:

The odds on SkyBet are mad! Roy just dropped like a stone to 10/11 and it makes shakey profitable odds again! Tempted to lump on Shakey.... 

Hate to say it, but either everyone is putting bets on at our expense (for a good laugh) or there is an almost inevitable feeling about this.

I fear it may be the latter...

45 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Would take where WBA are now without any question. We won the league last season, we are near the bottom this. Let's just stay up and get league stability for a bit eh? 

Archived