Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WarehamFox

Atletico Madrid match thread

Well, save for the goal, we were ok. It was almost a carbon copy of the one of the Sevilla goals. Just a slight mix up in communication between Albrighton and Fuchs. Expensive mix up. 

I would take off Drinky, too slow and not even picking passes and maybe put Gray on and go 433 with Vardy, Gray and Mahrez up top and Shinji behind. That would put a lot of pressure on Ndidi in the middle with Albrighton though. 

Just now, Webbo said:

Not looking good is it? Don't really look like scoring.

They are so solid defensively, we need some magic of some kind.  The two most influential players are not hitting the heights (Mahrez and Drinks) and haven't been for a while.

Gray will come on, but can be finish?  Or make the right pass?

Three of the four midfield players haven't had a good game. Not surprising AM can just pass around as much as they want. Drinky isn't happy unless he is passing to touch or backwards. Mahrez is running straight at traffic rather than into it. Albrighton isn't anywhere. At least Ndidi has made a couple of interceptions. Without a midfield you can never create enough chances to win a game like this. Not a single cross into the box outside of set pieces.

1 minute ago, cityfanlee23 said:

But oh great one, You've not told us what is? 

Maybe having someone in the box who can actually head a cross?

Deary me.

Where on earth are these mysterious crosses going to appear from?

We lost the tie in the first leg, i said at the time, but those on here who either 

a) Were too blinkered by their blue tinted spectacles

b) Have no knowledge of the fact that Atletico are the worst team in European football we could play

can't/haven't been able to see this.

1 hour ago, cityfanlee23 said:

waste of time playing albrighton against these. 
No space on the wing and not enough flair or pace to create it, even if he does nobody to cross to. 

Bring ulloa on for okazaki, or bring Gray on for albrighton.

Sod that. Bring on Gray and get Mahrez out of our squad so he can perform his 'magic' elsewhere.

Sorry, miffed.

I think we have made a good account of ourselves. Unfortuntately, we are a decent striker light. Vardy is doing his best to get involved and so is running that channels but then we have no one capable in the box. I know he divides opinion, but we really could have done with Slimani in the box.

Disappointed Mahrez didn't close that cross down, as he had so much time to pick that out. Very good header though.

Gray for Okazaki and Mahrez free role in the middle. Ulloa to come on if no change and get a load of crosses in the box 

3 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

So your answer is just to accept defeat and learn some lessons then?

I agree atletico's lineup is perfect. 

That's exactly why it's a waste of time playing okazaki in the middle with albrighton on the wing. 

It's exactly why we need a big man to head the crosses, or alternatively a young flair player to run at them and open up space. 

If we were more clinical, we'd probably gotten a goal out of our two chances in the first half.

But we're not, we're not near the level of Atlético. The only way we can still swing this in our favour is pressure and application and players going for a 120% display from start to finish. Which plays straight into Atlético's hands again.

They're happy to actively defend this 2-0 on aggregate. There's only a handful of teams I can see being able to break down this Atlético system implemented by Simeone.

The goal tonight is just another tough blow from Atlético that really hurts because it came so unexpectedly.

Still, let's try it. Go for the goal. And learn the lesson regardless. If it makes us better in the long run, so be it. I hope it does.

Dreadful first half. We gave them too much respect and came in completlely paralyzed by what's at stake. We began in the "not lose" mindset and paid dearly for it. Man, Atletico are not even in the second gear.

Bitter to concede after our first dangerous attack where Mahrez should have released the ball earlier. But that's Atletico for you and a small reminder to anyone who thought or still thinks they're average. They're completely outplaying us with a confidence that borderline looks like arrogance.

Now there is nothing more to lose, so either our players put their fingers out of their arses and give them the half time of their life or we're going out with three in the bag.

Just now, Grewks said:

Deary me.

Where on earth are these mysterious crosses going to appear from?

We lost the tie in the first leg, i said at the time, but those on here who either 

a) Were too blinkered by their blue tinted spectacles

b) Have no knowledge of the fact that Atletico are the worst team in European football we could play

can't/haven't been able to see this.

You still have not made any point in this entire conversation that goes against what I am saying. 

You're just talking irellevant nonsense now. 

So you're saying our game plan should be just to accept the loss?

They are very, very good and by playing Drinkwater we're effectively playing them with 10 men, making an already difficult task harder.

At the risk of coming off as in-game hyperbole I have no reservations in saying I would not be disappointed if he left this summer. He's had his chances for me now and I'm not having this injury nonesense. If he was injured he wouldn't be starting the biggest game in our history. Game after game he misplaces the most simple of passes and disrupts anything good we try to do. I can't remember being this outraged at a Leicester player starting each week. He really has been THAT bad.

Archived